Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im thinking about getting broadband, can any of you tell me how much you pay, and connection fee etc. Any companies maybe got special offers on at the moment?

Thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I got mine with Freeserve for £80, plus £30 a month. The BT set-up fee was and still is waivered I think?
    For that they post you a 'frog' usb modem and a couple of filters to split the existing phone socket into the voice/adsl channels.

Try checking www.adslguide.org.uk too - I think they list the various packages.
    thank you for that, ill give that site a visit:D
    Blueyonder (cable) is something like 25 quid a month.
    they come round and do all the installation work (cables, boxes, software etc) for about 70 quid.

problem with it is that there are times it mysteriously stops working (i think they're trying to "encourage" people to upgrade to the more expensive package lol...just like BT did).

good luck with your choice...Broadband is well worth it.
    Cheers Braidsta for that :D
    we have NTL broadband, which costs £25 a month - i cant remember if they charged to have it installed tho' :)
    NTL only give broadband with your cable tv and phone line, so not a good option for existing Sky customers. You're also stuck with a single provider, whereas through the BT broadband you can switch your isp.
    yeah I cant get NTL Broadband cos im not cable, but thanx anyway:D
    I mate at work can't get BT broadband in his modern house, as BT fitted optical cable to the whole estate about 5 years back - doh!
    I assume your area is active with BT?
    Originally posted by Pugwash69
    I mate at work can't get BT broadband in his modern house, as BT fitted optical cable to the whole estate about 5 years back - doh!
    I assume your area is active with BT?

Erm Erm :confused:
    Beckyboo - you can check to see if you can get broadband on your BT line here ;)

Personally, I'm with Pipex.net and it costs me £23.44 - the setup charge was free (though I don't think this offer applies anymore) and I had to get my own modem. For the simplest option, I'd probably say BT/Freeserve would be the best bet. :)
    * lives in the back end of beyond

Having done the BT check it says that my line doesn't support broadband. So I presume that's me fucked then?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    * lives in the back end of beyond

Having done the BT check it says that my line doesn't support broadband. So I presume that's me fucked then?
    Exactly where in the back end of beyond?
    If there is no cable in your area either you may still be in an area that has wireless broadband access, or you can get satelite, the only problem with satelite is that while your download speeds are fast, your upload is only 56k, and you have a high latency, so not ideal for games, but fine for just surfing the web like most people do.
    Originally posted by satan
    Beckyboo - you can check to see if you can get broadband on your BT line here ;)

Thanx for that, I can get it:D
    I have ntl broadband - but i have sky televison????:confused:
    Originally posted by Pugwash69
    The BT set-up fee was and still is waivered I think?
    For that they post you a 'frog' usb modem and a couple of filters to split the existing phone socket into the voice/adsl channels.

Our BT broadband is £30 a month and the set-up fee was £150 I think. You can't get it in all areas yet tho.
    with blueyonder u can get broadband for about 25 a month and 50 installation

but for 35 a month u can get a 1mb line :E