Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm only 15 but i have decided to drop out of school and get a job as i am struggling in school and really dont like it or get on with people. i have made up my mind that isnt the problem though the problem is that i have to tell me dad about it he is really understanding but i really dunno what to say.:crazyeyes

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im sorry but thats just stupid.
    What do you plan to get a job as?
    Re: School
    Originally posted by EMILY
    i'm only 15 but i have decided to drop out of school and get a job as i am struggling in school

You'll be struggling a lot more if you drop it. Where do you expect to get a job?
    ????

IT DOESNT MATTER I JUST HAVE TO GET OUT OF SCHOOL
    Re: ????

IT DOESNT MATTER I JUST HAVE TO GET OUT OF SCHOOL

Why dont you transfer? I might as well have dropped out at 15...i only attended school 1/2 days a week in my final 18months. You dont wanna be the same way as i am at the mo...moneyless and unemployed.
    Oh God. Firstly I'm going to lecture you and say that leaving school at 15 with no qualifications isn't really your best option. Have you spoken to your guidance counseller to see how she can help? She could perhaps organise extra tuition and/or move you to a different class where you may get on with classmates.

If your heart is set on leaving you need to think seriously about what you want to do in life. The employment world is cut throat these days and you will be hard pushed to find someone to hire you without a standard grade or GCSE. Even office juniors or apprentices are required to have these.

Is college an option for you? I know of a few people who went to College young, but to be honest they all dropped out. Too much freedom so young meant they fell behind in coursework. They were also younger than the rest of their classmates, so couldn't join in in trips to the pub, nights out etc. Before they knew it they were worse off than they were at school.

I know it must be hard for you, but you should try and stick in there. The rest of your life will be full of situations where you can either run away from your problems or face up to them and if you face up to your troubles just now, then you've taken a major step to being successful in life.

If you do decide to leave, approach your guidance teacher for help and advice anyway. Think about what you want to do with your life and approach your dad once this is all clear in your head. He will react more favourably if you have a plan of action.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
    Forgot to add that at 15, you're not entitled to any benefits.
    Please add me to MSN, I can help: Davy_boy2000@hotmail.com

What exactly is the reason you wish to drop out?

BTW, I'll have you know. it's illegal for you to drop out because you have to go through year 11 first, else either you get sent to a juvenile prison, or your parents get fined heavily/imprisoned -- or both.

I am 17 and I'm at college. I didn't want to drop out of school, I wanted to kill myself. That's how bad school was for me. I sorted the problems out and I'm flying through life atm. Job, @ college with IT, good grades (6 passes), gorgeous girlfriend, in music industry with MC'in, loads of mates, you name it...I can achieve it. All because I held on to hope and solved problems, rather then running away from them.

[no big headed-ness intended!]
    ????

i want to leave school cos i hate it i cant stand it and half my school has already left.
    p.s ur msn name dont work mines emziebra@hotmail.com
    Re: ????
    i want to leave school cos i hate it i cant stand it and half my school has already left.

Maybe you should think about getting a part time job outside of school hours and you might develop a more positive attitude towards things, and if you do decide to leave school later on you've got something to fall back on.

Just an idea :)
    now unless your school is about 10 people, i highly doubt that half the people have left.
    i have known a few people that have dropped out. one, who is 20, and one hwo is 25 both live with their parents, have part time minimum wage jobs, and hate their life more than they had at school. then there are the younger ones, 18, who dropped out last year and have worked at min. jobs and are now trying to get back to school so they dont' work in shit hole jobs their entire life.

i hated school too, i wasn't totally social, i have a tendancy to hate people. i wanted to quit extremly badly, then i realized that if i did i would be poor and in worse condition than i was now.

there are plenty of things you can do instead if you hate going that much, for example my junior and senior year, i took all my classes at the local college, or you could transfer, or you could even transfer to home-schooling, there are soo many options
    You should at least do your GCSEs before leaving.
    You know what? I hated school too. I don't mean disliked; i couldn't talk about how much i didnt like being there without crying. It wasn't even the people that got me down, i was quite popular, in fact, they were the only reason i went in, because i hated being there. I can understand where you're coming from, but i will say this - you will not get a job at 15. You can't, for a start, it's illegal to employ you to work full time, and you need a NI number/card, which you wont have yet. Add that to the fact that you need GCSE's - it's all very well knowing that you can add up, read and write, but how are you going to prove that to potential employers? They're gonna look at your CV/application form and think 'illiterate, innumerate fool, no GCSE's, no qualifications, i'll hire this person here who has 5 GCSE's and can prove to me that they can read and add up'.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but if you drop out now, you will find yourself in the same position in 10 years time as you will be in when you drop out - in a dead end job with no prospects. I would suggest changing schools, or having a talk with a careers advisor at school, who will talk you through what you need to succeed at what you want to do.

