Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetarianism- Right or misguided?

More and more people seem to be turning to vegetarianism. In certain segments of the population- for instance young women living in urban areas- the practice is so common they are about to outnumber 'meat-eaters'. Whilst some of these do it for health or taste reasons, a big proportion falls into the 'moral reasons' category. Is it really wrong to eat meat/fish?

I'm asking this in the aftermath of a recent visit to a breakfast place in Clapham Common, south London. They're very busy at weekends and lots of 'trendy' liberal people go there for a fry-up. But it turned out the place only offered vegetarian/vegan food. When I asked if they had real sausages (as opposed to Linda McCartney's fake ones) I was given the dirtiest of looks by the "meat-is-murder" brigade. Personally I think that we are all animals and part of the chain food and as long the animal is killed humanely (which, I admit, it's not always the case) there is nothing wrong whatsoever with eating meat or fish. I was just wondering if there are any veggies in here, and what their views are.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Youve forgotten one large group of veggies..Those that do it to be fashionable. There are a hell of a lot of those round here.

Its much harder to get a balanced diet from vegetarian stuff but if they can manage it then good luck to em. Unfortunately most vegetarians dont have a damn clue about nutrition or their own bodies and fuck everything up.

Im not a veggie, I need my protein too much for that...Like you, im happy being on top of the food chain and also like you, i want the animals to be killed humanely.

Im fine with vegetarians until they start getting all extremist and using the old insults. Same as every group, its all fun and games until they try and force their views on others.
  • Options
    Personally I believe them to be misguided, but don't comdemn them for it. I think you really covered the reasons for that belief.

Two words: Food chain
  • Options
    In the words of a famous doctor.... (ok, the one on south park) if you don't eat meat you turn into a big pussy. ;)
  • Options
    I have a friend who is a 'moral reason' vegetarian. The thing is he actually loves meat. He always says how difficult it is when he walks past a greasy spoon and gets a sniff of the bacon being cooked inside. Apparently he misses this dearly, but won't eat it out of principle... :(:confused:
  • Options

balddog
    Youve forgotten one large group of veggies..Those that do it to be fashionable. There are a hell of a lot of those round here.

These don't piss me off nearly as much as the "fashion lesbians".

But if they want to do it (vegetarians, not lesbians, but it applys to both i guess) they're more than welcome, as long as they don't try and move my posistion on the issue.

What i find even better (as in 'more amusing') are the people that don't eat meant for moral reasons, but are quite hapy to eat fish, or for that matter buy veggie meals from mcDonalds.

interesting Fact : Samuri around the 13th century would not eat meat, as it was seen as unclean, but they were more than happy to eat fish. No problem so far? They would also eat Whale meat, as they didn't make the distinction beween whales (mammals) and fish. Still not seeing a problem? Samuri liked to go out hunting, as it was a way of proving yourself without actually having to kill any-one, and obviously after a day hunting you damn well want to eat what you've killed... So they eat Boar, and this was OK, because the boar doesn't count as "meat", because the boar is "the whale of the mountains".

Amazing the reasons people will come up with for whatever they want to do being right and moral.
  • Options
    I didn't fight and claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat weeds!

Bring on the meat...porterhouse, T-bone, lamb chops, tuna...whatever...ladyparts probably don't count here...!

:D
  • Options
    I was vegetarian for 9 years, as my mum is vegetarian and a lot of my family, she never pushed it on me though and i converted a long time after she did. I did it because of moral reasons, although got less and less moral as i grew up, and now eat meat. I think a lot of the fake meat is very convincing, although some of it is gross, I dont see what peoples diets have got to do with politics though.
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyone ever seen a vegetarian lion ??????? No thought not, vegetarians put rational thought over instinct, which is stupidity at its most blatant, mis-guided is too kind. Another thing which bugs me, they seem to believe that if everyone stops eating meat then the animals won't be slaughtered ? Wrong, the animals are breed for the sole purpose of delivering our sunday roast, if the demand went, then the animals wouldn'nt even be breed in the first place, at least they get a life and those still wandering the fields would be slaughtered to get rid of them as the farmers would no longer have any reason to look after them. Basically veggies have no logic in what they do, by eating meat they give an animal a life, all be it a shortened one.
  • Options
    Well to be fair ebb, humans put rational thought over instinct pretty much all the time. Thats what sets us apart from the animals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Well to be fair ebb, humans put rational thought over instinct pretty much all the time. Thats what sets us apart from the animals.

No, rational thought is often an addition to instinct, we usually forget about instinct because its the very basic things we do in life, instinct is what allows us to survive, rational thought enhances beyond that, we do pretty much everything animals do and then some more.
  • Options
    Rational thought should be placed above instinct, in so many ways.

