Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, i started my period in january and then didnt have any til april but i thought that was normal cos over the 1st few years of it startin theyre supposed to be a bit dodgy. but the other week i told my friend that i hadnt had a period sinse april and i thought it was cos of my weight (cos im a bit underweight) and she said that if u dont have a period for 2 months then you go to the docs. i havent had sex so i aint pregnant. i have tryed to eat more to get my weight up a bit but it aint worked. i will be soooooo embarressed if i go to the docs. can any1 help me?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm afraid the only advice anyone here can really give you is to go and see your doctor. Yes periods are very irregular however, if you are underweight you need to tell your doctor this so you can talk about your weight issue, diet, not just your periods. Do you have a friend/family member you can take with you?
    You can actually skip periods if you are underweight. This is the body's way of making sure you won't get pregnant if your body is not able to properly nourish a developing fetus. Your body needs a certain amount of fat to be able to support an extra life growing inside.

You can also skip for any number of reasons. I used to skip a couple of cycles a year because of swimming (this is what my doctor thought).

I don't think you need to go to the doctor just yet. You've only had two cycles and it's expected that they will be irregular. I didn't see a 'girl' doctor till I was 19. I was too embarrassed to see a doctor if anything was wrong, but it always turned out alright.
    When I first started my periods I was very irregular, I think in the first 3 years I only had about 8!

Even now I don't have one every month, I have about 7-8 a year, rather than the 12 my friends seem to have!

Now is a good time to see a doctor if you are worried about being underweight. Simply eating more is not really going to help as you might have a metablosim problem or lets just face it, you may just be destined to be petit! Either way, your doctor will be able to give you fab advice about your weight and whilst you're there you could mention your worries about your period!
    so you reckon i should just go and see my doc about my weight then? and mention periods? im so scared!!!
    Originally posted by Lou_xx
    im so scared!!!

Hi again Lou - in all seriouness there is no need to worry. However, I am always a little nervous before I go to the doctors, basically because it is fear of the unknown, but I am still here and very much alive!

I am sure that whatever happens your doctor will be able to sort it out. They're pretty good like that! ;)

Just think how proud you can be once you get back!
    I would go and see the doctors if I were you. the fact that you started your periods so late, and youre still not having them regularly, would make me want to get it checked out. It might be nothing but wouldnt hurt to get it checked.

i already know about this stuff but thanks anyway :)
    i reckon u should not worry.
    when i first strted my periods i was irregular but now theyve settled, they are menna be irregular in the first year. so wait for about 6 months of someat and then see the doc if they are still worrying you.
    luv lou
    Hi, hows things? You may have nothing to worry about, periods can be very irregular for the first year or two at least but to put your mind at rest it might be worth going to the doctors. I can understand to some degree how you feel about going to the doctors, I hate going as well! I'm always terribly nervous about going and try and put it off as long as possible. But sometimes they're not that bad! They are there to help you.
    Do you have a GP at your surgery that you feel slightly more comfortable talking to than some of the other doctors there? Also if you're worried about seeing a male doctor about your periods and think it would be embarrassing talking to a man about it you may be surprised, if he is a nice doctor you could well find him more helpful and nice about it than a female doctor. (that was the case with me anyway) But if you'd be happier with a woman, try and see a lady GP at your surgery.
    The one thing that worries me is how old you were when you started your periods. Were you 17? (I looked at your birthdate on your profile.) It might be good to see a doctor just to check everythings ok. 17 seems a little late. Please dont worry though, its probably nothing, it might just be to do with you being underweight but if so your doctor will probably be able to advise you about your weight.
    Remember they are used to seeing people about things like this, you'll be ok. I really hope things turn out ok for you. Just think: if you manage to go to the doctors you'll have a great sense of achievement afterwards that you managed to do something that you found really hard. All the best. Let us know how you get on. Lots of love and a *big hug* CL xxxxx.
    I started my periods when I was 11. I went to my doctor when I didn't have my period and he told me that sometimes even when you are a grown woman your ovaries don't have to produce an egg every single month. He told me to imagine it like a switch sometimes the light doesn't send a signal.

After he explained that to me I felt a lot better.

If you are worried cos 17 is a little old to start your periods go to your doc and he or she will sort you out.

I hope that helped.
    this reminds me, my period is stupidly late this month. :mad:
    Originally posted by Britney
    this reminds me, my period is stupidly late this month. :mad:

Have you took a test?