Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parental Contributions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was just wondering how much others who are going/are at uni are given by their parents each month as a contribution to their living costs?? And is there a recommended figure for parents to give??

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    My parents give me nothing.

Not because they are mean but because they don't have anything to give me. Even though the LEA thinks they have a spare £611 floating around to pay my tuition fees!

However, my grandmother, who is quite well off gives me and my cousin £100 each a month which shows she has a fair bit to spare) and this really helps. Without it I would have to leave uni.

My mates dad gives her £40 a week which I think is silly. She doesn't spend it all. If your parents can afford it £100 a month would be nice of them, but if not maybe £10 a week?

How well off are your parents?
  • Options
    Nothing.
    Which is fair enough, as my current salary is better than my parents'. Guess I'll just have to work during all vacations - taking advantage of Norwegian salaries being reasonably high.
    They did support me with about £70 a month through senior sec. though, as I was living away.
  • Options
    My parents aren't very well off, but they're divorced so I normally do quite well out of these situations, since they both can afford to give me some, and they give me money seperately.

I'm not too worried about my finances at Uni really. I don't have to pay any tuition fees which is great, and I've got a fair amount of savings.

That sucks that your parents can't give you anything both of you. Are you both expecting to be in a lot of debt after Uni?? Don't you have to pay ridiculous tuition fees Thalia, since you're a foreigh student?? I don't really see why they do that, seems a bit unfair.

The whole financial aspect is a bit daunting I guess. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Alsvartr

Well, yes - £10200 a year, probably increasing during course. But I can sort of understand why it is like that though... Since tuition is in English, which is spoken by so many, I think they might attract extreme loads of students from abroad unless there was a hitch. Am more annoyed that EU students pay home fees, whereas EEA (we follow all the same rules in anything else) pay international fees... guess at least I'll be extremely motivated.
    I expect to have almost £13,000 in debts after the three years, and more when I continue studies... but I would no matter where I studied, these fees just make me have to work all holidays - am already persuading my boss to guarantee me summer jobs every year, and trying to talk him into giving me phone, laptop and a job while I'm there.
  • Options
    My parents are providing my tuition and residence fees as they're quite well off (touch wood). It's quite a lot as my accomodation will be covered but I'm hoping to earn enough to ease their burden during my gap year.
  • Options
    I expect to have debts of about £12,000 when I graduate.

It is tough that my parents can't contribute. Saying that, my dad does jobs around the house for me, and drives me to the supermarket oncea week. My mum does the garden for me etc.

They aren't mega poor or anything, don't get me wrong, but they just don't have enough spare cash to give me some to probably blow on a student lifestlye and pay for the things a 15 year old boy wants too.

I've got a job I love so I don't get too hung up about it.
  • Options
    My parents are paying for 3 of us at diff. Uni's. It is not good as they work very hard for that money (like most parents) and we are spending it on Education and getting la$hed. I think I'll buy them a house in Spain on my first pay check from the Colombians.
  • Options
    Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    my parents are paying my tuition fees (£938, which is good, i was expecting it to be the full £1100), but aren't giving me anything else. my loan isn't enough to cover everything at all (although i am getting more than i expected, yay!).. luckily i have £2000 saved from working part time last year. so i'll have to get jobs in the holidays, full time i think. my savings won't last past the first year, but i won't get my loan in time for the start of my course, so i definitely need that money!! they are buying me a laptop though, combined birthday and christmas present. i might have to contribute, which isn't good for the state of the loan...