Instinct will tell you want you want to do, rational thought will tell you whether what you want to do is the correct course of action.

Panic is no longer a survival aid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Rational thought should be placed above instinct, in so many ways.

Instinct will tell you want you want to do, rational thought will tell you whether what you want to do is the correct course of action.

Panic is no longer a survival aid.

Panic on the face of it may not be a survival aid, but inside your body panic sets off allsorts of helpful reactions, adrenalin is released, energy is burned quicker, the heart beat is raised, your immune system leaps into action.

Don't knock instinct, its what keeps you and everyone else alive, I sat and watched my cat eat a mouse it had caught a few weeks back, it sat and ate the bloody lot except one tiny little piece which appeared to be a kidney, I have since learned it was its gall bladder, the only poisonus part of the mouse, only instict can explain why it left it, every raw emotion you posses is instinct.

Perhaps the one of the most obvious instinctive things we do is shag, now consider how much your life revolves around the ulitmate aim or having and successfully raising offspring, practically everything you do is vaguely linked to it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel
    I didn't fight and claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat weeds!

Bring on the meat!

:D

Yeah, baby.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    What gets me is that these vegetarians don't realise that cows and sheep etc wouldn't exist if wern't for us meat eaters. You'd have to go to the zoo to see a cow because they certainly arn't going to make good pets.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Humans were designed to eat meat simple as that you dont see any tiger/lions/monkeys(?) Saying how meat is murder.....ive just come back from a chinese restuarent i ate beef, chicken, pork, duck AND ribs. Also the meat counter at my local tescos smells gorgous:D
  • Options
    Wait, stop...I recant! I've figured it out...We're supposed to eat vegitarinas!

Thank goodness I got it right...! Yes, eat vegitarians...all of them1

Yum!

:p:D:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Wait, stop...I recant! I've figured it out...We're supposed to eat vegitarinas!

Thank goodness I got it right...! Yes, eat vegitarians...all of them1

Yum!

:p:D:p

Not alot of meat on the weedy fuckers though :(:D:(
  • Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Vegetarian is an American Indian word meaning "piss poor hunter"! I myself am a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals!

MMMMoooooooooooooo!!! Smash, slash, hang and bleed and gut, followed by slice and dice.......yummie cuts of steak covered with mushrooms and onions yummmmeeeeeee:D

MMMMMMMMoooooooooooooooo!!!! Repeat as needed
  • Options
    If meat is murder, then bring me a gun and I'll kill them myself.
    If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us incisors.
    If he wouldn't have wanted us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us the acids in our stomach that can digest it.

A few weeks ago I went on a night out, and feeling peckish we all went to McDonalds. I had a double quarter pounder, their biggest burger. I then proceeded to munch it all down, glancing at the girl next to me as she looked in horror. Sensing she was a veggie I removed it from my lips, and announced "KILL THE ANIMALS" then shoved the entire thing in my mouth :D
  • Options
    Whowhere you are a genius! Excellent bit of work there!
  • Options
    Well, so far we haven't had any vegetarians saying people shouldn't eat meat, but plenty of meat-eaters saying vegetarianism is wrong. This does kinda contradict what some (but not all) of you have said, i.e. that vegetarians try and force their diets and lifestyle on others. Hmm..........

By the way I think that people should have the right to choose what to put inside their own bodies and not have other people badmouthing them or trying to convert them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cornflake girl
    plenty of meat-eaters saying vegetarianism is wrong. This does kinda contradict what some (but not all) of you have said, i.e. that vegetarians try and force their diets and lifestyle on others. Hmm..........

I think our position is more that nature intended us to be meat eaters, rather than the concept being "wrong", nor do we suggest that people shouldn't choose.

We just don't agree, and we certainly aren't trying to convert veggies.
  • Options
    I can understand why people would want to be veggies, but they're mainly doing it for the moral reasons, thats all very nice, but we need meat in our diet. We have evolved with eating meat, and no matter how wrong you think it is, meat should be a part of our diet.
  • Options
    hey for once i agree with everybody. i'm two thirds vegatarian.....
    meat and two veg.
    all this fucking lifestyle shit is just that..........to much fucking telly and comfort. dont try to tell me theres any kind of frickin moral issue here. are the starving millions going to be told that eating meat is imoral.....i fuckin hope not.
    and if you vegtables got your way the fields around here...north wales...would be green but lifeless.
    if it moves.....get the fucker in the pan.
  • Options
    OK, everyone has the right to their opinions and views. Ergo, a vegetarian has the will to state that eating meat is 'ethically wrong'.

Nonetheless I would challenge that view by questioning any supposed 'unethical' or immoral aspect of eating meat.

Human beings are naturally omnivorous; we have ALWAYS eaten meat and plant based foods