Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you believe in God?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know anymore.

I used to, not too long ago, but after seeing all the shit that happens all over the world I find it harder and harder to believe that some of these things happen for a higher purpose.

It depends on the day, really.

And there's always this feeling that when I do believe, its just because I want to believe in it. Like I'm tricking myself into it.
    I believe in God fully and would consider myself a Christian, although I don't really go to Church or anything - although I pray ocassionaly.

In fact I haven't even been baptised, but I hopefully will be in a couple of weeks, along with my girlfriend?!?!? :confused:
    I'm not religious, neither are either of my parents & neither were their parents.

I do find it interesting learning about other peoples religions & their views on their religion though. The module i'm doing at the moment in Sociology is on religion & it's really interesting even though i'm not religious in anyway myself.
    I'm an agnostic, but most of my family are Christian.
    I'd like to point out neither my parents, or really anyone at all I know are religious - I kinda just got into it by myself, to try and get a better understanding of what I want to believe, and hopefully to be happier with myself because of it.

God hasn't exactly changed my life, and isn't really a thing I think about often - but I just know in my heart he's there, and loves me, and will help me to become the person I want to be. :)
    I don't believe in God, I need proof.
    Organised religion is certainly a con made up by humans to control other humans..Whether god is real or not is less clear.

Im agnostic but i lean towards god not existing.
    I also have a dislike for organised religion, which is why I don't go to Church and the like. Getting baptised will probably be the first and last time I enter a Church for any sort of ceremony.

And although I call myself a Christian, I suppose in many ways I don't believe all that is taught by my religion - ie I don't believe you need to believe in Jesus/God to go to Heaven, but just to be a good person.

Maybe that's because I have a lot of good, kind friends who don't believe in God, and I don't think that people as nice as them could be denied their place in heaven with God.

Either way, I love God and he loves me, and I don't really want to think about it any more - knowing me I'll get too confused! :D
    I found out the word for what i am the other day. I spose i'm a deist. I believe that there is a god or maybe even gods, but i dont believe in any revealed religion. there you go:D
    I don't believe in there being anything 'up there' which controls us and made us and such. I believe in the powers of nature and the powers of various gods within nature. I guess Im kind of a pagan buddah thing... :eek2: hmmm Not too keen on organised religion though, or the idea that we can be controlled by some heigher being... it just doesn't make sense to me. Im happy being the nature loving person I am hehe
    I believe there is A God. I don't believe in any of the God's that organised religions throw into the pot, or any of their beliefs.
    My own beliefs are simple. There is A God, if you are good and stay out of trouble in life you goto heaven. If you are an arsehole you goto hell.

I also think that there isn't a satan. god's opposite isn't the devil, but is humanity.
    All the suffering in this world is caused by humans. Therefore, humanity must be the great evil.
    Or maybe not, I'm not sure. It's just something to think about.
    Originally posted by J

If there is a God or higher intelligence then I think it is safe to say that there is an opposite to the force, which if you think about it could be responsible for "shit happening"

An opposite to high intelligence? I think I know this person...
    Originally posted by Pugwash69
    I don't believe in God, I need proof.

You need PROOF, look around you! People, food, water etc etc, what more proof could anyone need?
    i dont believe in god. i know ...KNOW there is an inteligent creator. i hate religion.
    Originally posted by madinthenut

You need PROOF, look around you! People, food, water etc etc, what more proof could anyone need?

Science has already explained the origins of life on Earth. If you choose to ignore it then fine, I'm not going to argue with you.
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Science has already explained the origins of life on Earth. If you choose to ignore it then fine, I'm not going to argue with you.

I don't want to agrue. But everyone has diffrent opinions.

:)
    Faithless

No. I don't believe in a God, or Gods, or any higher being/inteligence. It just doesn't add up, or make sense.
    There is nothing else. We live, we die, and I can accept that. For those who have trouble accepting that, there's religion (in all its forms).
    I've come to see religion as nothing more than an aincient way of explaining the unexplainable, based on old views of the World. A World that has changed imensely over the past few thousand years.
    Religion has been hijacked by power mongers for millenea, and even to this day it still is. It's used as a method of control by instilling fear in to people.
    Even if you're a non-believer, you still live in a society that bases its rules, laws, values, and morals, on a particular religion (in our case - Christianity). Therefore you can't help but be influenced by religion. Think about it, where do you get your values and morals from?

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Science has already explained the origins of life on Earth.
    science has done no such thing. it makes numerous attempts , often. and keeps changing it's position as it aquires more knowledge. the more knowledge it aquires the more we realise how little we know.

This is evidence and not conclusive either way. I mean PROOF! Hard fact like Alanis Morissette appearing Dogma style and saying "Hello I'm God".

This is evidence and not conclusive either way. I mean PROOF! Hard fact like Alanis Morissette appearing Dogma style and saying "Hello I'm God".

:lol:

:lol:

Not doggy style!

Not doggy style!

Yeah I know.
    You say that but I bet you were thinking about it :crazyeyes
    You say that but I bet you were thinking about it :crazyeyes

I'm a male, what you expect.... :D

and I bet you were too! :D

More of that 'Design Argument' crap, huh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've read some philosophy books and stating 'yes, well the world is so well designed, that God must exist!!!' is complete crap. :)

Why religious people need to resort to such 'claims' to back up their faiths, I don't know. :) :cool:
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    i hate religion oneatodds. i have already said in polotics that you and steelgate are one and the same person. opposing extreme political views...same sick mind. strange how steelgate drifted into anything goes only the other day...gets banned...and now you stray in here. watch this space folks.

More of that 'Design Argument' crap, huh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've read some philosophy books and stating 'yes, well the world is so well designed, that God must exist!!!' is complete crap. :)

Why religious people need to resort to such 'claims' to back up their faiths, I don't know. :) :cool:
    Why should I give a damn if you hate religion? :)
    i don't believe in any one religion.

i tend to just believe bits from different ones.

like, i think it makes more sense for there to be more than one god, rather than this all mighty being who did it all :confused:
    Originally posted by welsh_mosher
    i don't believe in any one religion.

i tend to just believe bits from different ones.
    This is what all religions do.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I believe that there is a God, but dont follow a particular religion, the Bible is true, mans interpretation of it is whats wrong.

As regards evolution being a possibility, maybe, but science relies entirely on theory... perhaps it was God that got the ball rolling and not just a freak unexplained big bang?

I guess we will all find out if we were right when we die eh?