Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gap Year Snobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just wanted to ask everyone who's having Freshers Weeks at the moment (or indeed anyone at uni) if it is actually true that there's a group of people who all took gap years who all hang around together wearing ethnic jewellery and beginning all their sentences with "when I was backpacking in the Himalayas......" Am I destined to become one of them?!!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not if you backpacked in Guatamalo :) or Timbuctoo or the Outback...or...or...
    Yes and No. It's probably not their fault, as when applying for accomodation you get grouped into flats etc by your interests, so the accomodation people will go, 'Oh look all these girls did gap years, they're bound to get on', when in fact it may be all they have in common and thus all they have to talk about with each other...

Once you get past their 'I've been to India' outfits, most of them are actually decent people :)
    Originally posted by SuperCharger
    Not if you backpacked in Guatamalo :) or Timbuctoo or the Outback...or...or...

lol!!!

I think you'll be fine, don't worry. ;)
    Depends which uni you are at, but when I introduced myself to my next door neighbour in halls last year she said hello and was quite nice until she saw another girl and exclaimed 'I had that very same backpack when I was touring (insert third world nation here)' and she shoved past me, said 'bye sarah' and we never spoke again.
    I'm not called Sarah......
    i think that i would be the best person to answer this post

I have just started university and took a gap year. Thus, they have put me in a hall flat with others who have done gap years. What you have to remember is that not everyone who took a gap year travelled to some obscure place. There are a true mix of us, some who travelled, some who worked, some who went to college etc. And, its surprising but we all get on very well, at the moment anyway. Therefore i think you are worrying unnecessarily
    Yeah...there are people like me who worked in WHSmiths for a year and feel very silly next to people who went to Africa to save starving children...
    we sooooooooooo have that at my uni. I'm the only person in my english class that didnt travel before coming here, and one of two people who didn't have a gap year

Its not that I'm bitter or anything - I've always known that I could EITHER go travelling OR go to uni not both as funds won't stretch that far - but I do feel a tad left out at times when everyone's talking about the wonderful places they've been to and the things they've seen and done.

Ah well, one day. When I'm famous and rich and know everything and pigs fly on rainbow coloured wings in an aquamarine sky (hmmmmm that sounds like a song lyric - is it??? It might just be me subconciously nicking someone else's brilliant [?] rhyme here)
    Hang on, ive taken a year out to WORK and earn some much needed money, so technically im on a gap year. But does this mean when im applying for accomodation they'll stick me in a flat with Tarquin and Synthia who've been to Mongolia rescuing drowning cats and planting trees?

I'd rather be with some other "common" students! :confused:
    Originally posted by lennon
    stick me in a flat with Tarquin

Oi! Leave Dom out of this. :p

Ooh, I've been waiting years to say that!