Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tips for new uni students!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Instead of relying on lots of file paper, my advice is to buy one of those hardback A4 notepad books for each module you do.

This way you can't/won't lose all those annoying pieces of file paper and when it comes to revision it will all be in one place!!
Anyone else got any tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good plan, that's what I do except I use a lever-arch folder and dividers to keep my modules separate. Mind you, since I do physics, there's not a great deal of writing.

Getting to know the library is a good thing, particularly finding the books you need before others. Some subjects have a core book that everyone needs and to save yourself a bit of cash, check the library early on if you can.

Your NUS card is your friend, make sure you ask every shop assistant if they do student discounts. It annoys them and saves you 10%.

I'm sure I'll think of more in a minute but it's still a bit early for me.
    With regards to the library - I know it might sound tempting, but never ever wait until the last minute to get books for an essay. Go weeks in advance and do the required reading / photocopying / notetaking beforehand. You can then forget about your essay until a few days before its due because you've got all your material.

Trust me, this way you save the heartache of sitting next to a person who has a lovely pile of all the books you wanted stashed next to them. It also means that if you had a choice of questions you get to pick the most popular one first!

It might sound like a total pain but just a few hours prep in the library well in advance will save you heartache.

Another tip - if you don't want to go to seminars, remember that your grandparents can each only die once. We had a girl whose grandparents died twice each. She was caught out and fined or something!! Oh, and remember that if you lie about going to a funeral and then really have to go to one at a later date, you will feel really really bad. :(
    What about having two sets of grandparents?
    Originally posted by Silkysunflower
    What about having two sets of grandparents?
    Well they can still only die once can't they. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Oh i see what you mean by "your grandparents can each only die once".
    Forget i said it! lol
    a few more tips... (they apply here at universities and colleges, so i'm pretty sure it will apply to you too)

you really don't need the books right away. buy them when you got the money, just make sure it is before mid-terms

there will be somebody on your floor with a car, make friends with them the first day

make friends who work at fast food, then go there late at night and get free food, saves money

most classes you either need to go to class or just read the book, there is really no sense in doing both. you will get the same info either way.

the first year, make sure to visit your parents as often as possible, they will miss you and it is a great way to get money and your laundry done.

make friends with a football player. then every week just throw a few pieces of laundry in their practice bag and it will get done with theirs. (make sure they guy knows about it though)

school food sucks

it doesn't matter what time your first class is, you will sleep thru it more often than not, make sure it is an easy one.
    Thanks my_name. Decent, practical advice. :)