Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Drugs why do you need it????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have never and would never even think about using drugs. Why do people use them?
Have any of you ever thought about your parents or family?
My brother has been takin drugs for many years and I now find out hes injecting!!!!!!!!!!!!! is he real or what?
My parents dont need this, neither do I.
As I said I know nothing about drugs but im very curious as to why people take tham then get addicted to heorin?
My brother has decided its time to stop and is currently going cold turkey what I would like to ask anyone is what do I need to know about this???? Bearing in mind he is staying with my parents who are elderly people.
I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me and give me any information at all I might need to know.
Thank you very much
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting questions!
    I have never and would never even think about using drugs. Why do people use them?

I wonder how old you are, ever considered; tobacco and/or alcohol? Only they are the biggest killer DRUGS, and are both more harmful than my fav = cannabis, which has never killed anyone!

I 'do' cannabis because it helps me relax, helps me focus on a particular task, it's social, it doesn't turn me into some moron wanting to punch people just because they look at me in a funny way (drink) etc.

Have any of you ever thought about your parents or family?

They have known for over 20 years, and have no problems with it – why should they? I don’t have any problems!
    My brother has been takin drugs for many years and I now find out hes injecting!!!!!!!!!!!!! is he real or what?

Only injected twice (speed), many years ago, with my girlfriend, who was a nurse - so everything was clean & safe. Personally, I think the time that you feel the need to insert a needle in yourself to get pleasure - you have gone too far.

It is not social, highly addictive, very dangerous and bloody stupid.

I would suggest you should have concerns about him - but please don't compare what he's doing to 'drugs in general'. It's like saying 'I don't like carrots, so I am not eating anything!’
    As I said I know nothing about drugs but im very curious as to why people take tham then get addicted to heorin?

By now you should be understanding there is BIG different between each drug and the effect they give, and one drug does not lead to another – that is a choice made by the person concerned (one hopes in most cases, after checking out the drug in question first) to try something different.

Even heroin isn’t a killer, it’s ‘bad-gear’ cut with something nasty, or ‘too pure’ street gear, leading to an over dose or dirty needles – that are the killers. However, it’s HIGHLY addictive and very difficult to kick on its own – but his problem is no worst than being addictive to alcohol.

He is ‘ill’ and needs help & support, maybe professional help.

Here's some links that maybe helpful, I wish you luck!

The Vaults of Erowid - drug database

Urban75 Magazine - drug section
    some answers !

Well i would like to start by saying that we take drugs because they make us feel fvcking excelent!
    Its the only reason really, cos they are nice!
    What your brother is going through you need to seek some professional advice, the national drugs helplne for example, I havnt got the link to hand but I am sure you could find the number on the net or from directory enquirys. It would be good to have a chat with them and find out what he is going through and what to expect.
    I can only guess as a drug taker what makes people go as far as injecting drugs, its a quest for a better buzz, something newer and better.
    Everyone starts off smoking a bit of weed and it does develop into harder drugs but it is down to the will of others, and where they are prepared to draw the line. I know this opinion will cause controversy, but I belive it to be true. I have taken drugs for the last 8 years, I am now 25 and started by smoking a joint and dont think i would have gone onto anything harder if I hadnt done that first.
    I am not saying that if you do smoke a joint it does lead to heroin addictiction, beacuse I havnt or would never consider injecting.
    But it is the circle of friends you do mix with that influences you and it takes a strong person to be individual and say no!
    People dont do the research into what they are taking because if they did they wouldnt take drugs, drink or smoke! As all are bad for your health but when the weekend comes everybody wants to let off steam and get wasted in there own ways.
    To summarize we do em cos they make us feel good but what i will say is that anyone considering it, is wise to look at the effects and downsides to them because there are many pluses and minuses! :cool:
    You do raise some interesting questions but it really isnt an issue that can be tackled all at the same time.
    'Drugs' are in no way one entity same as their users are not one type of person.
    Take for example heroin which sadly your brother has a problem, quite a few people take it for legitimate reasons, it is an excellent pain reliever and is used in hospitals quite a lot.
    However street use of heroin or diamorphine to give it its proper name is quite different, mainly because of the quality issue.
    I'd also recomend erowid.org as someone else has, they do have an excellent data base of information on many different chemcials and their uses.

