Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being single

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's a fact of life for some of us. But is it so bad?

I wonder sometimes why I don't have a girlfriend. I'm not really that ugly, i'm certainly not fat and i behave in a reasonably civil way, even when drunk (well, at least, when there isn't anybody to encourage me to be silly! :D ). I don't find it difficult to talk to girls either. I do notice that just about every girl in my college is taken already. Or maybe it just seems like that. :rolleyes:

In a way, i don't care though. What matters really is meeting someone who you're actually going to like. Why date someone who you think is repulsive, ugly, smelly, arrogant, etc. just for the sake of having a partner?

So, any other single people out there, and if so, how do you feel about it, and why do you think you are in your position?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, I am single after 2 and a half years and finding it a bit strange. It's nice to be able to do as I please, to be able to think about travelling round the world or pulling, without any attachments, but it gets lonely sometimes.

It does feel like everyone else has someone, but I believe everyones time will come.

Don't worry about being single.
    I miss the affection and closeness but i dont feel to bad, though its been two months since me and my girlfriend broke up.

It means you have more money for yourself and can do what you like without consequences ;)
    Re: Being single
    Originally posted by will haycock
    So, any other single people out there, and if so, how do you feel about it, and why do you think you are in your position?

I love being single! I dunno, I just don't think i'm suited to relationships, don't get me wrong i've been in a long term thing before & it was good but I do prefer being single. :D

I'm currently in what could be described as a 'casual' relationship at the mo & it's great. We can go out & pull other people but still have each other on a regular basis.
    Your single cos your average, not different. If your the most beautiful person ever, girls will go for you, if your extreamly ugly, girls will go for you. The amount of fit girls i see with ugly blokes, who DONT have a good personality is huge!

But the other way around, blokes go out with certain types of girls, thats why Mr average gets left behind.
    I've been single for about a year now. When my ex left me, I was heartbroken (AndyTeg's thread reminds me a lot of my own situation!!!!!:eek: ). For ages I couldn't stand to be touched by men, and the thought of dating freaked me out for ages. :(

Eventually I got back into dating, but doing things like blind dates/set up's/and men I met out in town.

I absolutely HATE dating with a passion.

I just want to meet the man of my dreams, skip the awkward bull shitting dating crap, and just be happy.

I can't stress too much how much I hate *dating*. I haven't got time to do it. I've barely got any time for myself let alone anyone else anway.

I don't like being single either...but i'd rather settle for that than date the wrong man.
    :(

I'm so fussy with men now - I rarely meet someone I actually want to spend a lot of time with.

I'm also genuinly so busy with work/family that I haven't got time for men to fuck me over.

That's another reason why i'm single - I always fucking get fucked over by men and i'm sick of it now. So if I do date, i'm a bitch. I just don't care. Sex for me is cold and i'm used to men not sticking around. Sad innit, but people are too ready to fuck you over - so two can play at that game.

:mad:
    That's just horrible MsWhite. :(

It's so unfair for you that you to suffer and feel you can't date people just because of one man leaving you.

I've never exactly liked dating either. Usually just awkward and more than 9 times out of 10 it's someone you really don't get along with in that way. I'm lucky to have recently found a fantastic partner who I love dearly. We didn't actualy date though - we just met and it sort of happened I guess. We're very happy. :D

And I'm sure that the same sort of thing will happen to you :) You don't have to go out looking for love, if it's meant to be it will usually find you on it's own. :)

And don't get to down about being single hun, it's nothing to be ashamed of and I'm sure you won't be in the same situation forever :) There's no point getting worried or upset about you're lack of mate unnecessarily, you seem like a nice person and I'm sure you really will get what you deserve. I hope some day thing's will work out for you hun.

:)
    I really have to stop giving out advice to people who don't ask for it too. :blush:

It's just that I don't like seeing good people getting hurt unnecessarily. :(
    I aint single but it doesn't really bother me when i am :)
    People are never happy are they? They always want more. I'm single and while not what you would call happy, I'm content with it. Actually, being in a relationship would be a bad thing for me right now because it's my last year at uni and I'm not going to have time for myself, let alone anyone else. Also, I plan to go travelling after I leave so who knows when I'll get to settle with someone...

