Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

whats wrong with me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
basically im always ill and down : to elaborate

* always feel crap
* just want to sleep all the time
* can never be bothered to do anything
* had enough blood tests to last life time - nothing wrong

if theres nowt wrong why do i feel so shit? i cry and cry over nothing so basically is it true - am i depressed?

Comments

• Options
    yes, sounds like classic depression to me, see your dr
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    yes, sounds like classic depression to me, see your dr

Please DO NOT diagnose people after reading a few sentences on a message board. It can often do a lot more harm than good if you're wrong. For example, I know three people with those symptoms - one of them has a mild form of depression, one of them has ME/post-viral syndrome, and one of them has a blood disorder.

Hippy, your sypmtoms are fairly non-specific, in other words they can have several different causes. Why not write down how you feel mentally and physically and take this list back to your doctor if you continue to feel unwell? You may need some more blood tests, there are loads of different ones, general and more specific. If you don't get on too well with your GP, you may feel more able to talk to a different GP at your local surgery.
  • Options
    I don`t think its depression.

My sister was like it a couple of years back..and guess what it was..she wasn`t drinking enough water!!
    Body was comparitively dehydrated,lacking energy etc,making her feel bad.

So...8 glasses a day of holy wine and you`ll be fine!!
  • Options
    how the hell do experts find that you have to drink 8 glasses of water per day!???!!
    that, for me anyway, is like totally impossible! i feel really uncomfortable when i drink too much water cos i get a bump on my stomach as im not used to it. i can go without water for 2 1/2 days without feeling dizzy or anything and even my throat doesnt feel dry. do that mean that the amount you drink varies from person to person??
    i realise this has nothing to do with the first post, but im just curious!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karla

Please DO NOT diagnose people after reading a few sentences on a message board. It can often do a lot more harm than good if you're wrong. For example, I know three people with those symptoms - one of them has a mild form of depression, one of them has ME/post-viral syndrome, and one of them has a blood disorder.

Ok i wont in future, but I did actually say thats what it sounds like `to me` and for her to see a doctor. I dont see whats wrong with saying that? I take it every post should have just one reply saying `no idea - could be anything ` which is basically true, we can only go by what people tell us, and if were not allowed to say what we think something sounds like, what is this forum for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by miss behavin
    how the hell do experts find that you have to drink 8 glasses of water per day!???!!
    that, for me anyway, is like totally impossible! i feel really uncomfortable when i drink too much water cos i get a bump on my stomach as im not used to it. i can go without water for 2 1/2 days without feeling dizzy or anything and even my throat doesnt feel dry. do that mean that the amount you drink varies from person to person??
    i realise this has nothing to do with the first post, but im just curious!

Well, I don't feel my body craving for water either. Hate drinking water, but apperently it is the best thing to do, if you want your body to function properly. So that's what I try doing at the moment.
    They say about 2 litres per day, and when it's really hot you should make calculations like 1 extra litre per 10 degrees.
  • Options
    Yesterday I drank around 6 litres.... and I did sod all exercise.

I'm still at slightly less than optimum hydration levels - your pee should be almsot colourless.
  • Options
    I think that your GP is the best person to talk about your syptoms with, it does sound to me like it MIGHT be depression but as others have mentioned it could be quite a few other things

As for going 2 days or more without water, that really isnt very good for you, the more water that you drink the better it is for your kidneys, without much its really hard for them to expell all the nasty toxins, by products etc that will build up.
    If your not a fan of water then drink something else, just make sure it hasnt got caffine in it otherwise you'll end up loosing more than you gain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think that your GP is the best person to talk about your syptoms with, it does sound to me like it MIGHT be depression but as others have mentioned it could be quite a few other things

As for going 2 days or more without water, that really isnt very good for you, the more water that you drink the better it is for your kidneys, without much its really hard for them to expell all the nasty toxins, by products etc that will build up.
    If your not a fan of water then drink something else, just make sure it hasnt got caffine in it otherwise you'll end up loosing more than you gain.

i cant try nething else as everything else has calories in it and im a freak when it comes to them. its not just that tho, i feel really uncomfy and bloated by drinking; i feel i cant win either way.:( :confused:
  • Options
    how about diet drinks or sugar free squash, they have hardly any calories in them at all. A lot of normal squashes have loads of calories though so you have to look on the label.
    As for feeling uncomfy and bloated by drinking - you dont have to drink a lot at a time, just sip throughout the day, and just try and increase the amount you drink gradually so you dont feel uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I thought it might be ME, especially if you are so tired, but as Karla said only a doctor can diagnose you.
  • Options
    how do they diagnose ME? does anyone know. She said shes had numerous blood tests which would suggest to me that its more likely to be a psychological problem, but im not a doctor so dont believe a word i say.
  • Options
    ME is not diagnosed through a bloodtest, I have a friend with ME.