As for my use of drugs, hmmm that is a tough one, personaly I think that changing ones mind set is a human quality that is inherant. No society in the history of cilisation has managed to rid itself of drugs and drug use.
    I have never taken any form of illegal drugs, nor have I smoked, although my mum regularly smokes Cannabis. Alcohol and cigarettes kill many more people because they are legal, and people drink and smoke because they can.
    I'm not in favour of legalising cannabis, and I also believe cigarettes should be banned. Cannabis hasn't killed anyone because it's not legal, but if it was, cigarette companies would grow cannabis and put in thousands of chemicals just like they do with cigarettes and make it addictive.
    Also, if cannabis was legalised, people who deal cannabis would deal much worse drugs, like heroin and cocaine.
    Re: some answers !
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    started by smoking a joint and dont think i would have gone onto anything harder if I hadnt done that first.

You don't think, but you don't know.

Fact is many start on harder drugs, before cannabis.

All the expert reports shows there is NO GATEWAY from cannabis to harder drugs, except the fact that they are available from the same source.

Seperate the line of supply and the gatway is closed, as in Holland (13th overall in the drug stalks in Europe, compared with Britain as number one!).

You think cannabis led you to harder drugs, but before cannabis, it you take; tobacco, alcohol or even Mother's milk - if so, why not blame them!

;)
    drugs

I take drugs for the same reason I go to an amusement park, play video games, flirt with chicks... because it's enjoyable and feels great. What more reason do you need? If someone wants to do something, it is their choice, not anyone elses. It is their body.

Yes, I think about my parents and friends which is why I do my homework on drugs and make sure I'm taking the necessary precautions where needed. I have never injected.. I don't like needles so I don't see that ever becomming a problem for me. But even if I could stand needles I still wouldn't shoot myself up because that is in my opinion one of the worst things you can do. I can get just as much enjoyment from pot or the occasional E. Heorine is a nasty nasty thing that shouldn't be fucked with. And putting shitloads of holes in your arm to get high is just fucking disgusting.

It is up to the individual to decide which drugs he takes if any. Someone who turns to heroine is either forced by his peers or has nothing to lose and doesn't give a shit about life anymore.
    Personaly I think that saying cannabis has never killed anyone is somewhat misleading, it is still really harmful for your lungs and no information is compiled as to how many people with lung cancer are puff smokers.

The reason that no one dies is not as someone mentioned above because it is illegal, quite the oposite.
    The reason cannabis does not lead to the dramatic deaths that sometimes come from heroin and the 'harder' drugs is because of the doseage curve.
    The difference between getting intoxicated and over dosing on cannabis is huge, I think about 1 to 40,000. In other words you would have to smoke 40000 spliffs at the same time to get anywhere near to killing your self.
    However the dosage curve with something like booze is quite steep and heroin its even steeper, thus the difference in the death rates.
    Also most overdoses from heroin come from the users not knowing the purity of the material they are using and therefore using the wrong amount.
    Re: Re: some answers !
    Originally posted by WHSpliff.net

You think cannabis led you to harder drugs, but before cannabis, it you take; tobacco, alcohol or even Mother's milk - if so, why not blame them!

;)

I can see your point but I think you are missing mine, I have a free mind to do what I like, but as I said before it is more of a social thing and cannabis is the first one that most people will try. And in those circles it does lead to further experimentation with different substances. But you are right if I was a tee-total non-smoker then that would probably have made things different for me. I am not saying you are wrong its just my side of things. It is down to the individual to let themselves be influenced and is not the cannabis I am blaming, biut was trying to put the point accross that once you start smoking you associate with different people and social environments where other substances are more widely available.
    Originally posted by Silverberg
    Alcohol and cigarettes kill many more people because they are legal, and people drink and smoke because they can.
    That is bullshit. I know that more people smoke weed than drink alcohol. Weed is available to anyone who wants it. Alcohol is much harder to get than alcohol for youngsters. I also know a few people that smoke weed opposed to drinking alcohol or smoking cigaretts. So I don't agree with this at all.
    Cannabis hasn't killed anyone because it's not legal, but if it was, cigarette companies would grow cannabis and put in thousands of chemicals just like they do with cigarettes and make it addictive.
    LOL. Funny isnt it? You'd think the illegal drugs would be the ones that kill people. So drugs have to be legal to kill people? ahh, Great! If they sold unpure marijuana people would grow their own. A lot already do and they will be more than glad to when it's legal. That I think is the reason why it wont ever be legal. They know that everyone will most likely grow their own therefore no profits for the companies. UNLESS they keep it pure and wrap em up for ya and sell them at a decent price.
    Also, if cannabis was legalised, people who deal cannabis would deal much worse drugs, like heroin and cocaine.
    Trust me, there are tons and tons of heroin and cocaine dealers already. That is not going to change anything. Perhaps the legalization of marijuana will draw people from the harder drugs because there is no risk associated and if it were at a decent price. But there is still going to be some people that just prefer those harder drugs.

