Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nasty Smear Tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know ym doctors a doctor and all but i had a smear test in May (im 18) and i went to update my pill today and she said are they up to date? I was like well yeahhhhhhhh! Then she said oh you shouldn't have one till your 21.........WTF? Is she right? and if so how often after that?

The only reason i had it done (embarrasing and all) is due to family cancer scares and it was more of a precaution. I almost said that to her but i felt dumb enough at the time. Anyone help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought they were meant to be done from the age of 18, or if a person has been sexually active for a year. :confused:

I found this to be a good website and there it said 18. :)
    Thats what i thought...........she got me all confused!
    I think your doctor's mistaken! That's not really very good advice!
    Anyone who is sexually active should have a smear, and then usually every 3 years, though it does depend on the area you live in - some health trusts say every 5 years.

They're not exactly the most comfortable of experiences (spotlight, stirrups!) but you've done the right thing by going!
    Well im covered till im 21 so it doesn't really matter. When i went there were no stirrups. I literally had my knees up my my neck........uncomfortable but it's done!
    I have never had one.

Can someone explain what actually happens for me?!
    QUOTE]Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I have never had one.

Can someone explain what actually happens for me?!
    [/QUOTE]

Firstly, I got told that you are meant to have your first pap smear either when you reach 18 or start being sexually active, it is then every two years after that.

Okay Dokey, your question. I will explain what happens when I go to have one (it will be a different experience for everyone).

I first have to strip from my waist down and hop up onto the bed. I am allowed to have a sheet over my waist to preserve some modesty :o

The doctor will then do a pelvic examination using their fingers inside you to check that everything feels alright. Then it is time....You will have a small instrument (can't remember it's name) inserted into you. This opens up once inserted and widens your cervix to enable the doctor to get a scraping. The ones used on me have always been metal and if the doctor is nice they will run it under some warm water to warm it up, otherwise it can be chilly. The doctor will then take a scraping of the cervix which feels a little tickly. It is then over. The instrument they use doesn't hurt so much as feels uncomfortable.

I normally get a breast exam while I am at it, to make sure that all is okay up top as well.

Hope this has helped ;)
    smear tests

Susie :)