Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you believe in God?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't believe in any kind of God. I think its highly possible that our man Jesus walked the earth... but was a hippy - not the son of God.

On the whole, I find religion these days is a bit of a con.
    I believe in fate and luck, which can be quite confusing as the two conflict with one another. If I were to have any strong religious beliefs, I would follow either Wicca or Buddism, or both.

I tolerate most religions, but I believe that religious zeal is an entirely bad thing, no matter what religion it is for. People should be free to choose their own path and not be forced down one because of the threat of being killed, or because of their parents or thier school or any other reason.

:crazyeyes
    I dont believe in God, but i do find the concept of various religions interesting. In particular i quite like the Buddest religion. So if i ever get a religion i would become a Buddest. Even though i dont believe in God i have a habit of saying 'Oh God please help me...' Very random and strange i know. I dont even know why i say it! :rolleyes: :crazyeyes
    :chin:
    Originally posted by J

Thing is, if you believe in fate, then what do you suppose controls it?

Ahh, no, you misunderstand, Fate is an entity and controls everything. Nothing controls fate.
    I don't have a religion, I can't stand people talking about god, I believe in the truth about evolution which has already been proved by science. And religion is what causes wars, get rid of it and you get rid of 95% of the wars around the world.
    I don't believe in God.

I did the whole going to church thing quite willingly when I was about 13 because I wanted something devine to believe in, but I outgrew that phase pretty fast.

I don't think it is possible for their to be a higher entity. I believe in Jesus - a guy who did some pretty cool stuff, perhaps unexplainable even today, but he could have been the David Copperfield of his day for all we know. However, just because I believe there was once a very nice man called Jesus doesn't mean I am going to worship him. I don't think anyone should worship another thing, it just seems weird to me.

I think the whole idea of a religion came about because man needs something to believe in, they need something to explain their existence no matter how irrational it may be.

I have no problem with religion in the right form, as long as people accept that I don't have a religion (grrr to the woman in the A&E dept. at Durhahm Hospital for the looks she gave me when I said I didn't have a religion!). I don't mock people who believe in God, I hope it brings them some happiness in their lifetime. But when bad things happen, where is your God then?

I also did GCSE RE (Miss A* if you please) so I am quite open minded and willing to accept all faiths (before anyone starts on me!).
    Ah-ha! A subject that I have a very strong opinion on!
    Right *Cracks knuckles * Firstly, there is no God, God and all superpowerful beings were made up so people, hundreds of years ago could understand the world and what happens, but now, as we understand more, less people are believing.

It is impossible for people to even attempt to prove religion doesn't exist, as the usual answer is 'God works in mysterious ways' And how the hell did God make people out of clay and breath up their nostrils to make them live!?! It's insane! And if Adam and Eve were the first humans, and they were one colour, then where did the other races come from!?! I need proof to believe in something that I would have to dedicate my life to, and if I did believe in God, I would do nothing wrong to make sure I got there. And apparently, God loves everyone in the world, but Gay people are going straight to Hell.

And what would Jesus say if he saw what christianity has become now? Religion is the main cause of wars, so get rid of religion and we should all get along better. And I don't believe making children go to church when they're young is right, making them believe in something that they don't understand is wrong.
    Originally posted by Silverberg

And how the hell did God make people out of clay and breath up their nostrils to make them live!?! It's insane! And if Adam and Eve were the first humans, and they were one colour, then where did the other races come from!?! I need proof .....apparently, God loves everyone in the world, but Gay people are going straight to Hell.

Religion is the main cause of wars, so get rid of religion and we should all get along better. .

Exactly what I metioned earlier, interpretation, the Bible is not meant to be taken literally, its a collection of writtings, dreams, visions and events. People like you dont understand the Bible so instead you discard it as rubbish.

Do you really believe that religion causes the wars?? Land rights have as much to do with wars as religion, take religion away and people will still go to war because of greed.
    I entirely agree with you cheekychick. The bible is indeed not to be taken literally - but should certainly be taken seriously.

Many Christians aren't stupid enough to believe everything in the Bible as fact, but choose to take it as a book of guidance and advise composed of stories designed to help us become better people.

And for some reason today I'm in an incredibly opinionated mood but too tired to be able to express my opinion properly! Grrrr :)
    Give me some proof of religion and I'll instantly become a devout christian.
    There is no proof, it's just something you believe if you feel it in your heart.

Nobody here is trying to prove that God exists, but whatever you believe,you should certainly realise that there is a possibility. :)
    Originally posted by Shukes
    There is no proof, it's just something you believe if you feel it in your heart.
    Ah! You see!?! That's an avoid the question answer, heard so many of them before, I was waiting for that...
    No, it's answering the question - there is no proof.

