Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is the Xbox dead already?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
It appears that the Xbox is dying a not particularly slow death. This comes in the form of Microsoft themselves announcing that the jewel in the Xbox crown in no longer to be an exlusive. That's right Halo is coming to the PC.

Okay it may not be Halo coming to the Cube or PS2 but it's enough to wipe that Halo-is-the-greatest-game-ever-and-it's-exclusive smile of their faces :D. The funny thing is who is responsible for killing the Xbox - Microsoft themselves.

I said before the console was released that for Microsoft simply wanted to make as much money as they possibly could. I've been proved right. The Xbox has had very slow sales since it's release. The Cube and PS2 have stomped all over it in every chart and all the sales figures. Xbox had the price drop after a month in the shops which was quickly followed by a drop in price for the Cube. The industry and consumer alike expected for a PS2 price drop - a drop which hasn't occured simply because the Xbox doesn't worry Sony enough to warrent it.

The Xbox is dead. Long live the Cube and PS2.

You may have guessed that I don't appreciate Microsoft attempting to simply buy their way into the gaming industry.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone knew that Halo was coming to the PC eventually, it was originally a PC game, and just got stolen by microsoft. However, I wouldn't count the Xbox completely dead yet, although it has flaws, it has severall strong points:

The best controllers in my opinion ever,
    Plugs into standard Ethernet
    It's similarity with PCs

Once I get an X box some time in the near future, I'll plug it into my home lan, and I bet you that after a few days tinkering I'll be able to play around with the insides of it from my PC. Hell, they may even include PC vs Xbox Halo as standard when the release the PC version - it's certainly easily doable.
    Re: Is the Xbox dead already?
    Originally posted by Ego
    The Xbox is dead. Long live the Cube and PS2.

Sorry Alistair, ego is right.

I have a big problem also with the Xbox.

I'm afraid that the strong points don't outweigh the weaknesses of the system.

Ok, you may have a point about the controller, but what is a controller without the games. And lets face it, it seems microsoft have chosen to remove any advantages game-wise that arise.
    besides this, the two other contenders have a lot more experience with consoles than microsoft.

Sorry mate
    Microsoft has signed it's own death warrent over this one. They seem to think that they can buy the industry and simply don't have a clue about anything. Before the release of the Xbox Microsoft made a very big thing of the release of it's specs. The simple thing is that the specs really don't impress gamers - games do. Look at the specs for the PSone, N64, Dreamcast and even the Saturn and you'll see how the PSone should never ever have dominated that market. PSone pretty much single-handedly put the Dreamcast on it's arse.

For Microsoft it's about money. Part of the reason Microsoft has gone arse over tit is that they've effectively released a machine to directly compete with the PS2. When a console has the success of the PS behind it and already has a years head start why compete with it? This is why I think the Cube will survive in a N64-style. There's room for two consoles in the market - not 3.

Alistair. A few things I need to say. Firstly controllers are a matter of preference for most people. You can't say "I'm gonna buy an XBox cos I like the controller". It needs games to sort itself out. The Cube controller I think is alright but would take getting used to. The PS controller was near perfect with imitations for the PC etc springing up all over the place - a lot of people liked it. If it ain't broke don't fix it - hence we see the PS2 controller.

Ethernet? I'm convinced that if there was sufficient demand for it Sony would release some sort of way having the PS2 on an ethernet. Yours is not really an average case as you want a console to do something else. Others may want to play DVDs for no extra cost. Or transport their console a lot.

The market is crowded. There's not enough room for 3 consoles. One must be unloaded and it will be our huge, black, noisy, rich friend the XBox.
    Bravo

I have to say that Sony has the ideas and the games, and Nintendo have the support from long time buyers.

