Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tattoos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey!
i just got a tattoo yesterday (yes i know im only 15) but anyway, does anyone know any tips on how to look after it etc and how long it should take for it to heal?
Thanx

Char
xxxxxx;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't know a thing about tattoos, but I am just curious and wondering what the motive and where the placement of it, is? :)
    ive always wanted one. its a little red english rose on my right hip. heehee
    :)
    my mate just had it done and hers it just beginning to scab and she was told the best thing for it, is to put vaseline on it! even though it makes it shiny!

i aint allowed a tatoo til i move out, your lucky! :)
    I was told to initially keep the tattoo out of direct sunlight, something to do with keeping the colours. So if you have the tattoo in an exposed part of your body dont go showing it off until the suns gone down ;)
    Youve just got to put vaseline on it until it heals over and try not to wear really tight clothes against it as this will irritate it and make it sore.
    I love tattoos! Just a had a new one too a few weeks back, it took 6hrs lol

The best thing to do is put savlon antiseptic cream on it twice a day for the first week and wash it twice daily too.

DO NOT pick the scabs when it starts, dont scratch it either because it will heal patchy, it will get very itchy and the best thing to do is to slap it instead of scatching !

Hope this helps :mad:
    It will start to itch like crazy soon! But what ever you do don't scratch it or pick the scabs off, because it will make it go patchy when its healed.
    I was told to wash mine on savalon spray which i did in the morning and before i went to bed, and when it was scabbing rub savlon cream in to it.
    Dont mess with it - like people said up above just let it heal and dont pick as it will go patchy!

You can get Tattoo healing cream called Puran - which is excellent and if you use from minute one is great as when I used it my tattoo didnt even scab!

Vaseline is ok but not the best as it keeps air away from it when it should be let to air. Vaseline is good if you want to go swimming or something but dont go into sea/pool water for the first week.

I personally hate savlon for anything... so I'm not best placed to comment on that...
    thinking of getting a self designed fairy on my lower back in the middle... is this the most painful place ever?! - ive heard rumours... plus does it hurt loads and loads and after for ages too? - how long does it take to heal usually?
    so many questions!! :)
    lower back isnt supposed to be that painful...i thought that too. it takes about 2 or 3 weeks to heal.it hurts like a cat scratching you over and over but its not bad!:)
    No its not the most painfull place ever - that accolade is reserved for the underneath of the upper arm, inside of the thigh, genitals etc...

If you do search on Tattoos there are a few threads where this is all discussed.

2 - 3 weeks is a good bet for healing if all goes well...

But mainly - if pain is stopping you from getting it then you should not be having it done - you should want it done so bad that you will be willing to put up with the pain - however great...
    The guy who tattoed me said the most painfull place is your toe and the least painful place is the genitals :p
    I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and when I got my tat on my lower back it hurt like hell. Then again my skin doesn't take ink well and he used a 3, going over the spine was the worst feeling. I have 2 tats and 2 piercings, I think I am done anyway. But once you start its so hard to stop :D.
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    The guy who tattoed me said the most painfull place is your toe and the least painful place is the genitals :p

Yeah... but it really hurts anywhere that organs are close to the skin (like over your kidneys) or where your bones are close to your skin (like the spine, and hips on slim people). And my tattooist reckoned the most painful place was on the sole of your foot, and my ex reckoned that the tattoo on his arse cheek didn't really hurt.