Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

nose piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't really know where to post this but anyway...
I got my nose pierced 4 weeks ago and I just wanted to ask about the jewelry for when I change the stud.
The one I have in now, the one I had it pierced with, is made of titanium and is quite big compared to ones I would like to wear. I went round loads of piercing places but all the titanium ones seem to be quite big.
I've bought a couple of nose studs which are sterling silver and I'd like to wear them but I know it's not as good quality as titanium. How long should I leave it before I can wear ones made of silver? Would it increase the risk of infection or something? I'd really like to change it before I go back to school in a couple of weeks as if I wear a smaller stud they'll be more tolerant of it.

Thanks -x :cool:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dont u have to wait 6 weeks before changing studs. then u can wear whatever you want
    if it gets infected./ tough- its ya own fault
    yeah, I realise that, I was just asking about the different metals. I was told that I could wear whatever after 6 weeks but another piercer told me to wait 6 months before wearing anything but titanium! I wondered if anyone who had a nose piercing had any advice about it.
    sterling silver is super-good metals to have. i have very sensitive skin and sterling sliver is pretty much all i can wear in my holes. so thats a good choice, but whatever you wear, just clean it and the hole before you put it in and anything should be fine.
    it only matters what its made of if youve got sesitive skin. you could change it after 6 weeks and put another one in if it hurts or anything like that just change it.
    I have had a hole in my nose for over 4 years now and no-one told me about different metals. Mind you, I did get it done for a quid on the Bull Ring market, and it got infected and I kept getting nose bleeds for the first few months. Now I wear any old cheap crap, the 75p ones. Please explain about titanium etc.
    Yeah the 75p ones are usually sterling silver, they're just like earrings, sometimes they bend them for you into nose studs. I have a couple of them as they're much smaller and nicer but I don't know if it'll cause an infection.

Nowadays in most good piercing places they only pierce noses with titanium or in some cases, surgical steel. They're just better quality, more expensive metals which are less likely to cause a reaction. You're meant to wear titanium for as long as possible but all the studs are so big and I want to change mine to a silver one!
    I got mine in '91 and it's never been infected...getting the butterfly off the back of the first one was a bit of a bugger though.
    hi im not really clued up on nose rings but-
    does the butterfly go inside your nose, and if it does which i would imagine so, wouldnt it be awful if you dint put it on tight enough and you sneezed or someat like that and it went up ya nose. youd have to go to the docs and get it removed from ya nose
    luv lou
    Nowadays they shouldn't pierce with a stud with a butterfly on the back, instead they use like an earring shape thing which has a couple of bends on it to stop it falling out.

Louise13 - it would be pretty difficult for it to go up your nose but it did happen to one girl, the stud on the outside fell off and she sniffed the bar up her nose which killed her... one in a zillion chance of it happening though..
    still, i wouldnt wanna peirce my nose or anything else for that matter just in case