Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Becoming Kind Of Vegetarian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am considering about becoming vegetarian. Well not totally, just cutting down on the amount of meat i consume. What sort of food should i eat to make up for it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm turing slightly too. I eat alot more fruits and veg now than before.

You'd miss the iron in meat and the some other stuff i can't remember. Take beans...like lentils or red beans and more beans...and somestuff like that. Oh and Brazil nuts prevents heart conditions and heals skin problems...
    Leafy green veg has lots of iron, like spinnach and cabbage. But as long as you eat a balanced diet you'll be fine. You said mostly veg, so you'll be eating some meat i assume, so you'll be fine. Something vegetarians typically dont get enough of is iodine salts, mainly found in salt and fish, so i have the odd tin of tuna now and again.
    Thankyou guys! :) Ooooh i lurve spinnach! Tasty :p
    The only meat my girlfriend eats is chicken, and she is perfectly healthy. She eats things like jacket potatoes vegatables etc and if she has meat with her meal its chicken and it's hardly fatty at all :)

Also if you are worried you can take vitamin tablets as well as a stable diet to make sure you get the right intake :)
    I would go the whole way, but i live with my parents so it would be pretty difficult. Anyway its only another two years :)
    Re: Becoming Kind Of Vegetarian
    Originally posted by Fairy
    I am considering about becoming vegetarian. Well not totally, just cutting down on the amount of meat i consume. What sort of food should i eat to make up for it?

Yea i dont eat of meat myself..so i would suggest eating alot of beans.. especially kidney beans, lentils,spinich,green veg. they have alot of Iron.
    Bein veggie is the most healthy option! You are 50% les likely to get cancer or heart problems and you are a lot less likely to be obese as you are no longer recieving all the fat from the meat. Plus you are saving animals at the same time :) They are plenty of yummy foods - fruit,veg,pasta,tofu,eggs,rice,beans,pluses etc. And if u still miss meat u can get 'fake' meat - try quorn.
    I shud know - Im a national vegetarian society representative !
    Tonight i was eating some burgers and thought to myself fuck i cant give up meat. I really like it. Maybe ill just eat it in smaller quantities like i did tonight. I ate sooooo much spinach tonight cos i was feeling unhealthy :) I think i dont eat enough vitamins, my mates are always trying to feed me them. I think the first step i need to take is cut down on the amount of junk food i eat.
    Originally posted by Thefairmelissa
    causes havoc when people try to take you to a restaurant or cook for you.

No it doesn't! I don't eat red meat and don't have any problems at all - all restaurants tend to have chicken on the menu anyway!