Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

yet another hotmail virus?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
MNS messenger isn't famous for being the most reliable service on the net, but it seems that there is yet another virus doing the rounds. :rolleyes:

It takes the form of telling you that the person you are talking to is inviting you to start a netmeeting or something along those lines. So be warned, don't accept OR decline this, cos you'll download a virus!

I have no idea what this virus does to your computer, does anyone else?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there anything visually wrong with the 'invite into net meeting' ? If not i can see lots of people being infected....anybody else know anything about this?
    Originally posted by Nash
    Is there anything visually wrong with the 'invite into net meeting' ? If not i can see lots of people being infected....anybody else know anything about this?

I don't think there will be anything visually wrong with this, after all, MSN Messenger uses its own fonts etc. for invitations, so it wouldn't have the same obvious problem that the George Bush, and Pic1234 viruses etc. had.

I had a look around the aforementioned viruses, and all the other ones that were working their way around MSN with a hex editor to find out what kind of viruses they actually were (a simple worm that did pretty much fuck all seemed a little pointless - it turned out to be a trojan as well). While looking about in the code, I also found out that in one of the later ones, the virus was downloaded and opened on your computer without your knowledge, even if you declined the file invitation.

I'm guessing this is probably a trojan as well.
    What about these spanish emails I get all the time with the strange file extensions as attachments, and my computer (ONLY my computer) seems to freeze for a short period when I load my hotmail inbox via IE6?

What the fudge is going on?!
    Originally posted by Davyboy2000
    What about these spanish emails I get all the time with the strange file extensions as attachments, and my computer (ONLY my computer) seems to freeze for a short period when I load my hotmail inbox via IE6?

What the fudge is going on?!

What the hell are you doing opening attatchments in spannish written emails from people you don't know anyway?
    I wasn't. The first one I ever got I didn't d/l the attachment, I just looked at the attachment name then deleted it cus I thought it wasn't safe. Don't bother bout security and all that cus I think I understand net security kplzthx