Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's the most ill you've ever been?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering.... :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Last December:

Got some virus, first week vomiting second week could eat due to throat so swollen that drinking and breathing was difficult. Got Quaranteed for a month, confined to bed for a week, put on a double course of "military grade" penicillin for 2 weeks, had urine tests to see if it had gone one to break down heart and liver tissue (it didn't) and got banned from sport for a few months (although I went skiing gently for a few half days after a few weeks - it was christmas and I was in a place full of snow goddamit)
    A few years ago...

Caught listeria on my Duke of Edingburgh Gold Award trek, then in my weakened state contracted salmonela pretty much straight afterwards... shat and puked myself for about 2 weeks all in all. Couldnt eat anything to starve the bugs... weak squash was my best friend... NOT

Lost about 3 1/2 stone...

But recovered now and fit, healthy and thankfully got my muscles back!
    but the most painfull illness was when I somehow got Cystitis.... damn I was crying in pain and it lasted 2 days... couldnt even sit up and had to call the doctors out to my house...

I can see all you women that get this all the time sniggering... it's worse when bloke gets it ... so the doctor told me... :mad:
    Originally posted by SimonKingpin

I can see all you women that get this all the time sniggering... it's worse when bloke gets it ... so the doctor told me... :mad:

Owch! :eek: I used to get it really badly too! :o I sympathise!
    *Hydronephrosis

*Septicemia

*Salmonella

Thats the worst i think :)
    Baby, you have asked a very personal question about peoples health, the best thing to do is to tell us what your worst illness has ever been in your initial post too. :)
    The worst illness I ever had was when I was 15 years old. It was a really rare lung condition, and I was in intensive care for 3 weeks...and even given the last rites! I had chemotherapy and steroids (so my hair fell out), and I had to learn to walk again because I was bed bound for so long. :eek:

I am completely fine now though. :D
    I had a virus about 2 years ago. For the week before I was really ill, I couldnt eat and I was constantly thirsty. Then one night it just hit me. I was freezing and had a really high temperature and felt so sick and dizzy. I basically didnt move for a week apart from going to the doctors which exhausted me so much I slept for 20 hours! I had an awful sore throat with it. The doctor couldnt do anything though cos it was a virus so cant be treated.

*shudders at memory*
    I used to have really really bad period pains, every month I would pass out, or vomit, really bad case of the runs, etc When my doc examined me he said the pain I was having were like labour pains during the early stages of childbirth :eek: I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain thank heaven for epidurals! :D I don't know if it really was some illness I would say it just came with the package.

I also had glandular fever last year, set me back a year in college :(

But I would say I have been pretty lucky with my health :)
    When i was born 2 1/2 months premature and only weighed about 2lbs. i nearly died apparantly.:(
    When I was born I was really ill cos I was 6 weeks early as I was killing my mum and we would have both died so they just had to get me out so I was really ill then. Ive been in hospital about 4 times close to death when I was 2 from asthma attacks. Had whopping cough when I was 4 and that was very very bad. Had cystitis afew weeks back and that was awful two the pain :( Couldnt really get out of bed it hurt so much.
    Had sunstroke when I was about five and started hallucinating, which I can remember most clearly.

There were voices in my head telling me I had to take all of my bedroom furniture downstairs in the middle of the night. Weird and pretty scary.
    When I was 13 I caught mononucleosis (sp?) from my girlfriend (incidentally, put me off kissing girls for a long time). Whew....it was hell. I lost 20 pounds, for months I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being exhausted, slept eighteen hours a night. My liver was swollen to twice its normal size, combined with all the lost weight it made a nice bulge on one side of my abdomen.

