Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Any paperboys?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I do a paper round... and it sucks. But its my only way to get money till I'm old enough to get a proper job, like in a shop or something...

I've decided that I'm gonna stick with it till I'm 16 (less than a year :) ) and then I'm just not going to tell them I'm giving up and see how long it'll take them to notice while they keep putting money into my account every week for doing nothing :D

So does anyone else do a round?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to do a paperound until the shop i done it for offered my a job there at the weekends. So i gave it up (and no wonder).. I hated doing paperounds cos the weather was always crap and u got crap wages for doing it. So Glad i dont do one anymore:D
    i did a paper round! i loved it, especially the tips at christmas. :D
    well, i am only 14, and have just signed up for a paperound. I get up early, and was originally going to have a morning round, as i had heard you got paid more and it was instantly yours (no que). However, my mum said that people get taken away in the morning... so she wouldnt let me have a morning paperound. Then I had to say i wanted an afternoon paperound. So now, im just on the waiting list for an after school round. Ill just have to see when they call me back.

p.s is there any future in being a paperboy?

p.p.s - you probvably shouyldn't answer that :P
    People get taken away in the morning?

Where do they get taken?

Sorry, but i think this is evidence of a media induced paranoia, to the extent where it stops people running their lives.
    Originally posted by babes r us
    i did a paper round! i loved it

Are you insane? :p

I did a paper round for 4 long years and it was crap. The tips were the only saving grace, but in general it was completely crap. Far too cold in the winter, spider webs in the summer, and no lie ins. Ever.
    i wish i was in US. Then i could shuck it at ppl and cats and kock over garden gnomes.
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way

Are you insane? :p

I did a paper round for 4 long years and it was crap. The tips were the only saving grace, but in general it was completely crap. Far too cold in the winter, spider webs in the summer, and no lie ins. Ever.

no :D
    i just liked it it was good and you got paid for it which is even better. and my tips were really good. i had a paper round for 4 yrs aswell. i had a morning and afternoon one and then 3 rounds on sunday. then i stopped doing that and started delievering papers for some one else and just did afternoons and no sundays :D
    Ive been on this waiting list for quite a long time now, i dont think im gonna get a paperound until im 16 probably.

Lol, wonder if there are any 'senior paperboys' ie: 30+

I want any job, im 15, there are just no jobs availanle. At all! Help me, help me, help me!!
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    well, i am only 14, and have just signed up for a paperound. I get up early, and was originally going to have a morning round, as i had heard you got paid more and it was instantly yours (no que). However, my mum said that people get taken away in the morning... so she wouldnt let me have a morning paperound. Then I had to say i wanted an afternoon paperound. So now, im just on the waiting list for an after school round. Ill just have to see when they call me back.

p.s is there any future in being a paperboy?

p.p.s - you probvably shouyldn't answer that :P

Did you have a birthday between posts?
    I had one for 3 years and liked it. Crap pay. I got £15 a week for 2 rounds a day, and it was a big round too. But it was good exercise, I got to know lots of people (meaning boys), loads of tips and it got me out of bed.

Once a bloke came out of his house (not at Christmas) and said 'my wife said you looked miserable the other day so I thought this would cheer you up' and gave me a tenner. :D

I also met 2 boyfriends while doing my paper round.

And there was an old man who I used to do little jobs for like taking his rubbish out and he gave me birthday presents and cake.
    Never done one

Never will :)
    Good for you, well why bother commenting on it then?
    Sweet baby jesus...

Why not ?
    Because it's pointless?
    I was contributing to the discussion.
    hmmm, yes i did have a birthday inbetween my posts. I am thinking of going to get a job at the video shop, i have a new idea "DVD deliveries!"

its where little peeps like me go round peoples houses in our village and drop off dvds and videos.
    I think it would be worth it, as so many people are lazy. Do you know how i could copyright this idea?

and will they give me a job if i tell them about my idea?

who knows?

maybe if i cant get a job i can be a cat burgalar, jumping from bungalow roof to bungalow roof, stealing chimney pots hehehe.

oh, not that theres any point apart from my own twisted satisfaction, www.toilet.com is a funny website, not finished i dont think yet tho. Blonde jokes r funny (no offense to blondes :lol: )
    haha
    yeah I've been in the paper boy industry myself...took me a few months to get tired of bein mugged off by the people (tenner a week for about 500 papers:eek2:...local papers lol)
    then i started dumping them
    "just this once...the weathers shit and i've got homework to do"
    "in a few weeks these would have rotted away"

then one day i looked down the quarry i'd been throwing them down and realised that i'd got a small forests worth of paper stashed away :lol:.

when i have to clear out the garage or something i still find the odd paper tucked away :D

there were some perks though;
    i remember "forgettin" to put the hot chocolate sachets into the papers on more than one occasion lol

(edited because of typos)
    I used to do one. Well 2 actually. I did the freebie paper, 200 houses once a week (for 18months I think) and a morning paper round from a newsies every morning (for 9 months). It was ok at the time but I got a job in a supermarket as soon as I was old enough. Used to get sworn at sometimes with the free ones as people often don't like receiving them.
    I could never do a morning paper round, I have enough trouble getting up as it is. I did a a local paper a few years ago though. Probably got better pay for that (per hour) than for pretty much any job I've had since, depressingly enough. I could get up to £20 for barely three hours work. I got to listen to a lot of music as well, always a good thing.
    I must have been the oldest paperboy here. After the GCSEs, aged 16 in 1995, I joined the queue for the two newsagents in my village.

In December 1995, one of the shops got back to me and offered a morning round. It was Monday to Saturday, £7 a week for roughly 20 newspapers in each daily round. I had to be in the shop for 7am on weekdays, and 7:45 on the Saturday.

The money wasn't great, but it was by far the most I was ever getting at that time. I splashed it out mainly on music CDs.

In 1997 aged 19, I was given a shop job at the same place and hung onto the paper round as well! This was before the days of the legal minimum wage, so I was only £2 an hour. My home village is very working class. I did 6 hours in the shop per week, plus the £7/week paper round.

In '99, the minimum wage came in and that took up to £3/hour. I was only working in the holidays then, because I was at university. In the Millenium, the shop changed hands so I couldn't go back.

Apparently even now, the wage for the old paper round I used to do has only gone up £1 to since my start in 1995.
    Used to have a paper round, spent the whole time wanting a better job, ended up babysitting and until I'm 16 (4 months) thats all I can do!

I hated it. I didn't get tips at Christmas. I had an old woman running down the street after me yelling 'paper boy' in a high pitched voice. I am a girl. I have long hair. I do not appreciate being called 'boy'. From that day onwards I started getting angry and slack with it, it was an afternoon round and I spent all Wednesday night folding leaflets and then delievered about three quarters of the 220 papers the next day. The rest got chucked in someone dustbin. On several occassions I did none. In the end my Dad realised and made me give it up. It only paid £5-25 flat rate and about 80p per set of leaflets anyway, so I did the amount of work I thought I was being paid for!!

Isn't it unfair that we're not allowed to get a decent job yet?! It annoys me so much, espesh as my parents expect me to pay for everything myself including almost £200 worth of Christmas. grrrr!!
    Originally posted by Braidsta

i remember "forgettin" to put the hot chocolate sachets into the papers on more than one occasion lol

i also "forgot" to put them in the papers...and i "accidentally" shook the bag repeatedly so some of the ones i had put in fell out.

still have a load of em left! :D
    Duffy