Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

All pre-med students, please read!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie, 16 years old, I've just started a diploma course in care at college, and I'm not sure what exactly to do after college. I know I want to go to University, and study something related to healthcare. I'm torn between a degree in nursing and Preliminary medicine. I'm academically equipped to do both if I pass this course OK, which my tutor says I definitely will. The subjects both have their good and bad points.
I'm fairly sussed about what the nursing degree is like, but not about the medicine one. I don't mean to sound weak-willed but five/six years doing one thing sounds like a hell of a long time to have to survive through. I know the rewards are amazing, but to be in poverty until my mid-twenties just sounds weird to me, unless med students actually earn on their placements?????? I'm probably boring everyone on the website to sleep (if they're not already tucked up lol), so I'll end this here>>Thanks for listening to this dull cow!!
HunnyPot
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't mean to sound weak-willed but five/six years doing one thing sounds like a hell of a long time to have to survive through

You said it, and if there is one thing needed for medicine, it's commitment. Admissions tutors want to know that perspective applicants won't just drop out when the going gets tough.
    I know the rewards are amazing

Yes, they can be, and it's a career which has new challenges every day. (i.e paperwork :p) but it's also hard, draining and docs have to accept the fact that one day, all their patients are going to die. They don't save any lives, they just prolong them.

Ask yourself, what's your motivation? Don't just go into something just because you can get the grades, it has to be something you really enjoy and really really want.

Do some work experience in some hospitals if you can and volunteering. That's when you see the nitty gritty of it, and may help you to make your decision. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Right,thanks for all that...bu....useful information :D. I know being a doctor or a nurse is something I'll really enjoy, I love challenge, and different situations, and I know that my patients will die. Now can someone answer my questions? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Right,thanks for all that...bu....useful information

Oh yes one piece of info I forgot, a lot of doctors are also arrogant, rude, and show a blatant disregard to people's feelings, so I'm not really sure if you would fit in......

If you want to know whether they earn or not during placements, give some hospitals or medical schools a ring, you would get a quicker answer there, or on various pre-med forums, which I have forgotton the URL's to.
  • Options
    Okeydoke. Thanks for the compliment, I know doctors can be like that sometimes but I'm sure alot of them are nice people after all they have chosen an occupation that requires compassion and respect for all walks of life. It doesn't bother me what they're like really, thats just them, As long as they treat me with respect, I'll fit in, don't worry about me!