Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Freedom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was listening to a Radio programme yesterday where they interviewed a man who was researching peoples perceptions of what constitutes "freedom".

In a US survey (1400 people) only 14 suggested that "democracy" was a symbol of their freedom.

SO my question is in two parts:

1. How do you define "freedom"?

and

2. When do you feel most "free"?

*note to Thanatos etc...no-one [apparently] mentioned guns* ;) I must admit that surprised me a little.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Have a major lack a sleep, so excuse me if it sounds like pure rembling. But I'll give it a try anyways...

Freedom is choices.
    Freedom isn't always about running of to some spanish island and forgetting the world, if I want to do that tomorrow. Could be nice though.
    But freedom is also part of commitments. Commitments and choices you make, to build yourself a life as you please it to be. Probably just the feeling, that you have a say of what is happening in your life, and that if you don't like the route you are at, then you can change it.

2. When do you feel most "free"?
    When I am home in Denmark... Watching the news, seeing what I am lucky to "miss out" on. Talking with family and relatives, who have just seen a bomb blowing of, in front of their eyes. And hearing how they are staying in, and barely make it to the grocery store. Sad, but still makes me feel free.
    And as much as I hate doing it, just hearing my mom asking me to buy some stuff for her, probably makes me realise that I am free. Under other circumstances, she wouldn't ask me to do that.

And the fact that I am able to write this also shows how priviliged I am... That I don't have to fear of giving in my opinion.
    Freedom is the choice to do as you please... anarchy in the extreme sense. However, as freedom is also, to me, to be able to go about life unhassled by others, there must be some kind of sacrifice in freedom so laws can be introduced to stop others taking away your freedom.
    So I guess that freedom is to be able to do as you please as long as it does not have an adverse effect on others.

I feel most free either when inside a club, where I can do/act pretty much as I please. But I also get a sense of freedom when I lie in a park on a beautiful sunny day.
    Freedom is the opportunity to make choices and take responsibility for your own life.

divorce :D
    None of us are truly free until we find an island somewhere and don't have to pay taxes or support a government....
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    None of us are truly free until we find an island somewhere and don't have to pay taxes or support a government....

Then we'll also have freedom from health care, freedom from education, freedom from defence, freedom from social security and pensions... :rolleyes:
    it depends how you look at it. But there'll be people who propose that what you said isn't freedom at all because we are still bound by the rules and laws of society.

Why do you think you get people in the USA trying to break away from federal law and settlements all over the world full of people who don't want to be controlled by central government?
    SCARY! :eek: I agree with Vox ;)

So yes, we do pay tax, and we have rules to follow. But we have the democracy, which makes us set those rules, if we are numbered enough to do so.

Personally, I wouldn't concider myself free sitting alone and isolated on an island.
    Originally posted by WhoWhere
    Why do you think you get people in the USA trying to break away from federal law and settlements all over the world full of people who don't want to be controlled by central government?

Can I ask if you are thinking of any groups in particular?
    Cause what comes to mind, when I think of settlements in the above sentence, are sects... But maybe I am wrong, so please do explain.
    Freedom is the ability to do whatever the hell you want just so long as it doesnt adversely effect other people.

We are not free in the west.
    Freedom from or freedom to?
    Originally posted by MacKenZie

Exactly what I was thinking after I had posted my last reply.

I wondered when that question would arise, because it was brought up in the discussion I was listening too...

Freedom can mean many things, freedom from poverty or famine, freedom to choose etc

It isn't just a matter of one over the other.
    Freedom is certainly a broad word, and pretty much everyone could use it for their own ends. Not that long ago the Conservative Party used the word 'freedom' a lot. This might strike to some as bizarre; right-wing parties don't embrace freedom too often. But of course, what the Tories meant was freedom to make as much money as possible, and not get taxed for it. Some freedom.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Freedom is certainly a broad word, and pretty much everyone could use it for their own ends. Not that long ago the Conservative Party used the word 'freedom' a lot. This might strike to some as bizarre; right-wing parties don't embrace freedom too often. But of course, what the Tories meant was freedom to make as much money as possible, and not get taxed for it. Some freedom.

The Tories traditionally believe in economic freedom. Is that not liberty? The ability to employ people, make profits, etc.?

One could argue that taxation is theft (from the government). Why can't a person be 'free' to keep all of their earnings and spend it as they see fit?

In other words, positive freedom or negative freedom.

The former relates the freedom to better oneself and the latter means the freedom to live without coercion. Traditionally leftists believe in positive freedom and right-wingers in negative freedom.
    I generally define freedom as the ability to live, think and behave freely.

However there must be limits and responsibilites connected with liberty; for everybody to experience freedom this must be paramount.
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Are you an anarcho-capitalist by any chance? :)

And Vox populi, seriously why not? If not all of the traditional functions of the state could be privatised. I'm not an anarchist myself, nonetheless the idea (let us say) intrigues me.
    It's generally best to let old threads die peacefully, onenatcons. If you feel strongly about something in it, feel free to start a new thread on the topic.