Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Biting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a really embarassing post, but I need help with this thing.

Whenever I'm angry or upset, or just stressed, I've got this habit of biting my fingers. I bite like the knuckle or the bottom part, and quite often I do it until it bleeds. Usually if I'm just worried about something or upset I do it absentmindedly and just knaw on my knuckles and usually make them bleed without even realising. If I'm angry though or really stressed, i do it on purpose to sort of release tension, it works and makes me feel better.

I've been having a bit of a bad time of it recently and I've been doing it loads. My fingers are a mess especially on my right hand, theres at least 20 marks/scabs all around my knuckles and theres some scars there form times when I've done it before.

I know the simple thing is just to say stop doing it but I don't think I can, I've tried loads of times but its harder than it sounds.

Any ideas? Has anybody else done this before because I really do feel like a freak and its really why I've never told anyone before, people sometimes notice the marks but I just say it was my cat or my godson bit me, etc etc.

*feels silly*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This'll sound corny but now that you've admitted you have a problem, you're on the way to solving it. You know why you do so perhaps you can look at some other form of release of anger or frustration.

Unfortunately this isn't always easy and most of us just grin and bear it. I have a bad temper so it usually ends up with me hitting something or throwing something around, but when I can't, I distract myself from the source of anger and think of something else.

Try, in your mind's eye, to imagine a place of calm and feel yourself relaxing. Focus on your muscles and relax them one by one until you feel at ease. Simply closing your eyes and taking a few deep, slow breaths might also help.
    if its a compulsion, maybe its worth speaking to the doctor about it. maybe in the meantime, paint nailbite lotion on it, the stuff with the really bitter taste. theres something called obsessive compulsive disorder, and it could be a mild form of that. you can break the habit though. maybe chew chewing gum, so you dont have as much urge to chew your fingers.
    Blag yourself a stress ball.
    One of my close friends has a similar thing, but where she pulls out hairs from her haid all the time...

...its not like she looks any difference, but something was obviously wrong.

She went to the doctor and he sent her to some therapist, and now its getting much better :).

All on the NHS as well. Plus you can get medication for it. :)
    I try to spread my wisdom as far as I can ;)
    Originally posted by Thefairmelissa

*cuddles FireyFirenze*

I´ll crack my weirdness if you crack yours, eh hun?

Yeah. We can but try!

Aww, thank you everyone. I've been a bit less worried for the last couple of days so its not as bad, I'm trying to let the marks on my fingers now heal! I don't know about going to the doctors or anything because it doesnt seem really serious to me even though I do really want to stop.

I'm definitely going to try the breathing stuff. And stressballs was a good suggestion, but I've tried them and they don't quite work, hehe. It doesnt give me pain :p

*will try really hard*
    Its weird how people react from stress etc and how different people handle it!

Bititng nails, hair pulling, biting on skin etc