Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Optics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I ordered an spirit measuring optic off the internet the other day, and just got it through the post there.

Works well with water, just need to go down the offy later and pick up a bottle of Smirnoff.

Anyone else got one of these, or am I the only one here sad enough to?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A mate of mine picked up a couple from a car boot sale once for 50p each for his vodka. He drank more after that though!
    My step Grandad owns a pub s i have allsorts of stuff like that! beermats, stirrers etc
    Originally posted by mejulie
    My step Grandad owns a pub s i have allsorts of stuff like that! beermats, stirrers etc

Ahh...but do you have one of those neon Budweiser signs?

(I don't, was just wondering if you did :rolleyes: )
    oh yeah, when we were students quite a few of us worked in bars... we had the logo-ed glasses, beer mats, beer towels, an impressive collection of shot glasses, and the obligitory optic.

It was bolted to our mantlepiece, so you could lie on your back on the sofa and deliver a shot directly into your waiting mouth. there are many pictures of people pased out on our sofa...
    swig it out the bottle man ! gets you in a propper uncouth drinking mood.
    well my uncle used to own a bar and when he closed down my dad raided it and stole all the optics and glasses and stuff to build the bar in the house....so yip i do have optics and they do make you drink more:D
    a bar in the house ? very 1960s that rocker. or is your old man a bit like jack duckworth ?
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Ahh...but do you have one of those neon Budweiser signs?

(I don't, was just wondering if you did :rolleyes: )

Um...nope!:(
    But i have a light up carling thing off a pump hehe
    Fuck!

Now I have the problem of finding somewhere to screw it onto.

I thout I could stick it to the wall, but I need a horizontal surface to attach it to :(
    you need a shelf or a mantlepiece.

did I mention we had a neon Red Bull Sign and three Jack daniels plaques?
    You can get brackets to fit them on walls.

I use them all the time. They are great for reasonably quiet times. However once the action heats up you really just want a pourer on the bottle, as optics just can't dispense the stuff fast enough for some parties. It's much more ideal to be able to line up all the glasses on a table and pour them out bang bang bang bang bang etc. That way you can keep up with the action rather than wait for the chamber to refill each time.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    a bar in the house ? very 1960s that rocker. or is your old man a bit like jack duckworth ?

dont be so cheeky you...its a great focal point to the games room for parties ect.
    Uhh...this may sound slightly stupid, but how the hell are you supposed to fit new bottles without spilling them? :confused:
    Ok, keep the bottle top down so the last of the alcohol stays in the optic's measuring chamber. Remove the bottle. Then take the cap off the new bottle. Have the bottle next to the optic with both of them pointing opening up. Touch the opening of the optic against the mouth of the bottle and while tilting the bottle slightly turn the optic over so it goes in in one fluid motion. It's easy once you get the hang of it. The rotate the bottle so the label is at the front.

Ta da
    Originally posted by Alistair
    Ok, keep the bottle top down so the last of the alcohol stays in the optic's measuring chamber. Remove the bottle. Then take the cap off the new bottle. Have the bottle next to the optic with both of them pointing opening up. Touch the opening of the optic against the mouth of the bottle and while tilting the bottle slightly turn the optic over so it goes in in one fluid motion. It's easy once you get the hang of it. The rotate the bottle so the label is at the front.

Ta da

I thought it would be something liek that, but...

the optic doesn't tilt once it's been screwed on to the shelf.
    Ah.

You should be able to remove the optic itself from the shelf bracket. Check the bottom of the optic just behind the measuring chamber. There should be something like a pin. Pull the pin down and the optic should slide out from the bracket. When putting it back, lift up the bit that clamps the top of the bottlepush the bottle up, and push the optic back into the bracket - it should click into place.
    Argh!

Still no luck - there's no pin behind the chamber, or anywhere at all.

It's the type they use in most bars/clubs etc...Gaskell and Chambers.
    If it's a proper pub one there should be a pin thing. Not righ against the chamber, but where the optic itself attaches to the bracket - on the bottom.
    Or if you have the cheaper versions like this one:

http://www.gadgetsuk.com/optic_set_l2.jpg

The pin is the little silvery bit you can just see hanging down from where the black of the optic touches the silver bracket.
    Mine is like this Optic

Anyway, I'll figure it out sooner or later :D
    Ah, you've got a proper optic then, good boy :D

the pin should be about 5-6 cm back from the chamber, depending on what bracket you are using. The optic is seperate to the bracket, look at how they join, and along the bottom somewhere should be a pin.
    look at this picture:

http://www.grayden.co.uk/shopimages/botbracket.gif

That's what the average bracket itself looks like. The optic itself clips into that black bit. See the silver pin below it? that's what you use to release it.