Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

C++

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and learning how to code in it.

I'm downloading the Borland Enterprise cBuilder evaluation exe thingy

I'm assuming this will provide all the neccessary tools?no??

Anyways, is c++ programming like Java, simply write in a text file and compile it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Yes like java a lot, and possibly the least readable language to program in.
    If you want to do it on a budget, get the gnu compiler, linker etc. Available for all platforms.
  • Options
    Dev C++

I'm learning C++ at the moment too. Haven't got as far as I would have liked to, but I'm getting there.
    If you're after a good free GUI C++ compiler, then I can reccomend Dev C++ 4 or 5(beta) from www.bloodshed.net
    They also have a similar Pascal compiler too.
    If you haven't got a book yet, then I can reccommend Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, by Jesse Liberty, SAMS publishing - www.sams.com
    There are a lot of free guides, and even whole manuals out there if you look around. Bruce Eckles seems to have some good, free to download, material to read. www.mindview.net/books

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    thanks for helping

out a relative N00b like me.

One more thing... I understand what the GNU general public licence is and what it stands for, but how can i be sure that the file that i run is safe, other than to read the source code and then compile that,

Eg how do i know my GNU C++ compiler isn't going to hi-jack my machine...or am i just paranoid??
  • Options
    Get a pre-assembled gnu compiler from a reputable source rather than trying to do it all yourself. Windows binaries are normally available along with any source.
    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

While I was just checking though, I spotted the Borland C++ compiler for free. I'm guessing it's a reduced set of tools without a snazzy interface?
    http://download.com.com/3000-2069-5964829.html?tag=lst-0-18
  • Options
    Re: thanks for helping
    Originally posted by The Pendari Champion

Eg how do i know my GNU C++ compiler isn't going to hi-jack my machine...or am i just paranoid??
    Well, you could say this about any freeware or shareware (and even some operating systems are getting a bit big brother like. *cough coughwindowscough cough* But if the site has its own domain name, or the software has its own domain name, and is well put together, then that's a good sign. Search on the net for reviews of the software, and see what they say.
    Sometimes there is a trade off, such as using the GoZilla downloader wich has adware bundled with it, I reckon the software is good, and worth having the intrusion, it's also a very well known piece of software, and works well.
    As far as I know, the DevC++ compiler is free of any such anoyances, and is made by a bunch of enthusiasts. Give it a go.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options

My learned friend is right when he says, effectivly, you can't. He's also mostly right when he says that the risk is the same for any peice of software you put onto your system, but not quite.

As its part of the GNU you can actually go and look at the source code that "built" the program, so if you had the time and patience you could find out exactly what it does, and find out that it does nothing untoward to your system.

Even better than this, hundreds of other people can go and look aswell, so even if you cannot find out if its mal-ware or not, other people can, and if it is you can bet they've told a lot of other people about it.

Yes like java a lot, and possibly the least readable language to program in.

to name but two : ForTran and Assembly. If I was being picky i would mention machine code.... But anyone will tell you i'm never that picky.
  • Options
    C++

Okay, first time posting here. C++ is described as making an octopus by nailing 4 extra legs to a dog. It's not a great language.

Consider the evolution of "programming languages":

C
    C++
    Java
    C# .net

There will always be a market for C++ developers but it IS diminishING and those people coding it since Stroustrup's "Programming C++" first came out have a definite advantage over people just beginning.

Java is also in decline after Microsoft tried dropping it and made C# and also migrated all the Java base classes to C#.

My advice is learn a language that has a definite broad appeal and will be worth money. By all means learn C++, also consider open source toys for learning C++, like using Linux, since most C++ software I see these days is written for servers and not for desktops.

HTH
  • Options
    Re: C++
    Originally posted by Sancho Panza
    Okay, first time posting here. C++ is described as making an octopus by nailing 4 extra legs to a dog. It's not a great language.

Consider the evolution of "programming languages":

C
    C++
    Java
    C# .net

There will always be a market for C++ developers but it IS diminishING and those people coding it since Stroustrup's "Programming C++" first came out have a definite advantage over people just beginning.

Java is also in decline after Microsoft tried dropping it and made C# and also migrated all the Java base classes to C#.

My advice is learn a language that has a definite broad appeal and will be worth money. By all means learn C++, also consider open source toys for learning C++, like using Linux, since most C++ software I see these days is written for servers and not for desktops.

HTH

Have to say, I beg to differ. There will (for the forseeable future at least) be a market for C++ as long as 3D games continue to be developed, and as long as MS don't rule the world.

C++ is a difficult language, there's no denying it, but it is very, very powerful at the same time.

You could say that assembler is a waste of time, but what if you wanted to write software that interfaced directly with system hardware? Ok, with the advent of the Windows HAL that might be a moot point, but the fact remains that old languages aren't necessarily useless ones.

Most of the programming jobs I see advertised are for VB and C++ programmers, rather than for C#.