And my parents still made me go to school!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I didn't miss one day of school the whole five months!!!! :mad:
    Blimey.. some nasty stuff. :(

I've been comparatively lucky - worst thing I've had was detached retinas, which led to a five-hour op on both of them and 10 weeks off work in pain with shit vision. Better than the alternative of going blind though. :)

Although they did say there's always a chance that detached retinas can detach again - joy.
    Last year in March I think I had a virus -
    I wasn't even able to describe the doctor what's wrong with me because my voice didn't work anymore - I wasn't able to speak for about one week :(
    I had a terrible sore throat and was nearly not able to breathe, eat or drink. And my circulation way nearly out of order - I was swooning at the doctor's practice :(
    Luckily it got better after about 5 days with the medicaments.
    when i was an ickle baby i had meningitis.....at 6 i had tonsilitus, whihc hurts like ...well it does, and appendicitis when i was 12. so not really bad stuph, but enough to ensure i dont want to go near a hospital again....tho the godamned on going anaemia means i have to. piddlepiss.

im also aware iv misspelled more or less every long word in the above paragraph. i dont care.
    ive never had a bad illness since i was a baby..and that was because me and my twin bro were born 6 weeks premature (i think) so as you can imagine we were pretty tiny, so had to be in intensive care for weeks....but ive never been in hospital since, so i guess im pretty lucky with my health.
    I've not really had anything serious (touch wood)
    But i've broke my leg and my arm before, and impetigo but thats about it.
    Well, heres mine.
    I'm kinda prone to tonsilitis, which is an utter bitch, but one time I was up at uni, and I thought it would be a sensible thing to not go to the doctors til I got home at the weekend. Well, lets just say, when my mum saw the state of my throat she called the emergency saturday type thing. The doctor bollocked at me (in that polite fashion :rolleyes: ) and I had to go to hospital to get my throat/tonsils drained. He stuck a needle in my throat, several times, and my fear of needles didn't help me at the time (my hand squirms everytime I hear someone talk about those needles they put in your hands when you have a drip, or whatever it is that they do). Anyway, my eyes were streaming and I was clenching the chair I was sitting in! So theres a lesson for ya!

:rolleyes:

And I've had cystitis too, thats also a bitch! I woke up in so much pain. I was at my boyfriends house, and he was already away to work. It was that sore I actually went and asked his mum for help! I don't know why I didn't actually just phone my mum! 'Cause I'm a silly moo obviously!:D Anyway, she was great about it, as expected 'cause she's nice!

Ok, I've gone on enough now!
    last year, i got really bad tonsilitus (cnt spell it) and i couldnt talk, walk or anything i was in hospital on drips for 2 months and went v.v.v thin it was nasty!
    ok... i get recurring cystitis, all the sodding time, and it's always really bad (so i sit there crying), but my worst illness was ME, which i got about two years ago, i had it badly for about 6months, i missed half of year 11, and i'm never actually gonna get rid of it, there's no cure, i still have a crappy immune system, cant do too much, get really bad muscle aches, and i've lost my photographic memory. Luckily my concentration has gone back up, and i'm not as tired all the time as i was. That's a fun disease to have, as it's not THAT well known and you have no physical symptoms - so some people think you're just skiving.
    Bladder infection which led to 'frank haematuria' which is basically apissing out blood and bits of my bladder. OUch. I thought my hosepipe would get blocked and then i'd drown in my own piss etc....
    Interesting topic er...well, im not taking the piss here but the worst ive had was tonsalitis or however you spell it..next up is the common cold...damn im so healthy! :)
    ok firstly, i think that Baby deserves the medal out of all of us for going through all of that. I just hope your better now hon xx

Here we go then..

My knee caps kept on disclocating since the age of 8 (whichis sorta common realy). So i had an operation on both of my knees, however one of them didn't work out as planned. So i had an another operation, which ab KILLED coz it wasn't exactly small the second time!

At the age of 13, i had my appendix out... ouuucchhhhh... fricking killed it did!

