Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GUM clinic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got an appointment at my local GUM clinic tomorrow cos i've got a rash 'down there' and am a bit worried it might be an STI.

I've read the site's article about going, but i was wondering if anyone else has any adive as i'm really nervous.

also, on the phone they said i had to get there a bit early as there were forms i had to fill in.
What will they be??

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated :confused::)

(edited cos i can't type!)

Comments

• Options
    the forms will just be general information ones, name, age, address, things like that, just like you would if you registered with a doctor... Don't worry, the test doesn't hurt provided you relax (and i know it's difficult when you're naked from the waist down and your knees apart on an examining table!) The doctor will talk to you for a bit, ask why you're there, general health questions, take some samples and possibly blood, then you'll have to waita while for the results (usually about two weeks if they send them off). Really don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds, the doctor will have seen it all before and they are trained in this area. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Hope it went well and that things arent as serious as ur mind thought it was.

For others going to the STD clinic..or GUM (genital urinary medicine) as its known isnt as scary as you think it will be. Staff are always friendly, they do not judge you (theyve seen people with worse things!). They may ask you questions that you may find uncomfortable,Ie your past or present sex life, but its to enable them to treat you correctly.Their job is to test you, (and for females it isnt painful) they give you advice and treatment if required. However, the best way is to have sex with a condom. It saves worry, stress and the embarrassment you feel when visiting such a clinic.

If you need condoms...visit your local family planning clinic. They're usually free. Mainly because it saves the NHS a fortune testing for STD's!!!!
  • Options
    AND any drugs you get from the clinic are free. Hurrah for the victorians.
  • Options
    There is no need to feel scared as im sure they have seen worse :)

The forms will help any treatment they decide to give you and dont worry im sure you will be fine :)

I have never been so sorry i could not help anymore but they will keep all info confidential :)
  • Options
    What happens for blokes? My b/f's going soon (long story, but its basically cos of a stupid mistake in the past) and I'd like to be able to reassure him! Maybe its a stupid question but hey..isn't that what we're all here for?! :D
  • Options
    I have to say that the GUM clinic in my city is horrible. I'd never go back there, i'd rather the embarassment of seeing my own GP personally. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by curly_girl
    What happens for blokes?

A trip to the clinic
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie

A trip to the clinic

That is just soooooo Janet and John. Janet and John go to the fair. Janet and John go to the seaside. Janet and John get the clap :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by RubberSkin
    Janet and John get the clap :D

Man, you had some wierd books at school...
  • Options
    Yup, but i was a bit of a slow learner so never got on to Janet and John meet the Swingers or Janet and John try autoeroticasphyxsiation:)
  • Options
    The GUM clinic here is good.Fair play to them.

I went to get checked becuase i kept getting lower stomach cramps and the GP didnt seem wonderfully worried about it.

Turned out the GP was right.I had no infection at all but i was glad id been and got checked becuase Im confident Im ok now.

They made me fill out a form with my details on and I was given a number which they used to call my appt and when i went back for the results.Nobody knew my name and I was amazed the other people in the waiting room were all different.Smartly dressed guys in suits, a girl with her Mum, a woman in her 50's sat reading a magazine.They were all as ordinary as you or I.Nobody stared or made anything of the fact you were there.

The nurse and the doctor were lovely, the questions were personal but i didnt feel ashamed of answering them.They did everything they could to make me feel at ease.

If I had reason to worry in future(I hope I wont) Id go back no probs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Esmerelda

If I had reason to worry in future(I hope I wont) Id go back no probs.

*shudder

The nurse I saw there was awful. She was really rude, and made me feel really bad. :(
  • Options
    She was probably the nurse who asked me on the phone if Id been dallying round with half the town:rolleyes:

Im glad she wasnt there when i went.Id have clocked her one!:shocking: