Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I don't know if this has been asked already but I'll ask anyway...

I am applying to university through UCAS at the moment, and am pretty sure I am going to take a gap year, but it's not all sorted yet, so I don't want to put down deferred entry not knowing what I am going to do. There is still a chance I might not take a year out.
I have heard that once you are offered a place, unis are quite happy to defer your place if you call them and tell them of your intentions. Is this true with most universities or could they just say no, apply again next year? As I would really like a secured place at uni before I go travelling if I take a year out.

Thanks in advance for any replies x :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The UCAS site says this: "If you are happy with your choice of university or college but you want to defer your application for a year, you should write to the university or college directly, not to us. If the university or college agrees, it will tell us about the change. If we have already sent you an offer for your original choice, we will change it and send you a new one. "

Remember to inform your LEA in plenty of time too (once the uni has accepted your decision) so that you get all your funding. If the uni does turn around and say no, you can always apply for courses through clearing the following year.

Susie :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im on a gap year now but only decided late on. I didn't defer but my uni let me defer later on!