Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shin Splints

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Some basic infor really.

I know what they are and the main symptoms etc. I've been doing a lot of road running so could have shin splints - which is a bastard. I had Osgood Schlatters about 18months ago, it wasn't funny and don't desperately want to repeat them.

How long does/will it take for it to correct itself? I've heard rest is all that I can do? I was crap at rest while I had Schlatters :mad: :rolleyes:

My body is frail :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shin splints are nasty, you're talking months of taking it easy here.... The time can vary hugely depending on how severe it is and how much you rest etc. I'd take up low impact exerecise such as swimming for a while....
    Re: Shin Splints
    Originally posted by Ego
    I was crap at rest while I had Schlatters

Yeah so was I, in fact I don't remember ever not playing footy in favour of rest, but they did clear off so I got lucky :) You'll have to rest this time though ego, my mate got them and had to concede defeat eventually.
    OK, this is not relating to the origianl post, but is relating to shin splints generally...

To avoid getting shin splints the correct strech is the back of the calf? correct...??
    standing both feet pointing foward, one in front of you and one behind, lean down on the front leg keeping the back leg heel to the floor. 5 - 10 second streches on each leg.
    How many repitions?
    Is this just at begining and end of exercise, or during aswell?

Are there better ways of warding off the evil?

Hoping some-one can confirm this or deny it with correct answers
    You should always warm and warm down, which means stretching all over and jogging both before and after exercise. Generally stretching each muscle once for about 8 seconds should be fine, but if you have trouble with the area, do it 2-3 times. Obviously be carefull not to over stretch it and cause more trouble.
    This should give you info about preventing shin splints

http://www.meriter.com/living/library/sports/splints.htm