CRAZYREDEYES, I agree with you that it can be an indirect gateway to harder drugs for some people. But everyone I know who smokes herb smoked cigaretts and drank beer first, which put them in that type of "drug-taking" environment like you say. So if anything is the gateway drug it is Cigaretts and Alcohol... they ARE still drugs even though they are legal. You can call marijuana a gateway drug, but you can't say that it is any more of a gateway than cigaretts or alcohol. You are overlooking the obvious.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    if cannabis was legalised, people who deal cannabis would deal much worse drugs, like heroin and cocaine.

By keeping cannabis illegal you are putting users in contact with dealers who often have a supply of many other, much harder drugs!
    Weekender Offender 
    i started drugs aged 15. i'm 50 next year and very fit and healthy,
    where my friends of the same age who enjoyed fags and beer and no ilegals are all fat and knackered.
    keep an eye on your parents and thier belongings. be understanding and patient. i have kicked every addiction going except..................fags. i cannot beat nicotene addiction.
    dont lend him any money. if you do you will be enabling him to carry on without facing up to the consequences of his actions.
    try narcotics annonymous. get him into a treatment centre if possible. all the best.
    I would firstly like to say thank you for having taken the time to reply to me, I really do appreciate it.
    Its the not knowing which is the hardest. I have not got a clue as to what my brother will be going through and because of my lack of knowledge I am more worried for my parents. The reason being what if he needs that fix, how far will he go to get his next fix??? how long is it going to last before he is more relaxed???
    I have known for some time he has used what I would call soft stuff but only very recently found out it is much harder stuff he`s using. Apparently he had his last injection on Friday and has since had medication from the doctor.
    Someone was curious as to my age, I am in my early 40`s, I do drink occasionally but can take it or leave it. I am a smoker so I can see the point which was made about nicotine, I am addicted to nicotine as I cannot stop smoking, however my actions are affecting only myself. I am not expecting anyone to have to keep awake all night because they are scared to sleep just in case I do something stupid. My brother chose to start of on soft drugs, he then chose to go onto harder drugs, my parents didnt chose to have him land at there house and expect them to help, I mean how can they help? after all there an older generation and just have not got the knowledge, basically like me all they know is what they seen in the media which is drugs are dangerous and very addictive, After that we are in the dark.
    I really do appreciate your help and have today been getting more information. Once again thank you for your help.
    all they know is what they seen in the media which is drugs are dangerous and very addictive

Excellant point about how people's atitudes are controlled by what they read in the media. And the generalisations that take place. All drugs are differant and scare stories are always in the newspapers about people dying of overdoses.
    People take drugs for lots of reasons and it is very hard for those who dont to understand why they do. I never understood and still dont understand why people smoke cigs, but i know why people smoke joints!
    Bopz :)
    well i'll go to the foot of our stairs.............i was about to say just that bops.
    Let's have a look at the figures for imported class. A drugs in 2001;
    An estimated 70 tonnes of heroin and cocaine and more than 100m ecstasy tablets, with a total street value of £6bn, were brought into the UK last year by organised gangs according to the National Criminal Intelligence Service (NCIS).

Not sure of deaths from heroin & cocaine, but it isn't massive - but with E's it was about a dozen in 2001, none directly linked to MDMA itself.

So, 100 MILLION pills = 12 deaths, compared to the tens of thousands that die from drink related problems!

The number of drug deaths in the USA, in a typical year are as follows;

Tobacco kills about 390,000.

Alcohol kills about 80,000.

Sidestream smoke from tobacco kills about 50,000.

Cocaine kills about 2,200.

Heroin kills about 2,000.

Aspirin kills about 2,000.

Marijuana kills 0.

There has never been a recorded death due to marijuana at any time in US history...........ever.

:eek:
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Personaly I think that saying cannabis has never killed anyone is somewhat misleading, it is still really harmful for your lungs and no information is compiled as to how many people with lung cancer are puff smokers.