I actually feel a traitor to an extent, considering I had every console Nintendo brought out, and then I recently switched to sony, but that is the thing, I switched to SONY; not Microsoft, or even SEGA, when they were still around. there is a reason for this, and I think Ego was quite clear in making it known.
    Re: Bravo
    Originally posted by unclebobert
    I actually feel a traitor to an extent,

Brand loyalty is a funny thing. You feel a traitor for not buying a console that a comapny brings out. The company only wants high sales figures - they don't really care too much about who those sales are to. The same happans in other industries though - I've got several mates who absolutely swear by Adidas Predators football boots.

Microsoft are rich bastards. Ok so are Sony but anyone who doubted Sony know what they are doing has been proved very wrong when it was Sony consoles that have killed 2 Sega consoles and half killed a Nintendo one. That said I'm sad that Sega aren't making consoles anymore - but then there isn't really room for them. Give me Microsofts money and I could plan and execute a more successful console - the only executing Microsoft have done with the XBox is themselves.

That said the XBox has provided me with 6 months of enjoyment laughing at the numerous money grabbing mistakes :D
    That whole customer loyalty thing..

well tbh, Nintendo are the only ones who ever showed anything towards it though. like holding big seminars and giving free stuff away. This is mainly due to sales though, I'll grant you. because Nintendo's customers are mainly those who come back time after time because of loyalty.

The Adidas is a different story..

btw, have you finished Medal of Honour yet?

and what exactly is Timesplitters?
    btw, have you finished Medal of Honour yet?

and what exactly is Timesplitters?

I've finished Medal of Honour but still play it. Brilliant game and I can't recommend it enough :D

TimeSplitters is a first person shooter from much of the development team behind GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on the 64. It was a launch game and I bought it when it came out and still play it. I've very nearly finished it now - and my "overall time" on it currently shows 2 days 22 hours 30mins. The real figure is probably more than that... :eek:. Platinum now so buy that as well :D
    Timesplitters you say??

*cough,coughshitegamecough,cough*

:p:D
    Timesplitters is great!

Always knew the X Box would suck, big time.
    tell me ego, as you seem to be a big gamer...:p , do find that games recently have becoe excellent in quality, but the quantity of each has become less and less?

I have so far bought somewhere in the region of 5 games over the last 3 months...sad I know...but I seem to finish them within a week... the hardest game I have bought was Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty, for the PC, and that was ages ago...what do you thin, are games getting shorter with their increase in graphics, sound, control, etc.?

I feel a poll coming on...
    tell me ego, as you seem to be a big gamer...:p , do find that games recently have becoe excellent in quality, but the quantity of each has become less and less?

I have so far bought somewhere in the region of 5 games over the last 3 months...sad I know...but I seem to finish them within a week... the hardest game I have bought was Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty, for the PC, and that was ages ago...what do you thin, are games getting shorter with their increase in graphics, sound, control, etc.?

I'm not sure.

Final Fantasy has always combined amazing lifespan with good to outstanding everything else. MGS2 springs to mind as a game that promised everything except a reasonable lifespan. I think that in terms of actual scenerios, levels, missions etc games are getting shorter but developeres now spend more time making those last longer by adding extra things to do. Dog tags in MGS2 for example.

I don't buy that many games but I do have nearly all of the must own titles for the PS2 plus a few others which caught my eye. I don't religiously buy them on a scheduled basis. I might not buy anything for months before buying 3 in as many weeks - depends whats being released. There is always a slow period during the summer and then an amazing boom in games around September :D.
    All the systems discussed are going to die in the not too distant future, surely whats important is that enough decent games are released for you to consider what you paid worthwhile.

Who cares if no other game is ever released for the XboX, if you're happy with what you have already.

More than once a month i still get out my NES and play Elite. Nothing else will run it properly.... Those wireframe polygons just don't appear on anything newer.

Also mariocart get some quite serious playtime on the SNES when my mates are round - (2 play, 1 skins up, 1 comments and generally trash-talks).
    Actually the most uptodate system i have gets the least play, the N64.
    I figure by 2006 i'll have a game cube aswell, just to round off the collection.

:)