Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

diabetics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im 17yr old girl and my boyfriends a diabetic. i was tested a couple of years ago with a blood sugar of 2.2. they sed it was negative and i was just having "teenage" problems!

now 2 years on im still suffering from fatigue and i get the shakes a lot. sometimes wen i stand up i lose my vision all togetherand black out for a minute. i find that especially after drinking im shaky. does drinkin lower the blood sugar level??

my boyfriend tested my blood sugar the other day and it was 4.4 he says this is too low. i eat a lot and often as im always hungry so its not like im not gettin enough food.

my doctor is useless though. is this worth getting seen by someone else?

i wasn't goin to worry about it as im used to feelin like this now, only i read that if its not treated int can cause problems later on.

thanks sorry if i havnt been very clear!! quick response would b appreciated! x

Comments

• Options
    I have Diabetes myself.

Drinking alcohol lowers the blood-sugar.

Your blood sugar does seem a bit low, but it can happen to people without Diabetes as well at times.

I would recommend you to see another doctor, just to be sure, as no one here can give you a concrete answer.
    Also if you feel very tired, need to pee all the time and thirsty, then I would book the appointment fast.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    YES YOU SHOULD. 2.2...what the f*ck??

I forgot the normal level but 2.2 is fatally low. A combination of diet and excerise is meant to control it but i'm not too sure at the mo.

That shakyness basically means your body is unable to tolerate the low levels and is about to collapse. If you keep letting it drop you'll pass out into a coma. Once in a coma, there's little chance of waking and you'll die. I saw this guy in A&E whose level was about ~2.0 and needed a drip straight away.

You should see another doc and get another opinion.

I've got symptoms of diabetes but don't actually have it on tests and record....:confused:
  • Options
    Hi FM

Having a low blood sugar does not mean that you have diabetes.
    However, if you feel ill a lot then go to the doctor again. If you don't get on with your GP, go to a different doctor in the practice (tell the receptionist you would rather see a doctor who is male/female instead etc).
  • Options
    cheers

thanks a lot everyone. i doubt it is diabetes and dont worry that 2.2 was a couple of years ago now! lol.

mind u though i do feel dodgy quite often so i will get it checked out by another doctor, its embarrassing though saying ur doctors crap!

think il eat more when i drink aswell now you've confirmed that it does lower ur blood sugar levels.

wenever i used to get the shakes i used to get really scared but now it doesnt really bother me im used to it, but its best to get it sorted though rite?!

cheers mateys! im gonna carry on munching away!! like i sed its not lack of food!! :D

x - x