Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO ebb

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here, I just read your signature:

"UK deaths in 1999, as a percentage of total users :-

Tobacco - 0.9 %
Alcohol - 0.5 %
Opiates - 0.003 %
Ecstasy - 0.00005 %
Cannabis - No recorded deaths

Exactley what is the governments war on drugs protecting us from ?"

Those figures are probably right, HOWEVER, e's etc, may not kill you but they CAN seriously fuck you up.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They all fuck you up, I could argue alcohol/nicotine more than e's.
    Yeah I know they all fuck you up. Lets talk about ecstasy and alcohol here. Who do you think is going to be in a worse state: someone who has been drunk every weekend for 30 years, or someone who has been on pills every weekend for 30 years?
    theyd probably both be a bit fucked.
    Originally posted by BARTONIOUS
    Yeah I know they all fuck you up. Lets talk about ecstasy and alcohol here. Who do you think is going to be in a worse state: someone who has been drunk every weekend for 30 years, or someone who has been on pills every weekend for 30 years?

In my personal opinion ecstasy, but there is little medical evidence to support my opinion, the predicted ecstasy fall out from the 80's is yet to materialise, whereas its proven long term drinking does damage your health. Its impossible to know either way until a couple of more decades have passed. Also effects from ecstasy long term are concentrated on the brain, alcohol attacks every organ in the body, brain and skin inclusive.

Of course the argument is more complex, for a start ecstasy tends to have an expiry date, its extremly unlikely any one person will use ecstasy for 30 years, the same can't be said of alcohol and we all know the potential social consequences of alcohol, the violence etc......... also in the short term alcohol is far more dangerous to your health, a trip to A&E on any given friday/saturday night will show you the vast amount of injuries which can be inflicted upon one self whilst pissed, then you've got people having their stomach pumped etc....

Then a trip to the police cells at similar times of the week will again yield large amounts of drunks in situations they'll regret in the morning.

On balance I believe ecsatsy is the better drug to use, however I'm prepared to admit that heavy use over a long period may leave a users state of mind somewhat messy, possibly more so that your average drinker.
    I dont think you can compare the two, they both have ups and downs but they're not used in the same way.
    Plus tests are always really difficult because the types of people who use mdma a lot are on the whole people who dont use booze as often.
    Mdma certainly has its up sides but personaly I dont think its given the respect it deserves, it is a safe drug if used carefuly with full knowlage of what you are taking and in what doseage. I think Mdma can be very useful in helping people talk through issues and problems. The image of telling your life story to the bloke next to you in the club isnt too far from the truth.

The bonus of booze is that you know how many units you are taking. Would you drink a bottle of beer which could have anything between 0-10 units of alcohol plus a variety of other chemcials? I wouldnt.
    However there are a lot of drawbacks with alcohol too, as has been mentioned you just have to look in the police cells on a friday night to see that. I'm preaty sure 1/3rd of all assults happen when one party is drunk.
    Thats why I'm always on about testing your pills.