The ony thing I could find at short notice was this:

net doctor
  • Options
    Well after reading that and then re-reading the original post, it doesnt sound much like ME. I still stand by what I originally said, as it sounds very much like what I felt like when I was depressed .Please bear in mind though that i`m not a doctor so I know nothing and please feel free to disregard what I say.
  • Options
    How are you doing? Hope you're a little better inside and out. Please take what i say lightly coz i'm not a dr this is just my opinion. I wonder if maybe you could be depressed but only a dr can diagnose that and sometimes physical problems can cause depression so its probably best to see your doc if your still feelin lousy. I have M.E, I've had it for 6 years, do you have any other symptoms other than those you mentioned? Lately I've also been quite depressed so whatever you might have i know you must be feelin awful. anyway as regards someone asking how M.E is diagnosed, i had loads of bloodtests and they were all fine so basically they just eliminate every other possible reason why you could be ill and then they can diagnose you once they've ruled everything else out. I think you have to have been feelin ill for at least 3 or 6 months as well. One dr said that depression can be linked with M.E so it might be worth seeing your doc and if hes no help try and find an understanding one. anyway i'd best go, hope you're doing as well as poss. It'd be good to hear how you're doing. lots of love Crazylady:)
  • Options
    I have ME too, and basically they test for everything else, and if they don't come up with anything else, the look at the criteria for ME - it's a list of about 3 main symptoms, and lots of other littler ones. You have to have had two of the three main symptoms and about 5 (of a list of about 30) of the littler symptoms, for over 3 months to be diagnosed. The problem with ME is that there are so many different symptoms, and no cast iron way of diagnosing it, because it's a neurological disorder. Also, as Crazylady said, ME and depression do go hand in hand - you get ME and become depressed because you can't do anything, which in turn makes your ME worse. If i were you, i'd go to the doctor, and ask if it could be ME/CFS/CFIDS (all names for the same thing), because the faster you get it diagnosed, if it is that, the more likely it is that you will recover faster.
  • Options
    I have had M.E for 7 years now and STILL experince new and sometimes weird symptons. Other symptons constantly come and go and im sure the others with m.E here would agree that if its not one thing its another......The full range of symptons is vast and not every sufferer will nessicerly have all the symptons at one time. Also there is diffrent serveritys of this illness and the onset of this illness may be different person to person, some severe others mild or gradual.
    It could be mistaken for depression - The important thing is that many of the symptons can Shadow other things too, so thorough testing is needed to outrule other things. Even when i still get new symptons i check with my dr . I know I havent really added anything that already hasn't been said in this thread, but hope you get to the bottom of it soon! and keep on at the dr's! if ur not happy, see another dr!
  • Options
    How's things? I've been thinking: most of us have been relatively negative about our ideas on what could be wrong with you and if i were you i think the thought of having some of these things ecs. if i didnt know much about them could upset me more and make me more down and negative. So please remember that it could be something that a dr could treat quite easily and you could soon be feelin quite a lot better. You will get through this, even if it's not easy, you'll get there in the end! Also like someone said earlier if it was M.E the sooner it's diagnosed the more likely you are to make a fuller recovery. So i think it would be worth seein your doc again and then now he's done lots of bloodtests to rule things out he might be able to diagnose you and help you. Like i said before if he's not a lot of help or if you're not happy with what he says it might be worth going to another dr, maybe a different GP at your practice, coz I've learnt from experience that some drs are far more helpful and understanding than others ecs. when your problem might be something that can't just be diagnosed with a straight forward test. I really hope things work out and that you get to the bottom of this. Also, i just wondered has anyone got any practical ideas on how to cope with M.E or depression? I look forward to hearing them if you have. xxx. :)
  • Options
    Have you had a sugar test done? My friend has a sugar problem and gets similar symptons.

But like everyone's already said, tiredness, depression etc. can be caused by a number of things.

You actually beat me to it by posting this as i was about to post something similar myself.
    For the past 1 1/2 yrs i've suffered from bouts of tiredness and fuzzy head. I get a cracking headache, feel sick and don't particuarly want to move. It lasts for about a week and then eases off. I have more catnaps then my grandma :)

I've been to the doctor three times and told them what's happening but i get told each time that it's a virus. Which i'm sorry but it isn't. I've got to the point where i'm thinking of changing doctors as i feel like the doctors thinks i'm a waste of space. They wouldn't even help out and do blood tests or anything and just fobbed me off.
  • Options
    Hi Hippychick, just wondered how you are, i really hope things are a little better for you. It'd be good to hear how you're doing, I'm just a bit worried whether you're ok. Take care. Lots of love CL xxxxx. *hugs*
  • Options
    Re: whats wrong with me?
    Originally posted by Hippy Chick

if theres nowt wrong why do i feel so shit? i cry and cry over nothing so basically is it true - am i depressed?

Exactly so there must be something wrong. If you feel like shit, cry, cant be bothered to do stuff etc theres something not right.

Have you had any problems lately? Boyfriend troubles, family troubles, weight problems anything at all that you can think of which could be sub consiously(sp?) affecting you?
    As people have said you do show symptoms of depression, but as already said no1 here are doctors.

Crazy lady I have had post natal depression in the past and was taking anti depressants ( no they were not addictive, like some people think) they didnt work straight away, they normally take a couple of months to get into the system. I found it helped just talking to my nurse. I wasnt eating, I only drank tea or coffee and that was it. So I had to make myself eat small amounts often. I never used to want to go out, but as I was starting to get better I made a point of going out. I also let family and close friends know what was going on because someone who is depressed can sometimes be quite snappy with people (un-intentional) and I told them just purely so they could understand sometimes I wasnt my normal self. But the best thing for me was the talking to the nurse, I knew I could tell her anything and she wouldnt judge me, and anything I said to her was confidential. And im pleased to say im better now :D
  • Options
    BeckyBoo, thanks so much for your advice (I didn't think anyone was going to answer my question so a big thank you!!) I'm so glad you're better now. Do you mind me asking... how long were you on antidepressants or do you have to stay on them? Did you find it hard to go out to begin with? Were you're family and friends understanding? Thank you once again. Take care. Lots of love, xxxxx.:)