When i was also 13 i started having strokes/fits. They didn't find out the reason for them and still haven't, but i went in wheelchair loads of times, lost my speech, couldn't walk for a while coz one side of me would go lop sided so to say! And to top it all off i had amnesia.. didn't know my family, friends, house NOTHING. That was the most scary thing ive ever been through and it still affects me now coz i tend to forget things easily. Kinda like Susan on Neighbours - but im not back in the 60's!

There's loads of other stuff as well, but ill be here all night if start lol. However i count myself very lucky, my best friend died of a heart attack at he age of 16 :( Made me realise that im lucky to still be here and to live the life id planned for. Unlike she could do.

So for everyone whose ill, keep on smiling for the world, you'll be better soon and there's a whole life ahead of you to look forward to. It will only last for a while. Not forever ;)

:)

xxxxxxxx
    Cancer- went through a nasty operation (no, not that one! :) ) called RPLND - Retro Paratenilia Lymph Node Disection :crying:, followed by chemo therapy :yuck: (I feel for you Britney)!

I was in the hospital for a week with a tube up my you-know-what so that I could pee, and then had to return for a month for the chemo. I looked like Kojack when I went for holiday in Australia.

Worst part was after the RPLND, because they moved all my innards around, I couldn't take a dump for at least 2 1/2 weeks! :eek2:
    when i was about 13 i began having a really bad stitch like pain in my side. it was as though i was really out of shape and had run a marathon! it was the most excruciating pain ever...i was plagued with it for about 6 months until i finally went to the doc and he admitted me to hospital straight away to do numerous tests...it turned out to "an inflammation of the intercostal cartiladge" (sp). which the doctor described as growing pains! i was like ok...!
    then there was this one time last summer and i got my period and literally collapsed in Boots Chemist, hitting my head on the counter as i went down and then knocking myself out when i hit the ground!! i came to and thought i was fine but all of a sudden i was having the worst period cramps ever...like i couldnt move...and i was really hot, although i was sweating a cold sweat. it was the scariest experience of my life and i really thought i was dying. i still get really bad periods, which sucks but thats the joy of being a woman!
    other than that, im so healthy! anytime my family or friends have the flu its like im immune i never ever get sick! the only time i vomit is if i drink too much and make myself be sick to clear myself out, and i've never had the chickenpox even tho everyone else in my family has had it!
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    . . . and i've never had the chickenpox even tho everyone else in my family has had it!

Careful scarlettcloud! Chickenpox tends to be much worse if you get it as an adult. Have you been vaccinated?

Chicken Pox Info
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this board :) Well, and this site.

The worst thing ive had (and still have) Is crohn's disease. most people haven't heard of it, even though 1 in 1000 or so people get it. It's an inflammatory bowel disease, and is not nice. At all. Lol. Well actually it's not funny, but you can go to this site and find out more if you want: National Association For Crohn's and Colitis It took the doctors about a year to diagnose it, 6 months of which I was having high temperatures, feeling very tired, pain in my bowel etc. and not knowing what was wrong. Very annoying. They should really try to diagnose it quicker so there's not all that feeling unwell.

I had it when I was four in mouth, then it seemed to go away untll last year (I'm 15 now) And it's come back again. It's one of those annoying things that decides to come back when it wants and you have to get treated. I'm on steroids (not anabolic :rolleyes: ) and have an enteral feed (with a tube in my nose, going into my stomach) But, I should be better now, and stopping the feed next week and be back on full food (I hadn't eaten in 8 weeks until wednesday). It seems like I'm not properly better, although I should be...Oh well, I don't think anyone is reading this so I'll stop now.

Nice to meet u all :D
    You'd be surprised how many people read these posts wartom. I feel for you. Hang in there caus it's the only thing you can do anyway! Sounds like you are nearing the end of your treatment.

Where are you? UK?
    Yeah UK, Near Liverpool. I'm doin' alrite, don't worry about me :D It's just something else that keeps making me sick that I don't know what lol. Oh well, I'll be ok :D I hope...lol (gotta say that otherwise its tempting fate :nervous: