Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essex vs. Canterbury

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So, just got unconditional offers for a BSc in psychology at Uni of Essex in Colchester and Uni of Kent at Canterbury. Am far too lazy to work on my conditional offers, so it'll be one of these for autumn 2003 - but I need to decide pretty fast. Any of you attending either of these places? What are they like? Which would you choose and why? It seems Essex gets slightly better ratings for this study, but then again everyone keeps telling me Colchester's a dump... and they're both going to cost a fortune in fees. So - scenery, proximity to London, proximity to airports, part-time job market, atmosphere, anything you can tell me... I've never been to England, and have no idea where I want to live. Input - please?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't know anything about the kent uni, but the uni of essex is a great uni. i wasn't a student there but i went quite a lot cos my ex was studying there, still is. its got a huge campus, shops, 2 clubs and the S.U. bar. facilities are huge (library has 5 floors!). halls of residence are fine. huge tower blocks where u getta room in a flat or slightly better looking flats, but cost a bit more rent. as for the surrounding area, excellent countryside, river walks and olde worlde pubs in Wivenhoe, just a short walk. and Colchester itself! shoppaholic paradise when ur uni loan comes in..lol

decisions urs, as i said can't speak for kent uni :)
    I received offers from both universities, and consequently attended interviews and open days etc. Ultimately I chose Kent at Canterbury as my firm offer. Mainly because of departmental differences in the two unis, otherwise my nitpicking would confirm that the two are very similar. I don't know, I got a better vibe from Canterbury... if going on vibes helps at all...
    I don't know about the uni but I went to Canterbury last week and it was very nce- olden with cobbled streets and nice gift shops. But also packed with foreign tourists, claustophobically so. Maybe that's just in the summer though.
    Thanks, guys. I've also gotten a late offer from Durham University now... any input on that's good as well. As far as I understand accommodation stinks there, and I'd pay about £700 more than at Essex in tuition fees - but academic reputation seems good. Not sure if it's worth it though... and I like the other two's proximity to London. If anyone's been to open days (I can't afford all the travelling just to look at a uni) etc. I'd appreciate to get your opinions.
    uni of essex has that olde worlde feel too and the only forieners u'll see there are the other students. as for getting to london, couldn't be simpler. london liverpool street line to shenfield, change there for colchester north station. if i'd of gone to uni, i would have gone to essex.
    I live in Colchester and most of its really nice. the uni has a very good reputation, its a big campus with loads of stuff to do and loads of facilities. I dont know anything about canturbury though