The amount of people who come on these boards with their relationship problems is enough to make single folk happy anyway:)
    People are never happy are they? They always want more. I'm single and while not what you would call happy, I'm content with it. Actually, being in a relationship would be a bad thing for me right now because it's my last year at uni and I'm not going to have time for myself, let alone anyone else. Also, I plan to go travelling after I leave so who knows when I'll get to settle with someone...

The Philosopher is right. I've been single for a while and whilst it gets me down when I see my mates having a really good time in relationships I think that it's not the worst thing to happen. I'm happy enough to have a laugh with my mates and generally just take life as it comes.

One of my ex-housemates was going out with a girl who was doing a year abroad in France and used to ring her three or four times a day running up huge phone bills. He used to feel really guilty if he didn't speak to her but when they rang up they just talked about nothing. Also he used to feel incredibly guilty about even thinking about other girls and so they used to have massive rows fairly often about this because he told her and she got upset even though they both know they would be completely faithful to each other. Eventually the strees got too much and they split up a week before she was supposed to come back home.

I'd rather be single and just "go with the flow" (I hate that phrase) than go through so much grief. I'd love to meet someone who I could have a realtionship but until then you've just got to carry on and make the best of what you've got.

BTW, if there are any ladies who are on the lookout for a devastatingly handsome, witty, charming and modest man then please feel free to drop me a line (no timewasters please)
    ;) (I can cook as well but you'll have to do the ironing)
    BTW, if there are any ladies who are on the lookout for a devastatingly handsome, witty, charming and modest man then please feel free to drop me a line (no timewasters please)

:)

Cheeky bugger!
    Originally posted by Figbella

I can cook as well but you'll have to do the ironing

Well that just isn't good enough is it! Tsk. :p
    Well that just isn't good enough is it! Tsk.

Oh well, I'll just have to try harder I suppose. Some people are never satisfied.
    im single..just dumped so not too happy about it!:( but before that (and it only lasted a couple of months!) ive always been single. im used to it. what can i say most of the time its pretty good and i enjoy it but other times i really want someone to love...maybe im feeling pressured by society!! im only 18 after all - not really meant to be in a serious relationship at that age anyway are you? well thats my view. its not like i would want anything heavy anyway..just someone to hang out with a couple of times a week who i find funny and attractive.someone to get it on with..you know!;) its not that much to ask is it?:( oh well things will get better and i will enjoy being on my own again..i hope!:D
    Originally posted by MsWhite
    For ages I couldn't stand to be touched by men, and the thought of dating freaked me out for ages. :(

Been there. Still sort of there.

:(
    Re: Being single
    Originally posted by will haycock
    I wonder sometimes why I don't have a girlfriend. I'm not really that ugly, i'm certainly not fat.....

and what, may i ask, is wrong with being fat?

do fat people not get bf/gf?
    Re: Re: Being single
    Originally posted by welsh_mosher

and what, may i ask, is wrong with being fat?

do fat people not get bf/gf?

*runs and hides

:) Of course there's nothing wrong with being overweight, but I suppose it doesn't help? Or is that just me? I think a lot of it is to do with social pressures.
    [Of course there's nothing wrong with being overweight... I think a lot of it is to do with social pressures]

It depends, I think. Being genuinely overweight is unhealthy but so is desperately trying to slim.
    I am really really happy being single...Love doing anything that I want and not having to not pull...
    relationships suck why have all that emotional crap hen u can be happy with yourself 24/7 If u get lonely see a mate, if you want sex, see a mate and if you want company of the oposite sex, see a mate...You have the rest of your lives to be with someone and spend all your time with someone.....And I belive you should only be with someone if you will be with them forever...Love to meet means 100% loyalty, no regrets, trust, friendship, companionship and just being on that same wave lenght, you can be confortable in each others company but still comfortable being apart. you can talk for hours or just say nothing at all and feel comfortable with the silence....And they accept you 100% for the way you look and the person you are....I find the only way you will find this is if you are friends first that is the reason I dont date random guys...
    I have a fantastic full life and wouldnt ever just get with someone because i was scared of being alone Because the truth is Im not alone and I am not scared to be alone.
    I think until you are 100% comfortable with yourself, most people sont realise this
    Both hyave their benefits- but in a relationship with lots of psce is the best! PLus you get your fix more often than if your single......