Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hons year and new baby

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Posted this in student, but the tumbleweed was flying through that place and I'm looking for fast advice!

I've just finished my degree, but want to do honours. I'm meant to be starting tomorrow, but I've got an 11 week old baby. I'm really keen to do it, but am scared I'll mess up and end up with crap grades.

What do you lot think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't understand... I thought you either did an honours degree or you didn't. I didn't know you could go back and get them? How much of your time would it take up? Would there be implications with work etc?
    People have done far harder things.

It will require sacrifices, but you know you have the strength within you to do this, and make sure your child is well cared for.

Even if you don't do the Hon's degree you will still have to get a job, and they are much less flexable than most Uni's. Hell, the majority or Uni's have a creche, and thats a big bonus.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

(and where's the heartfelt advice from the rest of you bastards... You're making me be nice here :mad: )
    I did my degree with three! Well, when I started my twins were 3 and my son was 2. I got help with nursery fees from the college and I did my work when they were in bed. It was tough, and there were times when I didn't think I could carry on. But I did, I graduated and I'm now doing the job I've always wanted to do.
    Originally posted by barbie
    I don't understand... I thought you either did an honours degree or you didn't. I didn't know you could go back and get them?

That's confused me aswell :confused:

I've done my degree and thinking about it, it'd be bloody hard with a baby to cope with aswell! But having said that you can get help, and if it's something you really want to do then go ahead, or you'll forever be wishing that you'd done it! Another option though - could you wait a bit til the baby's either at nursery or school? You'd have more time then surely? Just an idea...
    I don't understand... I thought you either did an honours degree or you didn't.

In Scotland a degree is four years long. You can leave after 3rd year with an Ordinary Degree, or proceed to 4th to get Hons.

No chance of waiting til the baby is in school. Geez, half my life will have passed me by by then!

I've decided to go for it anyway. If I don't manage it I'll die trying.
    Do it, I have a job and kids (admitedly I have my wife to help me with the last - you don't say what support you have) and I am well into a post-grad course...it can be done but it will affect your social life...

That said, it is only for one year, so what have you to lose....
    Go for it, put baby in the university creche, at 11 weeks he wont know any different so it will be easier tio settle him now, than in future.
    I get it now. However I'm still not sure what honours are 'for'?

My advice is to go for it, you've got nothing to lose.
    I get it now. However I'm still not sure what honours are 'for'?

Presumably the same as they are in England - a better class of degree, darling!

Different types of degree:

Ordinary Degree (i.e. scraped through, or not stayed on for 4th year in Scotland)

Third Class (pants)

Second Class ("not tried hard enough" but ok)

Upper Second Class/ 2:1 (what everybody aims for)

First Class (for the DJPs and Melissas of this world!)

So, staying on to do honours would no doubt improve her job prospects.
    Originally posted by Meryn

Presumably the same as they are in England - a better class of degree, darling!

Different types of degree:

Ordinary Degree (i.e. scraped through, or not stayed on for 4th year in Scotland)

Third Class (pants)

Second Class ("not tried hard enough" but ok)

Upper Second Class/ 2:1 (what everybody aims for)

First Class (for the DJPs and Melissas of this world!)

So, staying on to do honours would no doubt improve her job prospects.
    Yeah I get the different classifications, just not the honours bit. Oh well I did OK with my 2:1 with honours :D , I won't worry about it!