I stuck it out, i got my GCSE's, and then i started sixth form, (i didn't even change school!) and everything go SO much better. stick it out, get your GCSE's, THEN think about what you want to do, you will have so many more options then. You could do A levels, GNVQs, modern apprenticeships, there's a whole load of things out there that will give you so many more opportunities than dropping out now will.
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    I'm sorry to be harsh, but if you drop out now, you will find yourself in the same position in 10 years time as you will be in when you drop out - in a dead end job with no prospects. I would suggest changing schools, or having a talk with a careers advisor at school, who will talk you through what you need to succeed at what you want to do.

Absolutely right. You'd be nuts to drop out now. Just really go for it and get your GCSEs. It's much harder years down the line when you realise what you've done and have to go back into education. I know. I did it. Three babies, no money and I struggled my way through a degree. Now I'm teaching and I love it, but I wish I'd stayed on at school, I wasted years in dead end jobs because I left too early.
    I hated school too but stuck it out till my GCSEs as I didn't want to spend the rest of my life working in Primark for four pounds an hour. You've got less than one year of your life left at school. If you drop out now you'll regret it for the rest of your shelf-stacking life.
    I hated school as well but I stayed and got 7 GCSES and you know how I felt when I got my results?

I felt absolutely chuffed knowing that I'd survived school.

I'm sure you will have heard all this but you really will regret it later on in your life.
    Isn't it illegal to leave school before you're 16? I know that I wasn't legally allowed to leave until the end of the term when I was 16. *shrugs* Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm hopefully gonna leave in June. I've spoken to my parents about it, and I will have pretty good qualifications by then, so going to university shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Yes it is illegal. Imprisonment for either you or your parents, or both. Commonly with heavy fines if no imprisonment, even tho one parent might go in prison n one get fined. Or both, all of you go prison n fined...

The govt is pretty strict on truancy. That's what it is...truancy of the purest form.

[red]EDIT: Hey Kazzy [/red]:eek: :p:naughty:;)
    Just hang in there, I didn't like school either but now i'm at college it's great!:) I wouldn't quit your education now if I were you, you'll regret it in later life, and it doesn't look very good on your c.v if under qualifications there is nothing. Stay at school, trust thesite!:)
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy

I'm hopefully gonna leave in June. I've spoken to my parents about it, and I will have pretty good qualifications by then, so going to university shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I know your Standard Grade grades were pretty amazing, but one year of Higher's isn't gonna get you into the sorta top notch uni you could be in. I'll talk you out of the decision later. :p

Emily - don't be stupid, you'll get no where in life. No money, no prospects, no qualifications. Being stereotypical for a moment, tell us when the three kids and the abusive boyfriend comes along. Don't drop out. Persevere. School is not all that bad, talk to the people who can make it better.

How do you know the people hate you?

Why are you struggling? Are you struggling cos you're lazy, or cos the work really is too hard? If the work's too hard, running away from it is stupid. Get extra help, make it easier. If you're struggling now, what says you're gonna find work any easier?
    Originally posted by Turtle

I know your Standard Grade grades were pretty amazing, but one year of Higher's isn't gonna get you into the sorta top notch uni you could be in. I'll talk you out of the decision later. :p

Dammit, get online then and I'll explain things :p
    Emily you're crackers :rolleyes:, I know people who DIDN'T drop out of school that're stuck in dead end jobs, the ones I know of that did drop out don't even have those. Take the advice of the other people on here, stick it out and at least have some qualifications to your name when you try and get into a college or onto a modern apprenticeship course. No one's saying you have to do either of those things but if you don't finish school you won't be able to whether you want to or not and there's nothing worse than not having a choice.