Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anger Management

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone got any hints, tips, ideas on managing anger? I've noticed over the past few months that my temper and anger have reached wholly unacceptable levels. Just today someone called me a queer and i just saw red and smacked the crap out of him. Yeah he was prick for saying it, but i'm gonna get myself into some serious trouble if i'm not careful, and he didn't really deserve what i dished out.

So anyone got any ideas? Thanx:)

Comments

• Options
    I get really angry sometimes and just flip. Maybe you should have anger mangemnet classes if things are that bad?
  • Options
    Mmmmmm, that idi cross my mind, but don't know where to find info on it, spose i could ask my doc. Feeling so shit right now, coz of losing it.
  • Options
    go and see your doctor. my ex boyfriend had problems with conroling his anger, and now he takes anger managment tablets. thats all i know though, except i think you can only get them if you're over 16!
  • Options
    Go to your doctor, they can sort you out with anger management classes. Its a problem you need to get sorted and going to the doctors is the best way to start.
  • Options
    my boyfriend needs anger management but wont admit it
  • Options
    Hi RS,

Admitting you've got a problem is a good start. Your GP needs to check you out for underlying problems (such as depression or hormone disturbances), then put you in touch with the right people - possibly someone who can help you work through why you get as angry as you do. Then you can work on strategies to help you feel more in control of your actions when you do get angry.
  • Options
    Well i certainly got the deprssion part Karla:) Manic and retro-active:) Thanks for the reply, means a lot my little poppet pie :D
  • Options
    Have been to Anger management classes myself & got a lot of it, those combined with age have mellowed myself a lot.

I never ever touched my GF but ended up scaring the crap out of her by taking my rage out on inanimate objects, have gone through no end of light switches in my house, thrown couches across rooms, even caved the roof in on my car when much younger in a fit of temper... Then you get even angrier with yourself for doing what you just did, so you hit something else! Vicious circle.

Used to think it was the drink as that’s when it mainly happened but kept off it for a while & incidents still happened. I am talking over a 10-year period with examples I have listed.

Came to a peak after the death of my mother in 96, about 3 years after that I went firstly to bereavement counselling then Anger management.

Was very sceptical before I went, but I went in an attempt to save my relationship. It is hard work, the process involved a lot of stripping away the layers & remembering well locked away bad memories of a crappy childhood.
    The best bits were when she would put a link in-between an event or a suggestion of why I felt like I did based on something that had happened in childhood, & it just felt like a period of enlightenment, someone finally helping me to make sense of it all.

Still have the odd moment when i feel "the red mist" building up in me, but have learnt to take a second to think about it & after think "phew glad i did"

Still have her number if your in the Hertfordshire area, £30 a session.
  • Options
    The most simple thing of all...breathing is great for controling yourself. breathe in for 10 seconds, hold it for a few seconds, and breathe out for 10 seconds or until you can feel all the breathe has gone totaly out of you. do this until youre calm again. this also helps me to get to sleep. hope it helps. also if someones around whose wiliing, a scalp massage is brilliant for it!
    Good luck 'n' keep Chillin!

Luv
    Char
    xxxxx:)