Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice Please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I got these results for my AS:

AQA Computing: B
OCR Phyiscs : D
AQA Business Studies : D
AQA Chemistry : E
OCR Maths: U

Bloody ridiculous isn't it. I must admit that my parents were on the verge of divorce and arguing all the time for the past year causing me grief too.

I'm wondering what I should do :confused: . I got a D in GCSE English and teachers say that I should retake that this november. I need to cash in some result but don't know which ones. Should I forget about maths like I never actually did it?

I am doing these subjects for A2:
Computing
Physics
Business

I can retake some subject and make my overall AS grades:
Computing: A
Business Studies: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: E (not doing it next year so not allowed to retake)
Maths U (not doing it next year so not allowed to retake)

I consider myself to have a good knowledge in computers and was originally wanting to do computer science at uni but with these grades i guess not. I'm now think Information Systems or maybe Business Information Systems.

I've given my self a good kick in the back side (that I need to study more) so hopefully I can expect good A2 results. Possibly A,B,B,. I have to write my personal statement and UCAS in 6-8 weeks. Judging by my AS grade am I likely to get into a good university or not?? I will retake to get these grades but I will already have sent my ucas beofre I even take the exam:
Computing: A
Business: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: E
Maths U

I need all the careers advice I can get and would greatly appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Your results are not the end of the world ... re-taking is an option but may not always result in significantly better grades.

There are other routes you can take, another course or maybe a foundation course for the uni subject you want to take.

Basically, relax .. take in all the options available to you- and use that to decide .. not jump straight back into a re-take.
  • Options
    did you do badly in all your modules, or is there just one that's pulling you down? Cos if there is, you wouldn't have to retake the whole thing, if you concentrate on one module and think you could pull it right up, you could brng your entire grade up.
  • Options
    Re: Advice Please
    Originally posted by coolsurfer
    I have to write my personal statement and UCAS in 6-8 weeks. Judging by my AS grade am I likely to get into a good university or not?

You don't have to declare your AS grades on your UCAS form if you don't want too. In truth, the main thing that the university admissions people will be looking at is the predicted grades that they get from your college. Explain your situation and that you are going to improve this year and take resits to your teachers and they may be generous in their predicted grades.
  • Options
    Re: Advice Please
    Originally posted by coolsurfer

Chemistry: E (not doing it next year so not allowed to retake)
    Maths U (not doing it next year so not allowed to retake)

Thanks. [/B]

Even though you are not doing these subjects for A level it doesn't mean you can't retake AS modules from them. For example I've just done my AS year and dropped Latin. I got a B overall, ABD in the modules so I am retaking the D modue to try and bring my result to an A.

Secondly you don't need to write down the grades that you did really badly in. A friend of mine got a U in one of her 4 AS subjects but the headmistress told her to write on her UCAS that she was ill for the exams and didn't take them. However I thought there was always a way universities could find out your AS results even if you hadn't declared them?
  • Options
    To be honest it doesn't seem to be too big a problem. I was kind of in your shoes, at the end of my first year i was predicted a fail for A level history and a fail in GNVQ business. I considered my options and decided not to apply for uni that year but instead to take a gap year and apply after getting my grades.

I ended up with a B in history and a Merit in GNVQ and got into my top choice uni. Not only that but i had three of the best months of my life travelling up the east coast of Australia.

If your sure your gonna put the work in and get good grades for your A2's then why not do what i did? Universities look faveourably on students that have already got their grades becasue it means that there is no risk of you fucking up unexpectedly (sp?). Not only that but backpacking is a brilliant way of preparing yourself for uni, i'm 10 times more confident than i used to be talking to strangers, i can cook (well sort of :) ) i can manage my money and to be honest i'm not nervous about uni at all.
  • Options
    Some good advice above...but you should also go see your college careers advisor if you haven't already, they can go over all your options and help you work out the best one for you.

Susie :)