Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are US citizens allowed to visit Cuba?

I couldn't find any info on the net to either confirm or deny it, but I've heard many times before that Americans could face penalties and/or jail if they visit Cuba.

Supposing this is true, how does that make you feel? Don't you think it's a disgrace that a so-called democratic country bans its citizens from visiting a certain nation because of an absurd fear and hatred of communism?

I guess that any product of Cuban origin is illegal as hell in the States as well, judging by the hundreds of Cuban cigar stores in Vancouver that are visited by thousands of Americans every day. I also know the US has a policy of boycotting foreign companies that dare conduct business in Cuba.

I personally think it is a disgusting (and extremely stupid) thing to do, especially when the U.S. is more than happy to be in friendly terms with much more sinister regimes (Franco in Spain, Pinochet in Chile), but I would like to hear other people's opinions, specially Americans.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope we arent allowed to still as far as I know. Shame really, ive had numerous European friends vacation their and theyve told me its a great vacation spot.
  • Options
    So why is that I wonder? Is the US government scared anyone holidaying in there will be brainwashed and come back to the US to spread communism? :rolleyes:

Pathetic really.
  • Options
    who knows. Much of it probably has to do with pandering to the Cuban lobby which has substantial influence over US policy toward cuba.

Plenty of other nations to experience so Im not too fussed about missing out on Cuba. One of these days though i might find a way to get there, who knows.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So why is that I wonder? Is the US government scared anyone holidaying in there will be brainwashed and come back to the US to spread communism? :rolleyes:

Pathetic really.

You wonder, LOL you're missing the handwriting on the wall as usual...

The reason is the obvious and the usual, money! Its all about money.

Take a look at what US Tourists spend abroad, to be sure that's a nice chunk of change.
    Cuba is close to the US, so transportation costs would be low. A dollar would buy a lot in Cuba so Cuba would attract a lot of US tourists..

Exposure to communism? You are quite naive.. The cuban government would create an area, a "tourist world" designed insulate the tourists from the general population and give them great places to spend money..

You don't believe that Cuba would fix up, add sanitation, electricity and all the other standards tourists would expect to the whole country... Or do you?? :rolleyes:

By denying tourism, the Gov denies Cuba access to the tourist dollar.

You ought to get sheared, as you do have a lot of wool over the eyes...

Maybe if you keep rubbing the majik lamp you might get a glimmer...

ROTFLMAO!
  • Options
    Money which the US Cubans wouldnt want to see going to the regime that overthrew their plush life under Batista. lol.
  • Options
    I know that Americans can visit Cuba through indirect flights, ie. stopping in Mexoc on the way. I've never heard of any American ever being arrested because of this either. I've read several magazines where they sent reporters there to vacation and write about their experiences. I doubt they would do that if they were worried about their reporters getting arrested.

And reverse, you are not correct, Americans are permitted to send money (even dollars) to Cuba to relatives and the sort. I can't remember what the limit is, but its limited to a few hundred dollars or so.

But Aladdin, I don't see anything wrong with this. The US government is under no obligation to give the Cuban government anything. They aren't even obligated to let Cuban-Americans send money to Cuba, although they do. Despite his age, Castro is not a nice guy. We have no obligation to help out a leader that we don't like or that we don't support.

Clandestine, yeah, its true that many of the Cuban exiles that escaped were wealthy and privleged. Does this mean that they deserved to get executed by Castro because they were born into it, or more recently have their Cessnas shot down by MiG's?

Castro is no better than Batista. Or if he is, it's so marginal as to be inconsequential.

Saddam Hussein, or Kim he's not, but Castro has a lot of blood on his hands. He's also attemptted to export revolution all over South and Central America and even Africa (Angola). If he didn't do this, than maybe the embargo wouldn't still be up.

The US does not like to have him 90 miles off of Miami. Unfortunately for him geography has conspired against him. But the fact remains, trade with the US is a privilege not a right. Before I would agree to lift the embargo I would have to see strong moves toward democracy, or at least some overture on his part toward the US, which hasn't happened.