Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How many songs can a 32mb mp3 player hold?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This is for a friend who is wanting to buy an mp3 player. i only really deal with cd's because i download mp3's then burn them onto cd for my discman. so how many songs can this player hold if its 32mb?
And also, the cost of it is $197 AU. thats what, about 80 pounds or so.

Thanks all.

Drum
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It all depends what quality you want them at.. My guess is about 2 albums worth at magnetic tape quality.

Based on my ipaq having 16 Mb and holding one album. Of course if the album is "Hawkwinds most tedious" then it's more likely one song.
  • Options
    not many. 32 meg is about 8 normal length songs at 192bps which is the bps u want if u would actually like to hear the track clearly without that annoying background fuzziness
  • Options
    Thanks heaps. I'll tell her not to get it then. Argh i wish she just got a burner instead, cheaper to get the songs into a portable player.

Drum
  • Options
    Tell her to get a NetMD player.

It's basically just a MiniDisc player which you can connect to your PC/PS2 etc. thorugh it's USB port.

It's considerably faster than realtime recording, and all you need to do is buy more discs if you want to listen to mroe songs...

Or you could tell her to get an MP3 player that holds mroe than 32mb. I've seen ones that hold up to 30gb.
  • Options
    I have 64 meg one and that holds about 20 so i'm guessing about 10...
  • Options
    Why not just copy a few of your mp3's to a folder until it totals 32mb? That's how many roughly!
    Of course if you just copied track 1 from an album called "Amarok" you're stuffed already :)
  • Options
    Depending on bitrates, which I won't get you bogged down in, the avergae track is about 2 to 5 MB. So 32MB will be anything from 16 tracks (2MB each) to about 6 (5 MB each).

You could I suppose cope with 32MB but if you have go this way I would advise 64MB.
  • Options
    I was quite happy with my 32mb Rio until it broke. I got another 32mb one and that's never worked right so I'm having to send it back. It only cost me £60 and as I only listen for about half an hour at a time there's more than enough room on it for me.
  • Options
    I went into a store today and looked at prices of MD players, because im thinking about getting one in the summer (its winter right now) and i saw the NetMD for the first time. The sales assistant said they have just come in from europe and his really happy with them (all the hoohah to get me to buy it) and to me, it did sound great. Problem is, my friend, Mel wouldnt be on a budget like that. I will tell her about it though. They cost about $599+ EEK!:eek:
    I really want one now though cause of the size look and uses of the thing> ARGH CRAP IVE GOT STICKY KEYS AGAIN ON MY COMP> how i hate windows xp>

thanks all

drum
  • Options
    Yeah 32MB is about 8-10 songs.
    Don't let your friend get Lyra mp3 players I had 2 and they broke but luckily I got loadsss of money back!
  • Options
    I have got a 128Mb mp3 player with an expansion slot to fit another 128Mb card in it.

I think 128 is more than enough for me, I can hold about 30 tracks on it(only 30 as most of the music I listen to the tracks are about 8-9 mins long) and I take them off when I get bored with them.

Mp3 players rock man, I think they are great things to have :D
  • Options
    Yeh 32mb wont be able to store many tunes at all....depends on the bitrate...normally 128 to 198. Go and get yourself a minidisk player and connect it up to your pc with some xitel hardware. For the same price you can store 60 tunes, maybe more...but im speaking for myself:)