Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gap Year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend/boyfriend is going on a gap year, roughin' it round the world for a year, and I am going to Uni. I can totally trust him not to be unfaithful and everything, but I dont know how it'll be with barely any contact for a year, and also I will be meeting lots of people at Uni. I think we will both change with the experiences we have in the year...has anyone else had this problem/situation? It isnt as if we can see each other at the weekend or holidays, this is gonna be a full year. I dont know what to do, we have 2months before it all happens. Also, we are at the 'ready for physical things' stage, would it be bad to before he leaves?? Or would this help?
Thank you so much :)

Comments

• Options
    In all honesty I doubt he'd remain chaste for a whole year away, meeting new people and drinking many, many alcoholic beverages on his travels. Especially since your relationship hasn't gotten to the 'physical stage' yet and please don't take that to mean if you sleep with him now he'll be loyal.

I dunno about this one, a lil help here peeps...
  • Options
    Hmmmm, Do I say what you want to hear, Or do I speak the truth? ....................
    OK, here goes............The truth.
    I honestly do not think that your boyfriend will spen a year travelling the world, seeing all there is too see and living through new experiences without becoming sexually physicial with another lady along the way. Now that does not mean that he will not come back still in love with you! My suggestion would be to call it a day for now, and see how things are in a year when he comes back. (I don't think you will go through the college experience without sexual contact either)
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Forget the sex thing. Have you been together long?
    I think you have to be selfish in a way because you haven't considered whether you can be without a boyfriend for a year. Are you willing to wait. You might think that now but a few months is different especially when you get new friends. You may find you actually grow apart coz you'll have different interests and experiences.

I may be a bit biased coz im single so if i am everyone should be :p