Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Stupidity Displayed by The News of the World

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What was the name of the famous bloke who was badly burned in the falklands? Simon Weston? According to the some of your views if you was him you would rather be dead. Yet he has gone on to have a fulfilling life, to an extent.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

...But answering your question, then I thought that it's interesting that (as far as I know) in some combats units within the military, the soldiers get a minimal amount of poison which they can hide, and in case of getting caught by the enemy, then that is supposed to "save" them.
    So the idea of "death rather than abuse and torture" is probably more widespread than it was thought to be.

Some military units have poison capsules under the tongue so that if captured they can kill themselves. Normally these particular units are the ones with confidential insider information. For them to be captured, tortured and announce their sides military plans to the enemy would be a disaster. So instead, they take their own lives. Its nothing to do with "Death rather than Torture".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    What was the name of the famous bloke who was badly burned in the falklands? Simon Weston?

In spite of the fact that he was suicidal for a long time, and still has nightmares.

But hey, he's not suffering. Right?
    Yet he has gone on to have a fulfilling life, to an extent.

To an extent is rather an interesting statement though. Isn't it.

Note: I have never said that people cannot live a "fulfilling" life, just that they will suffer at the same time.
    Its nothing to do with "Death rather than Torture".

No, I'm sure that they would give up this sensitive information immediately on capture. That the torture wouldn't have anything to do with it :rolleyes:

Death rather than torture, because they couldn't withstand the torture...

Bit of a mute argument though, I have a feeliong someone has been reading too many novels. If the soldier wanted to chose death first he is more likely to use a bullet than seomthing he could accidentally swallow...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

In spite of the fact that he was suicidal for a long time, and still has nightmares.

But hey, he's not suffering. Right?

To an extent is rather an interesting statement though. Isn't it.

Note: I have never said that people cannot live a "fulfilling" life, just that they will suffer at the same time.

No, I'm sure that they would give up this sensitive information immediately on capture. That the torture wouldn't have anything to do with it :rolleyes:

Death rather than torture, because they couldn't withstand the torture...

Bit of a mute argument though, I have a feeliong someone has been reading too many novels. If the soldier wanted to chose death first he is more likely to use a bullet than seomthing he could accidentally swallow...

I think the point about Simon Weston is that he would rather be alive now, than have died. Nobody said he's had it easy, but the point as usual seems to have been overlooked. He has a wife and children, and leads a pretty normal life by all accounts. He has suffered, and probably still suffers, due to what happened to him. But that's what life is. Everyone has experiences they'd rather not have to a lesser or greater extent. He's carried on living, and I'm sure he's glad to have done so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

Of course there is a very good chance you will be happy and have a fulfilling life. you are 14 now and the things that have happened to you must be very recent, so the feelings will still be quite raw. With help and counselling, hopefully youll be able to learn to live with what has happened and have as much of a happy life as anybody else.

Didn't realise she was so young. This would obviously be difficult to discuss from a hypothetical point of view.

Hope no offence has been caused, and hope things get better in the future.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sir Cum
    What was the name of the famous bloke who was badly burned in the falklands? Simon Weston? According to the some of your views if you was him you would rather be dead. Yet he has gone on to have a fulfilling life, to an extent.

I'd go further than that and remove the 'to an extent' from that. Obviously I don't know him, but it appears that he has had a happy and fulfilling life. As happy and fulfilling as many other people. I'm sure he has normal family problems, disagreements etc, and he's probably pleased he gets to have those. There's the other side of the coin where he is probably more appreciative of what he has and life now, with his wife and children, because of what he's been through. Speculation in his case I know, but a definite possibility for people.

He's got to live his life with his family, see his kids grow up, his kids have their father around, his wife has her husband, and they lead a normal life. So he had a terrible experience, terrible injuries. He probably does have nightmares, probably will never forget it. Doesn't mean he'd rather be dead.

Did I say I'd made my final point a while ago? I just can't help myself, can I?
  • Options
    Originally posted by AGoldenBoy
    I think the point about Simon Weston is that he would rather be alive now, than have died.

Yes, now. But then he has proved to be very strong. How many Falklands vets haven't been so fortuante, how many of his shipmates haven't gone on to live such a life?

Either way, as I have said and as have you, he still suffers.
    Did I say I'd made my final point a while ago? I just can't help myself, can I?

Ah, the sign of someone addicted to this place.

Welcome to my world :D
  • Options

Yes, now. But then he has proved to be very strong. How many Falklands vets haven't been so fortuante, how many of his shipmates haven't gone on to live such a life?

Either way, as I have said and as have you, he still suffers.

Ah, the sign of someone addicted to this place.

Welcome to my world :D

He suffers. Many other people suffer, one way or another. That's all part of living. My only point is that death would be worse for most people, including him, whether he still suffers or not. No doubt the benefits of him being alive outweigh any suffering he might go through.

And yes, addiction is a terrible thing, particularly when I should be working. If everyone could just agree with me 100% I'd get a lot more work done...!
  • Options

How many Falklands vets haven't been so fortuante, how many of his shipmates haven't gone on to live such a life?

Don't know. Do you?

How many have?
  • Options
    Originally posted by AGoldenBoy

Don't know. Do you?

How many have?

Sorry I don't.

I am aware of some who have mental problems, and some who topped themselves...
  • Options
    At least 200 falklands war veterans have killed themselves since the conflict ended. Thats fast approaching the number who were actually killed during the war. Its been averaging 10 a year since the conflict ended.

link
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    At least 200 falklands war veterans have killed themselves since the conflict ended. Thats fast approaching the number who were actually killed during the war. Its been averaging 10 a year since the conflict ended.

link

Very interesting facts in that link.

It does show that events such as the Falklands War has far-reaching consequences on those involved, which need to be dealt with. The major complaint seems to be lack of diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, implying that if diagnosed and treated correctly, hopefully the suicide levels would not be that high. So there is the possibility of improvement. If left to their own devices, those individuals have clearly got major problems which in many cases aren't going to improve over time.