Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's going on??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I'm ill, but I don't want to say anything to my family as they already think I'm a hypochondriac.

Its my time of the month and I'm having stronger stomach cramps than usual and they've lasted longer. Also I passed out in work on Sunday.

This has happened before but its not a regular thing - at unpredicatable intervals I get 'bad' periods - headaches , fainting and strong pains

what should I do?

(btw I'm a bit scared to go to the doctors due to a fear of needles -I know he'll want to do a blood test and then I'll just end up fainting again!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand you're worried about the needles, but I expect if a blood sample was necessary a doctor would understand your problem and be very sympathetic. Afterall, they must have had patients with this problem hundreds of time before.

I don't know what your problem is, but it is obviously worrying you a lot, and could potentially be dangerous if you collapse again, so surely it must be worth risking a blood test for your own peace of mind? They might not even need a blood sample anyway, and it might be an easier problem to solve than you think.

good luck babe, whatever you decide to do.

xxx
    If its any help i suggest you do go and get a blood test. They dont use syringes any more, they use a round plastic thing with a small needle inside of it and attach a phile to collect the blood (sorry, i cant explain it v well). Basically the needle is v small and you hardly feel it. I had a blood test recently and it was fine, no scary needles in sight!
    I hope it all goes well, you could be anaemic maybe?
    actually, you probably won't need a blood test, they are more likely to examine you and refer you for an ultrasound scan. It is definately worth getting checked out though, as if you have noticed a sudden change in your pains, it could indicate that something isn't right.
    We have an article on period problems here

Go and see your GP, they're there to help :)
    Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

As I passed out again last night (at the top of a flight of stairs which I then fell down) I have decided to swallow my fear and go and see my GP.

Will let you know how it went tomorrow

xx
    well well - apparantly I have nothing to worry about (apart from the sky falling down of course!)
    hmmmm well modify that a little, nothing 'major' to worry about
    Stupid isnt it? you get to 18 and think you know all about your body, and that nothing it does can surprise you then - bang!

according to the doc, I have low (but not dangerously low) blood pressure, which means that when I get cramps my body's defences stop compensating for my blood pressure and start trying to cope with the pain - hence the fainting etc.
    [something to do with something called a 'vegal nerve']
    I had to giggle - he couldn't even sense a pulse in one arm!!

so anyway - have a (rather large) box of pain killers to tide me over for a while and I have to tell the doctors when I get to uni about it - if that doesnt help enough I'll probablly end up having the injection-type version of the pill.

Thank you again for your support - I feel a lot less scared now, although I really hope the painkillers work as I'm not looking forward to regular injections :(
    I used to have a terrible fear of needles, which was quite unfrotunate as I was in hospital for a long period of time at the time.

I used to panic when a doctor would come into my room - and when it came down to someone actually taking blood I would literally have to have someone hold me down. :eek:

EVentually I just got used to it, but it's no joke having a phobia of needles.