Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Something you all know

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What exactly are A-levels? I mean, yes I know it's in-depth studies of a few selected subjects - starting at age 14 or thereabouts? For two years? But how in-depth, i.e how many hours a week on each, how many subjects do most people do, and don't you have any general studies besides?

Am trying to figure out what level I'll be at in comparison with people at my course - seems most have done psychology A-levels, whereas I've never even had it as a subject, although I'm reading up.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You start a-levels at age 16 and they take two years to complete. Most people on average do between 2-4 a-levels although the numbers you take do vary. They are graded from A-E, an E still being a pass mark.

I for example did 3, getting 1 C and 2 D's. I think 3 is about the average number to take but the general results vary.

Each a-level is studied for 5 hours a week which is why not many can be taken all at once. They are time consuming because aswell as the main course backgroung reading and coursework is needed to be completed.

You dont do any additional subjects along side a-levels because the compolsorary age for ending other subjects is 16 and therefor the a-levels you choose are pthways you wish to persue career wise
  • Options
    We start A-levels at 16, and study them for 2 years. An A-level is made up of 2 parts; AS levels (first year) and A2 levels (second year). At the end of both years, we take exams in each subject. Most people do 4 in the first year, then drop one and do 3 for the second year.

As to how in-depth, obviously it's hard to compare with what you've been doing, but I can't imagine they are too different. In the second year, I had 8 classes (35 or 40 mins each) a week of each subject. I also did General Studies in the second year, and had 2 classes a week of that, although really hardly did any work all year in General Studies.

I'm also doing a Psychology degree starting in September, and I didn't study it for A-level, and I've never been taught it at any level. Most uni's don't have it as a requirement, which must mean prior knowledge really isn't very important, so I wouldn't worry about it. If they offered you a place, they must of thought you would be able to cope on the course, so I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Where are you going??
  • Options
    Going to Durham.
    (next autumn, deferring, suffer from itching travel bug this year)

I just don't quite trust that they gave me my place there on academic merit. My grades are well above average, but since I'll be paying international students' tuition fees (£10200 a year), I'm getting the impression that unis are very keen on letting me in. It seems a bit funny that Durham and Essex gave me unconditional offers, whereas Anglia Polytechnic which isn't even close to those in reputation etc. made my offer conditional because they were the only ones to realize that I don't have a full leaving certificate yet.

Guess I'll be fine though, but expecting to do more work than most during my fresher's year, as my English vocabulary needs a bit of a building up.

Seems the A-levels are pretty much like my in-depth studies in English and Political science anyway, which were five hours a week for two years. But I did some seven or eight other subjects alongside this, so probably more similar to an IB.

So you can actually get away as a student doing to A-levels at five hours each a week? Ten hours studies and living off your parents? How wonderful ;-)
  • Options
    Originally posted by thalia
    So you can actually get away as a student doing to A-levels at five hours each a week? Ten hours studies and living off your parents? How wonderful ;-)

Not really, if only it was that easy :D. I often found that most subjects would be the lesson time, [I had 6 hours per week of each subject], and the home time, which would consist of about 4 hours, going upto about 12 per week at exam times, so that's about 54 hours per week at peak times, plus a part time job to finance my going out and everything.
  • Options
    IB's are better and prefered i think....:confused: so they say in the papers...