I'm not trying to get you to believe in God, and I'm not saying that the feeling in my heart or anybody elses heart is proof - it's clearly not.

It's just what I believe in. I except you don't believe it, I don't have a problem with you not believing it, and somebodys religious views doesn't change my opinion of them one iota.
    I just don't know how anyone can believe in something so much that there is no proof of, and it would be nice to think we're going to a pretty place in the sky when we die, but we die and we rot, people just don't want to except that.
    To some extent, I agree. But it's just a thing people believe... you can't really ask for an explanation for it, it's just a "thing" that many people believe.

Whether it's true or not, I believe in most cases it's a good "thing" and that some people can become a better person through the confidence religion gives them.

Of course, religion and affect some people negatively, and organised religion can certainly cause many problems.

But as I say, I don't really agree with "organised" religion and don't go to Church. I just believe in God, and well, that's it. I don't know why and don't particuarly want to think about the reasons behind my beliefs. They're just, well, my beliefs.

:)
    How do people know if they've got the right religion? There are thousands, and there may only be one religion that leads to an afterlife, I really don't like those odds
    do i believe in god?
    yes
    but only because i believe in EVERY god and satan because i believe they all exsist and all should be respected
    originally posted by Silverberg
    I just dont kow how anyone can belive in something so much that there is no proof of

Well I could be as negative about the THEORY of evolution, there's no actual evidence that we became in this way yet it has been taken as fact, it is not.

The Bible to me has more credability than evolution alone being the start of human life. If you were to open your mind a bit more and at least accept God as a possiblility you might go some way to understanding religion, until then there is no point continuing this as it is impossible to pull the rabbit you require, from the hat .
    Originally posted by cheekychick

Well I could be as negative about the THEORY of evolution, there's no actual evidence that we became in this way yet it has been taken as fact, it is not.

[B/B]

Of course there's evidence! we share most of our genes with chimps! I'd say that was evidence!

Of course there's evidence! we share most of our genes with chimps! I'd say that was evidence!

Evidence? Of what? That we have the same creator maybe? Or that some of us amazingly developed into modern day man leaving our less fortunate relations to climb trees?
    Both options sound a bit far fetched wouldnt you agree?

edited because I cant spell and need a smoke :nervous:
    The reason we evolved into more intelligent animals is because we have very weak arms compared to chimps and gorillas. That forced us to live on the ground and develop by using tools. And why are chimps 'less fortunate'? I'm sure they quite enjoy their life.
    The reason we evolved into more intelligent animals is because we have very weak arms compared to chimps and gorillas. That forced us to live on the ground and develop by using tools. And why are chimps 'less fortunate'? I'm sure they quite enjoy their life.
    why are you all being so serious?
    and chimpies are well cool!
    they work battered...fried....stewed
    :D
    Re: Bluuuuury
    Originally posted by J
    Shit, bergerac, shit fuck wabbly

you alright there J?! You sound like you belong in thesite pub :D

And in answer to this thread, i don't think i believe in God, per se, but i do believe that there is some greater force out there. Whether it goes by the name of fate however, i haven't worked out.
    It's like that thing they say:

Have you ever seen a billion pounds or something?

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Originally posted by Daisychainthing
    It's like that thing they say:

Have you ever seen a billion pounds or something?

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

One or two problems with that. First the mere fact that something exists does not mean that you must believe in it. I for example am aware of such a thing as one billion pounds existing, but there is no benefit to me beliveing in it, as I shall never have it for myself.

The second is that "a billion pounds" is simply a large multiple of one pound, and I can get one pound and put it in my hand and say "if there were a billion of these it would be a billion pounds" and thereby know that such a thing is a possibility. However I cannot get a piece of a god and put it in my hand and say "if I had the rest of this god, I would have a god".

So basically, moo.
    I'm Roman Catholic, and although I don't religously go to church every sunday - I do believe in God.

I think i'm v.spiritual and believe in the afterlife etc too, but that's a different matter altogether I suppose.
    I do not have a personal belief in God, but I do not rule out the possibility that there is one.

But with such crap in the world, how can we put our faith in something that is meant to be good and protecting?

I'd like to believe in a religion, but, maybe reality has made me too jaded.
    I just felt like saying that though. :p

I don't even believe in God. :p So, um, yeah.

And you kind of totally lost the point I was trying to make but never mind cos it's too early for this blahness.
    Originally posted by Daisychainthing

And you kind of totally lost the point I was trying to make but never mind cos it's too early for this blahness.

I was just being picky, I understand your point.