That's what they will have us believe, however [shows he's a complete nerd on the subject], having done further homework, concerning the world's largest research project into cannabis & cancer and pleased to report:

BOSTON 30/1/97 (United Press Int’) – The US federal government has failed to make public its own 1994 study that undercuts its position that cannabis is carcinogenic – a $2 million [yes TWO million] study by the National Toxicology Programme.

The deputy director of the programme, John Bucher, said the STUDY FOUND ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF CANCER.

In fact, animals that received THC had FEWER cancers. Bucher denies his agency had been pressured to shelve the report; saying the delay in making it public was due to personnel shortage. [3 years!?!]

ANOTHER STUDY (the World’s largest) taking in 65,000 over 10 years and published by ‘Kaiser Permanente’ in 1997 said; “Relatively few adverse clinical effects from the CHRONIC use of cannabis has been documented in humans, the risks associated with cannabis smoking were lower than for tobacco smoking.”

I rest my case.

[would the government now please take the stand!]

:p
    I'm not going to argue that weed is deadly or something such as that, it would be pointless, thats not my point but I think the view that its totaly harmless is mis-leading. Any drug use does come with risks and people can have problems with anything really.
    People do have problems with weed, I remember when I was about 16 I smoked all the time, mashed my head whenever I could. I'd say I was addicted, its not always safe harmless fun, you've got to be careful about everything you do.

As for drug users in general, I dont think that anyones reasons are the same. I mean they range from people searching for some deeper meaning to people just wanting to blot out life.

I think drugs are fun however I do like to think that I use them for other reasons too. I have a chemical called 5-meo-dmt which is a really strong trippy drug. The 'high' really isnt very pleasant but its an experiance I could never have without a drug. Thats why I like it, it makes me see the world in a totaly different way.
    Agreed bongbudda, my point being that it is less harmful (and by miles) than tobacco or alcohol - or indeed any other 'street drug'.
    Mr McKigeon the pigeon

Ahh but WHSpliif....... Would you say its addictive or has any long term side effects or is any way detrimental?
    Well here are a few quotes from the UK's most recent report;

Isn’t cannabis addictive?
    FACT: Its dependence potential is substantially less than that of tobacco or alcohol.

What about health problems?
    FACT: The high use of cannabis is not associated with major health problems for the individual or society.

Does cannabis lead to hard drugs?
    FACT: The risks (if any) are small and less than those associated with the use of tobacco or alcohol.

**These FACTS are direct quotes from the ‘The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs’ report (March 2002), commissioned by the Home Office.

Not that that is new, much the same was said in the following reports:

The Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report (British colonial government) 1894

UK Royal Commission, The Wootton Report 1969

The Canadian LeDain Commission Report, 1970

USA's National Commission on Marijuana & Drug Abuse 1972

The Dutch Baan Commission 1972

Commission of the Australian Government 1977

USA's National Academy of Science Report 1982

Australian National Drug Strategy Committee 1994

Report of the Dutch Government 1995

The Report of the FCDA Europe 1997

- ALL these official government reports, based on all the expert advice have stated cannabis to be less harmful than tobacco & alcohol.

Problem is - the governments don't listen to the advice they have asked for, beggars belief!

:rolleyes:
    kELLY THE ELEPHANT

Thats very impressive !!!!

Didnt answer my question on your opinion tho.
    Re: kELLY THE ELEPHANT

Needless to say my opinion is in line with the experts, otherwise i wouldn't be on the legalisation campaign:p
    gifs

Hi mike have looked at your site and thought you might like this (not sure if this will work !)
    Cheers for that bud - i'll use that;)
    is it harmfull long term ?
    well i've been smokoing pot for 35yrs and i'm in fine shape thankyou...a little crazy maybe but i was before the weed.
    i like my alcohol but very rarely in large quanteties i know i cant spellit. see smoking damages your spelling.
    see smoking damages your spelling.

i've bein smoeking fur a year or so now and my spelings are purfect thankyou veri mutch
    its all a question of getting the worms out right, innit?

good consanoon, arseabold!

:D
    lmao
    if uv got kazaa download robin williams - marijuana [audio file]
    Duffy
    "officer pulls you over, youve rehearsed your line 'what seems to be the problem officer, what seems to be the problem' you wind down your window, big wall of columbian sun hits him in the face hes going 'im hungry n i dont know why' lmao

"he writes out a ticket, he hands it to you, you eat it, nooooooooo youre going to jail! and then wake up and you realize youre still on the couch at home" lmao