Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Period Pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently started getting really bad period pain, I've tried taking Ibuprofen but the pain is still there.
The pain keeps me awake for hours at night and I can't concentrate at school.
Is it worth going to the doctors about it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. :)
    Hi, have you tried using a hot water bottle or soaking in a hot bath, that usually works for me. If the pain still continues the doctor might be able to give you something i would imagine
    I got stuff from the doctor when I was younger, but have you tried feminax? It's a bit pricey and they're utter gits to swallow but they are v. good for period pain.
    It's definitely worth going to the docs.....if all else fails, the pill can help people with really bad period pain, it's definitely worth discussing!
    Agrees with Miss Quoted about feminax, Great painkiller and only one for me that works.
    Agree again! Feminax is the only painkiller that works for me too. Because it's designed especially for period pain, its stronger than other painkillers i think?
    I would def go to the docs, my doctor put me on some very strong painkillers which I reacted to and so he put me on the pill which has worked wonders! He also booked me in for a scan just to check that everything is ok.

Hope you are feeling better soon xxx:)
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll try Feminax before I go to the doctors. Ah well I don't have to worry for another month now anyway!
    Thanks again XxXx :)

And go_away, I hope everythings okay, with your scan I mean. :)
    I had the same problem and it got worse and worse. In the end no painkillers helped. My doctor sent me for a laparoscopy (a keyhole operation with a camera) and I had endometriosis. For more info have a look at the National Endometriosis Society website www.endo.org.uk. Don't mean to scare you but you gotta know these things. Its very common, one in ten women have it.
    Originally posted by go_away
    I would def go to the docs, my doctor put me on some very strong painkillers which I reacted to and so he put me on the pill which has worked wonders! He also booked me in for a scan just to check that everything is ok.

Hope you are feeling better soon xxx:)

Thats what my doctor did she said the best way to control periods is to go on the pill although it has made me very emotional.
    have you tried midol? seems to work for a lot of people. ive noticed since i went on birth control (about 6 months ago), that my periods are much less painful, almost dont bother me at all. sometimes it used to get so bad, id be in tears. i know what youre going through. i never saw a doctor, but i believe that would be a very good idea for you.
    I used to get horrendous period pain when i was younger. the doctor prescribed me mefenamic acid, which is quite a strong painkiller.
    hehehe *takes codeine for hers* I tried everything for mine, the pill, mefenamic acid, i had scans... you name it. Eventually, my doctor changed my pill (which really didn't help and just made me PMY-y for a month :rolleyes: ) and put me on Co-dydramol, which is really helping at the moment... i couldn't walk yesterday it was so bad (and always has been), went home, took a couple and it was better within half an hour. Talk to your doctor, they'll be able to help work out something to help.
    *hugs Nellyluva2.* We all get it hunny!
    Bastard period pain .....

Everyone suffers from period pain but some more than others. I have really light periods yet get really horrendous period pain with it which no-one can expain (except maybe I'm a wimp or have some disease that I don't know about). Anyway, the pill can work and does for many women. Personally though, I find that a combination of buscopan (a muscle relaxer) with either co-proxamol or co-codamol tends to do the trick. I'm lucky though and have a stepmother than used to work in a pharmacy and now in a hospital so drugs are quite easy to get hold of!!!

Much as I hate to tell you this excercise is also really good for the pain. It's a bastard to start with cos every single little movement hurts but once you get into it, it can really take the pain away, or at least give you other pain to think about.

Alternatively I sometimes lie on my bed and concentrate on tensing every single muscle and then relaxing it as a sort of relaxation technique.

Just a few suggestions for you there. Hope that at least one of them helps. If not though I would seriously advise that you go back to the docs.
    I'm not sure if i'm allowed to recommend particular therapies or anything so i apologise if i'm not but i've found homoeopathy extremely helpful for period pain and other complimentary therapies can be very helpful too. it might be worth seeing your doc just to check nothing's wrong if your worried though. hope you get it sorted coz it can be pretty awful cant it?! lots of love crazylady xxx.