Your "evolution" of languages isn't accurate, as MS developed C# (forgive my cynicism here) because they didn't like the fact that Sun could keep control of Java. Java is still one of the best Enterprise-level languages around, because of its robustness and, in the main, because it allows developers to create distributed applications (using the RMI and Enterprise JavaBeans) with relative ease.

Whilst architectures like CORBA and COM+ are good for distributed development, they aren't as tightly integrated with programming languages as RMI and EJB are with Java (for obvious reasons). This is starting to change with .NET, in the main because MS want almost exclusive control over Windows application development. Even so, the enterprising people at Borland have created Delphi 7, which is capable of utilising the .NET framework without relying on Microsoft's programming "rules".

I'd say that there isn't any harm in learning C++. After all, if you learn C++, you'll be able to pick up C, Java and C# relatively easily. Plus, you'll have a very strong skill set when it comes to programming jobs (assuming that that's what you want in the long run). Perhaps you could try learning other languages and programming architectures too, to supplement C++, on which many later architectures are based (including web scripting languages like PHP).

Just my £0.02.

CD
  • Options
    Re: Re: C++
    Originally posted by CodeDragon
    ...MS developed C#...

I pronounce it "See Hash" :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: C++
    Originally posted by Pugwash69

I pronounce it "See Hash" :D

You'd be amazed how many MS merchandisers get annoyed when you say that. "No, it's C Sharp... You hear? C Sharp. Like in music..." and so on. :D

I think that someone should create a language call C Flat (can't do the flat symbol. Looks like a squashed 'b' - Cb ).

CD
  • Options
    Visual Basic has only become so popular because of Microsoft pushing it, so it wouldn't surprise me if C# becomes as popular.
    I reckon learning C++ is still the best thing to do. It's an awkward, yet powerful language, and good where programs are needed to run fast. If you know C++, it always makes people pay attention as it's seen as a serious language.
    As has been pointed out, most ads seem to want Visual Basic, or C++. Visual Basic for when speed isn't critical, yet fast development times are. And C++ for when fast programs and/or an Object Orientated approach is needed.
    I'm still pushing ahead with C++, then I can learn Java, VB, etc later.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Code dragon is right, i do want to work in the programming field, with games development.

I would have to agree with you people who say that it is a worth-while language to learn. If you apply for any coding job, they normally require C++, Java, VB or a combinating including C++

I'm just really pissed off with my cs degree, it's going at a lame pace. I've done all the java, and that was it for the first year (including some systems analysis and design etc). I seem to be ending up like all the students that do no work, and are in the course for the hope of a super high paid job. You know, the ones who cannot even cope with the work, but are placed in a group with you, and you have no choice but to do all the coding yourself or fail. When you try to teach them how to code, they just start to forget to turn up to our meetings for weeks at a time.

The CS geeks have been coding since they were 8, and i've only just got into it about a year before i started my degree (I was originally going to be an electronics person, then i saw the light) The thing that really gets me, is I can give these cs geeks a run for their money when it came to java (they sort of knew it, from when they were 16, i learnt it from scratch and would be there to help them out with their linked lists dying, or their arrays not adding up)

Although i'll admit that i've been a school geek for years, i've just never been a computer geek, and i have to start from scratch.

To help me, i have 3 linux distros, a bunch of compilers and online guides, and a few weeks/months of sleepless nights. JOY for me

Sorry about the rant, but I've just formatted a windows partition that i wanted to keep, and i think Mandrake linux is beyond me. got through the installion, then i had no idea what to do or how, couldn't even manage a LAN access after about 6 hours of trying(well at least it was a spare old 133Mz, and not my gaming machine). I'll have to talk to my bestest friend who knows linux, in the morning.
  • Options
    I completed my degree in 1993, and to be honest the languages we learnt on the course were irrelevant. Modula-2 mainly, some Lisp, C, 386 assembler plenty of unix and DOS access.
    I started work programming in something called Revelation Basic G2B - database orientated mish mash of Basic really. I still do work in this quite often supporting the DOS software.
    I taught myself Pascal, VBScript, Javascript, HTML and anything else I've needed, as once you know how to program your skills aren't really language-specific.
    Oh and I was a geek programming my BBC B from 1985'ish too :)
  • Options
    Generally if you're looking for a development job and have a degree (i.e. you won't be doing MS stuff) its good to have a decent toolkit comprising of:
    An imperative language (pref. C)
    An oo language (pref. Java)
    A scripting language (pref. Perl)
    Pattern matching tools (pref. Sed/ Nawk)
    A database (pref Oracle)
    and no communication skills :)

But let's face it if you have a proper background and actually understand how a computer and a compiler work then it shouldn't take you more than 48 hours to learn any language.
  • Options
    Originally posted by snowdance

and no communication skills :)
    Damn it, that's where I'm going wrong on my course, they insist we learn communication skills. :(

it shouldn't take you more than 48 hours to learn any language.
    :eek: The basics of a language perhaps, but all the syntax, etc? Noooo way! :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The basics of a language perhaps, but all the syntax, etc? Noooo way! :(

My advice would be to never learn the syntax of a language it makes them too easy to confuse. Stick to knowing the semantics and buy a £10 manual.
  • Options
    I agree 48 hours to learn a language is a fool assumption, sure you can code in it, but it'll be neither efficient or idiomatic. Basically my CS degree didn't prepare me for anything I do now, we learn SQL, LISP, PROLOG, COBOL, C, OCCAM, Pascal, bsh, csh and M68800.

