Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UnitedLinux - Beta Release :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I reported about this a while ago when the company was created and thought you might want to know about the latest upcomings as I have been following with interest (even if I am a Microsoft type person.. heh) UnitedLinux is almost set to release its first open beta distribution to the public on the 23th September.

For anyone who doesn't know, United Linux was formed by the SCO Group (Quote, Company Info, News), formerly known as Caldera, as well as Turbolinux, Conectiva and SuSE Linux, UnitedLinux aims to unify their various distributions behind a single core distribution built out from the SuSE Linux Enterprise Server product... think of it as a way to try and standardise certain Linux elements with basically different GUIs around the same kernal.

The main components of the forthcoming UnitedLinux distribution include: Kernel 2.4.18 or higher, glibc 2.2.5, gcc 3.1, XFree86 4.2, and KDE 3.0. Additionally, it said the distribution will be compliant with the LSB, LiN18ux, and GB18030 standards.

So if there are any Linux people out here wanting to sample the up and coming which is considered by many the second biggest competitor to Microsoft's world (yes they have aledgedly a larger market now than Apple) you can get it on Sept. 23 with the release of the open beta version of its distribution. :)

Well I'm on the WindowsBeta list with Windows.NET Server, might as well sample this too :p

http://www.unitedlinux.com

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried Linux? I bought SuSE Linux 8.0 a few weeks ago and put a dual-boot installation on my PC. I'm quite impressed with all the applications you get and it's not too hard to understand. I might even go the whole hog and ditch Windoze 98 when I can find a replacement Word that I'm happy with. I'm looking at Open Office and AbiWord at the mo.
    Mandrake, and Lindows.

I like Linux, and dual boot with Windoze ME, and Linux Mandrake 8.0. I would use it a lot more if it supported my modem (ie Winmodems), and had better support for mice (I've got a dual scroll wheel mouse that I love). Version 9.0 is almost ready for release, and I'll have to see if I can get a copy when it comes out. The only thing I would really miss with Windows is a great word processor, but that's why I dual boot.
    Another distribution that's worth a look is Lindows, which is a Linux based OS that's been built with maximum compatibility with Windows based software. It's supposed to run MS Office, and many other applications.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Demolinux

Actually, if you really want to try Linux out, but don't want to risk cocking up an installation, or risk upsetting your computer with Windoze installed, then you should try Demolinux.
    It's an ISO image file you can download and burn to a disk, then set your BIOS/CMOS settings to boot from the CD-ROM, and pop the disk in to your drive. Demolinux boots in to your computer and sets itself up (with the occasional bit of guidence from yourself) in about 5-10 minutes (depending upon your system). It will run many Linux applications and allow you to change some settings, allowing you to get a good feel for how Linux is to use.
    You can download the 650 MB file at Demolinux

Mr_Wobble ;)
    I've got RedHat 7.3 downloading at home for 3 CD's to play with. I've found instructions for dual-booting with Win XP so I might give it a play. It's important to know how to restore the MBR though else you're buggered if you uninstall Linux.

I noticed on that fuckMicrosoft site they kinda don't like Caldera/SCO because they made empty threats about legal action for linking to them or something.
    Sounds good, but aparantly some people are worried it might invalidate the GPL, Something we'll have to wait and see about, although I can't see this being anything bad.
    You'll have to wait and see!!! ;)
    Heh, I read about the MBR after I started to fiddle around with Linux. Luckily I have another PC with net access so it doesn't really matter. As far as I can see, deleting the partitions with fdisk then formatting is the same as rewriting the MBR. It's hassle if you have stuff you want to keep on the other partitions though.
    I just boot the recover console from the XP CD and run FIXMBR :)

I've been burnt enough times on that little detail.FIXMBR documentation