Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fat people sue Fast Food Chains...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a fat bastard, who can I sue?

Who ever said that people don't take responsibility for their actions?
:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Gawd americans sue about anything Its those own peoples fault they decided to eat it. Personally i try to avoid fast food when im out it isnt very nice in my opinion. I try to get a sandwich or some pasta or something
  • Options
    Tis a crazy world in which we live, I read the article in the paper today and raised a smile, its just funny, either way I'm amused, if they fail as they should its funny, if Macdonalds get screwed out of millions well thats funny as well, let the games begin :D
  • Options
    if i smoke i decide to smoke, if i eat i decide to eat...
    why they eat that thing... they did not have to eat by force..
    this way to make is of unresponsibles and hypocritical persons
  • Options
    The disgusting trend that is suing everyone for everything has always been a lucrative business in the US. This really makes my blood boil although doesn't surprise me. I'm not friend of big corporations like McDonalds (they can go bankrupt tomorrow for all I care) but for those fat bastards to suggest they were not aware that eating 4 Big Macs a day makes you fat is simply ridiculous.

It's too bad cases like this go to court at all, let alone that the claimants might win. One particularly stupid case I remember is the woman who tripped on a toddler in a supermarket and fell, breaking an ankle. The woman successfully sued the supermarket for a six-figure sum, for allowing toddlers to crawl on the floor unsupervised. This despite the little fact that the kid was... her own fucking son!

I really hope we don't start going down the same avenue in Britain. If the woman above, for instance, was told to fuck right off by the police, or even given a 15-day jail sentence by the judge for taking the piss, we would not hear of new cases like this emerging.
  • Options
    Im going to sue thesite.org.uk for the emotional stress caused to me by the addictive nature of these forums. For the financial loss caused and for the mental anguish ive had to live through after reading the sex board.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im going to sue thesite.org.uk for the emotional stress caused to me by the addictive nature of these forums. For the financial loss caused and for the mental anguish ive had to live through after reading the sex board.
    :D:D
  • Options
    Thanatos posted some great examples of this a looooong time ago. A thread called the Stella awards or so (can't be bothered to search for it and post the link). The lawsuits in that thread, fit into the same category as this one in a stupidity scale, I would say.
  • Options
    Shakespeare seems to have been spot on ion his attitudes towards lawyers!;)
  • Options
    everyone has the final say over what happens to their body. this bullshit about blaming others for our own fuckups pisses me off. people who get fat off of fast food need to suck it up and deal with it, just the same as i dont think smokers who get lung cancer have a right to sue the tobacco companies.

my mum said she got fat after having me...so if i get fat after having kids, can i sue them?:p
  • Options
    I read about a girl who didn't get the A level grades her teachers had said she was capable of (anf put down on her personal statement form) and so she didn't get into Oxford. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "I always thought it was good for you. I never thought there was anything wrong with it," he said.

:rolleyes:
    "He must be aware that fully two-thirds of all foods consumed in America are consumed in people's homes. Is he proposing that we sue America's moms?" John Doyle of the Center for Consumer Freedom told ABC News.

He shouldn't put ideas in their heads!!
  • Options
    I heard about this on C4 news. The bloke sueing said that the fast-food chains knowingly sold him greasy, salty food, and didn't tell him they were greasy and salty. Surely he must have tasted it?!

I hope they lose.

The smokers who sued the tobacco complanies were sueing because originally the complanies denied the fact that smoking causes cancer, and I htink that that is a fair case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    He shouldn't put ideas in their heads!!

Scarily, that wouldnt surprise me. Not at all.

Damned Americans.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    I hope they lose.

I hope they win, but are fined twice the damages awarded for wasting the court's time.
  • Options
    I hope they, and any other people who file for ridiculous damages should recieve £1 in compensation, then fined £10,000,000 for damages when McDonalds launches its counter-claim.

*hates compensation culture with a passion*
  • Options
    Its very easy to make jokes about fat americans (and fun too) but this case isnt quite as simple as just stupid people getting fat.

McDonalds have for ages said that thier chips are fine for vegitarians, BUT it turns out that they fry them in beef fat. This is a case of the companies mis-selling their goods.

The layer who has taken on this case is the same one who started procedings for the smokers in the US and I heard him interviewed. He said that they knew it was harmful but that the fast food companies under stated the risks on purpose and therefore are guilty of mis-advertising.
    He sounded very inteligent and he did make some valid points;
    "cigerette companies cant come out with a healthy cigerette but fast food chains could make their meals better for people"

He has also had some success, McDollalds has already pleged $1m towards a ad campain warning people of the possible risks of eating at they restaurant too often. HMmm the US is quite wierd sometimes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Its very easy to make jokes about fat americans (and fun too) but this case isnt quite as simple as just stupid people getting fat.

No, its about people trying to make a quick buck without having to work for it.

It takes a certain kind of stupidity to believe that eating greasy, fatty food isn't going to affect your waistline.
    have for ages said that thier chips are fine for vegitarians, BUT it turns out that they fry them in beef fat. This is a case of the companies mis-selling their goods.

Entirely different story though, isn't it. One deliberately misled people, but none of these chains have ever said that nothing bad happens when you eat a burger. They just point out that it has positive effects too (such as proteins), you'll never hear them say "don't eat our products or you'll get fat"...

Besides the meat fat in the fries was more a case of misleeading religious groups opposed to certain meat products...
    who has taken on this case is the same one who started procedings for the smokers in the US

Figures...surely not a man looking to make a name for himself.
    food companies under stated the risks on purpose and therefore are guilty of mis-advertising.

Does any company actually publicise the downside of their products - effect on pollution, use of child labour etc?
    He sounded very inteligent and he did make some valid points;
    "cigerette companies cant come out with a healthy cigerette but fast food chains could make their meals better for people"

Has he ever heard of consumer choice, do you think. Surely the onus is also on the purchaser to accept atht fatty foods will make you fat, just like cigarettes may cause cancer.
    He has also had some success, McDollalds has already pleged $1m towards a ad campain warning people of the possible risks of eating at they restaurant too often. HMmm the US is quite wierd sometimes.

Partly becuase it would be cheaper than fight another frivolous lawsuit...
  • Options
    I’m in the process of suing:-

Smirnoff
    Silk Cut
    Cadburys
    Duffer

For MAKING me an alcoholic, stinky, chocoholic trendy dresser!

They are ALL responsible they made me.
    :p
  • Options
    How long till someone sues their parents for not brining them up to become a model citizen ? Not long I imagine.
  • Options
    When my nose drops off I shall sue my drug dealer for not warning me of the perils of charlie :p
  • Options
    I read about a girl who didn't get the A level grades her teachers had said she was capable of (anf put down on her personal statement form) and so she didn't get into Oxford.

If this is the girl who was predicted an A in Latin and got an E, apparently the school's Latin teacher left, so they got some random other teacher who had done O-Level Latin about 50 years ago to teach her, and told her he was fully qualified........ Or something......... Or maybe she was just being stupid. I'm not sure.