Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scotland: The nanny state?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone noticed the recent spate of Scottish Executive TV adverts telling people to recycle, to "leave the car at home" and (most patronisingly of all) to eat proper meals with the family? Is this a good way to raise awareness of these issues or is it just a waste of taxpayer's money?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't seen them, seeing as I live in southern England but I have to ask you would it be better if they did nothing?

Pollution and poor diet are two huge factors in today's world. If you consider recent reports, the "proper meals" advert is really relevant to Scotland at the moment...
  • Options
    I fail to see what role it is of the state to tell people what they can and cannot eat. People should just eat whatever the shit they want. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons
    I fail to see what role it is of the state to tell people what they can and cannot eat. People should just eat whatever the shit they want. :)

They haven't, they have suggested that it would be better for people to eat proper meals. Its called prevention and education.

Better this than lost working hours (huge economic cost) due to sickness cause by unhealthy eating...

Look at the bigger picture.
  • Options
    So it's the government's fault that some idiot lacks self-control and cannot make adequate choices for themselves?

Shit, yes the state must especially help those who are emotionally fucked!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Look at the bigger picture.

No pun intended one hopes... :D
  • Options
    scotland has one of the highest rates of heart disease so I think its great that they are trying to raise awareness of healthy eating. I dont think its a case of lacking self control, but more about bad eating habits learnt from their parents. Theyre not saying they HAVE to eat good meals with the family, but that it is best.
  • Options
    So it's the government's fault that some idiot lacks self-control and cannot make adequate choices for themselves?

Shit, yes the state must especially help those who are emotionally fucked!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jeez, could your view get any narrower?

The State has a role to play in laying out and educating people on the consequences of the choices they make - because the state picks up the tab eventually.

It isn't their fault if people make bad choices, but it doesn't mean that they should do what they can to help these people. Unfit people means higher taxes...
  • Options
    Role, schomle. :):D

Shit, if some fuckwit is stupid enough to eat fatty food all his life then so be it. He is free and no one forced him to eat such stuff.

The topic of this thread reminds me of that case in the US concerning some wankshit suing McDonalds because too many BigMacs made him fat. :) :rolleyes:

Shit man, you retard bastard. Exercise some self-control, dimwit. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Role, schomle. :):D

Shit, if some fuckwit is stupid enough to eat fatty food all his life then so be it. He is free and no one forced him to eat such stuff.

The topic of this thread reminds me of that case in the US concerning some wankshit suing McDonalds because too many BigMacs made him fat. :) :rolleyes:

Shit man, you retard bastard. Exercise some self-control, dimwit. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Erk, exercise some self-control on the whole swearing thing!
  • Options
    No thanks, I like to express myself. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    The State has a role to play in laying out and educating people on the consequences of the choices they make - because the state picks up the tab eventually.

It isn't their fault if people make bad choices, but it doesn't mean that they should do what they can to help these people. Unfit people means higher taxes...

The State plays too many roles, most of which lack common sense..
    Unless of course, the UK lacks any existing literature on this subject...
    It is 2002, so I'd say its about time to get the word out about how one's diet effects one's health..

It isn't people's fault they make bad choices?
    choice Pronunciation Key (chois)
    n.

1. The act of choosing; selection.
    2. The power, right, or liberty to choose; option.
    3. One that is chosen.
    4. A number or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of styles and colors.
    5. The best or most preferable part.
    6. Care in choosing.
    7. An alternative.

Afraid the word "choice" does not apply...

Perhaps, it is their fault because they ignore all the available information and do as they please...

After all, you seem to know what they do is a bad choice for one's health.....

However, the State is responsible for everything and we individuals need not to think, except to remember our role to blame the State.
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse
    It isn't people's fault they make bad choices?

Having re-read what I put I can see how you misunderstood what I meant. It isn't the state's fault that people make bad choices...
    Afraid the word "choice" does not apply...

And then you confuse me, how is it not a choice?
    Perhaps, it is their fault because they ignore all the available information and do as they please...

Perhaps this is something the state is looking to rectify. How many of these bad eaters are also couch potatoes? So what would be the best way to get your message across to them?
    After all, you seem to know what they do is a bad choice for one's health.....

Perhaps that's because I work in a hospital, so have access to plenty of health advice, and exposure to information.
    However, the State is responsible for everything and we individuals need not to think, except to remember our role to blame the State.

Comeing from the land of the "compensation culture" I find this laughable. Look at the Stella Awards...
  • Options
    While I agree in part that the state is responsible for the health of the nation, does it really need to resort to insulting our intelligence to do this?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    While I agree in part that the state is responsible for the health of the nation, does it really need to resort to insulting our intelligence to do this?

It may be an insult to your intelligence, but it has to be targetted at the lowest point.