Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lip Balm Addiction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else have this? For several years now, I have to always have lip balm on me. I haven't used any for several hours now and my lips feel dry and painful. Someone told me that lips get addicted to balms, and you have to go "cold turkey" for a few days (during which they will crack and hurt!), but after that you won't need to use it all the time/ Is this true? I spend so much money on lip balms and am sick of it!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Lip Balm Addiction
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Someone told me that lips get addicted to balms, and you have to go "cold turkey" for a few days (during which they will crack and hurt!), but after that you won't need to use it all the time/ Is this true?

Well if you can bare with it for a few days i suppose the best thing to try is going cold turkey?

Also check out http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/ - the right hand collum; Lip Balm Anonymous :)

Hope it all works out,

FanBoy
    Wow, great link! Thanks!
    No problem :)

Wow i just read it in a bit more detail. They *are* really addictive!

Perhaps you could take it to court, the first LipBalm tribunal! ;)
    One of my ex-girfriends was forever applying vaseline to her lips in from one of those "pocket size tins" you can get... yes it keeps her lips soft but blimey its a total addiction. She will NOT stop using it for love nor money...

I suppose your lips can get addicted as the skin on them doesnt have to provide it own oils/moisture etc... or even that the lip baln prohibits the skin protecting itself (blocking pores or whatever) and that the cold turkey phase is your skin getting used to itself again.

I am lucky I suppose in the fact that I have soft lips that dont crack or anything (unless I am snowboarding or something and they get a little dry...)
    hmmm

i think i may have this. i go crazy if im at school and i find out theres no lip balm on me. it makes my lips feel really dry and horrible & i just cant stand it

how long does the cold turkey phase have to last for?
    I have this too, but I think I'm managing to slowly wean myself off the stuff. I still need to have some in my pocket when I leave the house, but I don't use it as much as I used to.

Sad really isn't it?
    But they taste so nice! ;)
    I think Im addicted to lip balm as well I just love the stuff. Im forever putting it on and I carry it every where I go.

Ah well keeps ya lips nice, soft and kissable ;) so it doesnt really bother me :)
    I'm completely the opposite, I barely ever use the stuff! All my friends carry it on them at all times, sometimes like 2 or 3 pots and are forever applying it but I can never be bothered as it just goes funny on my lips and makes them all look scummy after a while! Plus it's all greasy!
    Same, the only time ive used lip balm is when im on holiday, the balm with sun screen in to stop my lips getting burnt.
    I have the same thing with my eight-hour cream. I have to have it on me 24/7, just like my mobile.
    I also share this addiction!
    I can't go anywhere without my little tin of good ol' Vaseline:D