Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Re-marks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is anyone gonna get any of their papers re-marked, or what are some people's experiences with re-marks??

My situation is that, having partly expected to get an A in my Politics A-levels, I've ended up with a low B. Out of the 3 papers, I did very well in one, and poorly in the first two. I took the exam papers after the exams, had another look at them this morning, and I just can't believe that I did that badly in those 2 papers. That may sound arrogant, but I really can't believe it. Out of all the exams I took, they were probably 2 of the ones I was most confident on.

I've decided to get a photocopy of each script first, have a look at them and if I still think something's gone wrong I might get them re-marked. Has anyone else ever experienced any significant problems, where they've been undermarked by a lot before?? I guess it's unlikely anything's gonna change, but I think I'd feel a lot better knowing that definately no mistake was made. At the moment I'm just feeling shocked at how badly I did in those 2 papers (again, not trying to sound arrogant).

I don't know whether it's relevant or not, but the examining board is Edexcel :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Firstly well done: a 'B' is a good grade anyway.

As for the remark issue, I'd ask your teacher / school for any advise. I can only tell you my experiences in 1999 which, for a start, means I couldn't get photocopies of my papers, and so the rules may well have changed now.

In my case it was a serious grade drop which caused my request for a remark: I had been predicted a B in Latin and got an N. It actually came back as an N and it didn't affect my university choice in the end - a long story but I ended up in Cambridge.

- The grades can't go down as a result of a remark. So, if the remark were to come back as a C in your case, you would still have a B.
    - If you are thinking of Universities. The results will probably come too late to be much use (unless you apply during a gap-year). In my case, I think it was December by the time I heard.
    - Remarks aren't free. If the school is as suspicious as you are, they might pay or else they might ask you to fork out.
    - Check when the deadline for requesting a remark is. In my case I think it was the start of September but now you have access to the scripts that may be different.

As I say, that's what I learnt in 1999 and things may be different, so get on to your school and ask. If you can't get hold of anyone there tomorrow, it may be worth trying next week when the GCSEs come out.

Anyway, best of luck. If there's anything else I can help with, do message me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by m0blf

- The grades can't go down as a result of a remark. So, if the remark were to come back as a C in your case, you would still have a B.

Important: This is no longer true

They recently (last year I think) changed the rules so that you can go down after a remark at A-level. Be careful; your low B could turn into a C if your remarker is harsh.
  • Options
    IT CAN GO DOWN!!!!

I have the same problem. I got B in accounting but i got fullish marks in two but a U in the first paper. This seems odd seeming as though the first two papers were management accountign and taken the same day one after the other. How can i get the two extremes????????

I got into my uni so im keeping quiet but theres something inconsistent there plus i read the exam boards have been guessing marks.
  • Options
    Oh and in january my college got loads of ICT papers re-marked. They all came back the same mark. The reason i know this next bit is becuase my ICT teacher told me secretly that the same person had re-marked them thus they're hardly likely to markt their own marks wrong are they?
  • Options
    That's not right. We had some Law papers sent back in January and they remarked them all and every paper came back higher. Some from grades C to grades A, not little jumps either. Consequently, they remarked the whole college's law papers with the guarantee that the papers could not go down. I went up 10 marks. AQA admitted that the person that had marked them in the first place was inexperienced and that they had been remarked by an experienced examiner. Scary still though..
  • Options
    I know it's not right but theres no alot they could do. Also they lost some papers forour college (not mine but my friends) and they randomly gave out grades.........My mate was an A grader and got a B, another A got an E and a friend who was lucky to pas got an A/B. They got told that these marks were estimated and that they were free to re-do the exams but they had to pay for it!