Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sharing a room..eek!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
heylo!! i have a wee problem and i wanna know has anyone any pointers..veiws...helpfull advice for me:D

im startin college next tuesday (yay- FREEDOM!!) doin an equine studies HND (muckin round with horses really) and am living in halls.the halls are great...brilliant even...the rooms arnt too bad either...en-suite!! (ohh i like me comforts..) BUT they are all two bed bedrooms..im gonna be livin (closely) to a complete stranger! what if they dont like my taste in music!:eek: what if they dont like my taste in posters(or something like that..):eek: what if they SNORE:eek2: heeeeelp.....

oh and if im sounding a bit..i dunno..selfish...me sorry but iv never shared a room with anyone!! (except my sister...i was 4....what i do remember is barbie doll throwing fights,lights out fights and personal space fights....in the end i did abit of DIY and usin a red crayon drew a line across the room:D )
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I shared a room last year.

You have a ready made friend - someone you have to get on with. It'll be great.

PM me if you want to know some more.
  • Options
    God poor you.

I shared a room when working on a summer camp with a girl from Belfast. She was lovely and we got on so it was okay, but I couldn't have my boyfriend to stay, which was a pain. It was ok, but I would hate to share at uni, I need my personal space. How are you supposed to work, sleep all day, and bring back random men when you have to share a room???
  • Options
    thanks bumble....never thought of it like that....i am kinda scared of having to make loads of friends when i start, this should help!:D i am a personal space kinda person but im supossing il HAVE to deal with it....ho hum pigs bum:D
  • Options
    Trust me it will be nice to have someone to face the world with, especially if you're a shy person. :)
    And you'll probably both be on the same course if you're 'mucking around with horses' so you can also help each other with work.
    I am sure you'll find your own space.
  • Options
    Then you're screwed.
  • Options
    Honey don't be scared!

I'm sure your college has faced this dilemma many times before and will have tried to match you up with someone as similar as possible to you.

The best thing to do is probablly to go into this with an open mind - you never know how much you'll both have to teach/share with each other!

As well as a ready-made friend ... you'll also widen your social circle (if you want to) by meeting all of your room-mates friends.

And if the worst comes to the worst you can always shut your bedroom doors and ignore each other!
  • Options
    Originally posted by cymruangel
    And if the worst comes to the worst you can always shut your bedroom doors and ignore each other!

that's just the point - she can't close her door as she shares a bedroom. we have a few rooms like that at my uni - i knew someone who shared and she didn't have a problem. they do generally give you two of everything, like desks and wardrobes etc, so you will have some personal space. the college should also have a welfare department to deal with things if they go tits up. i have accommodation issues this year but my uni's Residential Services department are pulling their finger out and not standing idly by, so don't worry!
  • Options
    ok im into my 3rd week of my course now,it aint too bad really. im sharing with a bit of a normal girl,its a bit annoying with the lack of space and all but im coping.the girl is nice,ok even but has a VERY crap taste in music! oh well cant do anything about it really,just put on good music as much as i can and hope she doesnt mind! she doesnt snore which is an added bonus! its kinda strange because she has a very different style to me and eh..is a bit more tidy!

actually just thought id add something.its uber strangeness!! (even for me!!) im a shy person normally and i think the people in my course kinda know that now..but yes anyway tahts not teh problem....i have suddenly become EXTREMLY clumsy!!! dropping plates,bowls,losing socks,wallets,cds,the lot!! im really not ususually like this and i cant figure out why iv become so clumsy! even my room mate has commented on my clumsyness.....and my brilliantness at losing things! its kinda getting me down,i just wanna fit in to college and not be known as the clumsy one that loses everything! its depressing! help!

chow anyway..
    Claire
    xxx