Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Microsoft Buys Rare - XBox News

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not a gamer, but I am a Microsoft person, so I thought I'd write this up and post it for anyone who has/likes XBox.

Microsoft have decided to invest in XBox's future by buying a 49% stake in Nintendo's gaming company 'Rare' for $375 million so now the company will soley produce games for Xbox. This is the second major gaming type company Microsoft has bought following the purchase of Bungie (the guys who make Halo and Myth) a few years back.

For anyone who's looking blank now thinking "Who the hell are Rare?" they are the company who produced such titles as:

* Donkey Kong 64
* GoldenEye 007

Their first release on Xbox is set to be a fantasy game called 'Kameo' and will hopefully be released later this year, you can read more information on: http://www.rare.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Some people have considered this a coup for Microsoft, but I think Nintendo have played this right. They got a fair bit of cash for a company who have been very quiet of late. Starfox Adventures is supposed to be really good and the Gamecube's got that. Also, Nintendo retain the rights to some of the characters, including Donkey Kong.

Mind you, I'm a big Nintendo fan (not as much as I am a Sega fan though) and want to see them and their console do well. :D
  • Options
    MS also bought the makers of Abe's Oddssey and such gems, which is why the PS2 game release of Munchee's Exodus (I think), a sequel, suddenly got shelved in favour of an XBox release.
    It does smack a little of trying to win by cheating.

On a more promising note I read that nVidia (makers of the xbox graphics chip) were disputing payments with MS for loss of profits over a load of chips they made. NVidia have been ordered to continue production for MS at reasonable costs but it sounds like trouble to me.
  • Options
    Sht shit shit! Does this mean that Perfect Dark 2 will only come out on X Box? They're already developing it so if they do the same as they're doing with Starfox Adventures and release it only on the GC as it should be, then I don't mind.

It'll just be wrong beyond belief if X Box get it. With Halo 2 on the way looking great even though I don't like the box I admit it, to get the one game that's tagged to be better than Halo would put a big dent in the other consoles.

And I love Goldeneye and P Dark 1 so to take the sequel away from me would be sick. :(
  • Options
    Financially it was a good move but i dont think it was a particularly good idea where the public are concerned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    Sht shit shit! Does this mean that Perfect Dark 2 will only come out on X Box?

Looks that way...

'IGN has confirmation that Microsoft will now own all of the intellectual properties previously owned by Rare including Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Killer Instinct, Blast Corps and Sabre Wulf.'

The rest stay with Nintendo, like Donkey Kong. Shame though I would've liked to see new Perfect Dark & Blast Corps games on the Cube.
  • Options
    X02 ran an article about previews of some of the new titles to appear on XBox:

http://www.ferrago.co.uk/story/576

:)