Also the current trend in scripty languages defies the "grammar" method of learning languages as in learning the basic types you take on complex data structures like associative arrays.

As for games written in C++, I know they exist, but most of the coders I know who coded games from "Paradroid" to the current UK stuff for the Play Station, all use C and have done for about 15 years. Only people I know who write games in C++ are so crap at managing memory that the applications leak more than a drunk essex girl in Ibiza.

Oh well that's as much as I can say on the matter of games. I don't play computer games and I wouldn't want to write them as there is precious little money to be made from it. Have fun
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sancho Panza
    I agree 48 hours to learn a language is a fool assumption, sure you can code in it, but it'll be neither efficient or idiomatic. Basically my CS degree didn't prepare me for anything I do now, we learn SQL, LISP, PROLOG, COBOL, C, OCCAM, Pascal, bsh, csh and M68800.

And obviously very little maths or general programming skills. There are a list of questions about any compiler/ interpreter that you can ask and have answered in 48 hours which will allow you to code clearly and efficiently. At Uni we were taught ML and C to give us basic understanding but then all examples were given in any one of a hundred languages from Ada to Z. This business of teaching langauges at degree level sickens me as does the general inequality between CS courses. I can't believe the number of 1st class students who know absolutely nothing about computer science but just about computers. I already had a masters and published work but I am forced to do a PhD to prove that I actually know what I'm talking about.

Fair enough if your degree didn't prepare you for your job but that was a weakness in the course. As I said the above applied if you have a "proper background and actually understand how a computer and a compiler work ".
  • Options
    The 'computer science' part of my degree included Modula-2 because it's strongly typed and very modular. C because they were gits :)
    Other than the numerical methods, 'advanced' graphics, assembler, microelectronics, combinatorial maths and cognitive psychology I did the 'Information Engineering' course.
    Lots of database, presentation and stuff that turned out to be ideal for my current job. I think the course assumed computer and programming ability, as the first term of the first year covered advanced programming.
  • Options
    Problem with mouse pointer (not dirt)

I've seem to have catched a bug or something, but my mouse has starting misbehaving and it's become a real pain trying to click on anything. The pointer will simply not go over clickable areas and I have to rattle the mouse in all directions for the bloody pointer to move into something. I have cleaned the mouse several times and I'm positive it's not dirty. Besides, the pointer only stops at the edge of clickable or active areas of the screen. Does anyone know how can I solve this?
  • Options
    Er... please disregard my last post. I meant to create a new thread... I don't know how I managed to attached it to this thread... :o
  • Options
    Your dirty mouse clicked the wrong button?
  • Options
    Re: C++
    Originally posted by The Pendari Champion

Anyways, is c++ programming like Java, simply write in a text file and compile it?

Sort of but Java is compiled and interpreted
  • Options
    Originally posted by snowdance

And obviously very little maths or general programming skills. There are a list of questions about any compiler/ interpreter that you can ask and have answered in 48 hours which will allow you to code clearly and efficiently.

This business of teaching langauges at degree level sickens me as does the general inequality between CS courses. I can't believe the number of 1st class students who know absolutely nothing about computer science but just about computers. I already had a masters and published work but I am forced to do a PhD to prove that I actually know what I'm talking about.

Fair enough if your degree didn't prepare you for your job but that was a weakness in the course. As I said the above applied if you have a "proper background and actually understand how a computer and a compiler work ".

I take great exception to most of this. It's assumptive, dismissive and self-promoting. It can be construed as an ad-hominem attack.

Firstly the thread is discussing languages, do you want me to discuss Z notation, EBNF, Compiler construction or go the other way and mention 8086 or RISK architecture? None of these are relevant here, or to my current job, yet my degree covered them and a lot more beside.

Anyone who thinks they can code well in a language within 48 hours, has spent very little time coding a different language every day. It's a mis-conception in the same fashion as saying that if you know Latin you are fluent in all Romance languages; A mistake frequently made by scolars.

I like to code really well in a language. For example: not using computer science techniques when there are libraries that do it faster and better (the compiler won't help you there) only time and an interest in the language will.

As for my degree not preparing me; it didn't prepare me for managing managers, dealing with twits from Anderson Consulting, Venture Capitalists, Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise or small business law nor would I expect it to.