Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Good Tourists/bad tourists

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Colonialism has a LOT to do with the way language has been exported around the world. About 1/3 of the world speaks English becuase about 1/3 of the world was, at one point, owned by England. Its the same reason why they speak French in Haiti and Quebec, Spanish in South America and the USA, Portuguese in Brazil, Chinese in Japan and Taiwan, and so on.

Maybe the USAs influence continues the need for English, but to argue that people know English because of the Americans is quite blatantly stupid. People spoke Latin when the Romans ruled the world, and a LOT of languages still have large Latinate influences- especially French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, and English because of the Norman conquests. That same reason explains the languages, a creole of English, in places like Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and so on.

Face facts, the world speaks English because England ruled the world. If it was the Chinese whod done it wed all speak Mandarin. Colonialism plays the major role in which country speaks which language...try and dress it up as you want, but thats the way it is. And Im not being xenophobic, I didnt get a A-grade A'level in linguistics for nothing people.
    An A grade in linguistics and you think they speak 'chinese' in Japan? :p
    Japanese is a dialect of Chinese, they are incredibly similar languages. And the Chinese exported it to Japan, who exported it back. Check your history books.

Just didnt explaijn it very well:p
    Even so, they do not speak chinese, whatever you mean by that, in Japan. :p
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Even so, they do not speak chinese, whatever you mean by that, in Japan. :p

Yeah, as I said, I just phrased it badly:p

(And I meant Mandarin).
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Its the same reason why they speak French in Haiti and Quebec, Spanish in South America and the USA, Portuguese in Brazil, Chinese in Japan and Taiwan, and so on.

I think you better go back to school.

"Chinese" isn't a spoken language at all, and certainly not spoken in Japan.
    I'm not saying that the British Empire didn't cause a lot of people around the world to speak English. However, the Empire crumbled during the time of Winston Churchill and now a number of generations have passed who have not lived under British rule. They have developed their own cultures and mainly reverted back to their "old" languages. Without British rule, there is no reason for the new generations of these countries to speak English. Except that they need to communicate with America.
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    "Chinese" isn't a spoken language at all, and certainly not spoken in Japan.

Are you deliberately being a dumb fuck or is it just your normal character?

Im sure Ive alreday said several times that I meant Mandarin and Cantonese, and that varieties of that ARE spoken in Japan. Japanese and "Chinese" are very similar languages, and Im not just saying that because Im a little racist Englander like the world seems to want to portray us as.

Its probably not such a good example, though, as it is more why Latin, Norse and French have such dominance in English as to why peopel in Quebec speak fully-fledged French.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    They have developed their own cultures and mainly reverted back to their "old" languages.

That rubbish my friend, English is still listed as an official language of countries such as India, Pakistan and South Africa. Its not because of the "international" language...France doesnt list English as an official national language. Its because of history, and because of the Commonwealth...nothing else.
    Without British rule, there is no reason for the new generations of these countries to speak English. Except that they need to communicate with America.

Its still taught. Thats why they still learn it. Granted, trade links are the reason why people learn and speak English now, but it all comes back down to history. Americans speak English because they are only five or six generations removed from the British and Irish homeland, no other reason. English is the global language because of Englands past. The reason why it still exists is undoubtedly trade however.

Are you deliberately being a dumb fuck or is it just your normal character?

Im sure Ive alreday said several times that I meant Mandarin and Cantonese, and that varieties of that ARE spoken in Japan. Japanese and "Chinese" are very similar languages, and Im not just saying that because Im a little racist Englander like the world seems to want to portray us as.

Its probably not such a good example, though, as it is more why Latin, Norse and French have such dominance in English as to why peopel in Quebec speak fully-fledged French.

Ah, a bright light in the universe, huh?

Mandarin and Cantonese are not much related to each other as spoken languages. As a matter of fact, a speaker of one will not understand a speaker of the other. So, which one is Japanese similar to?

In fact, Japanese (spoken) is not especially similar to either. It borrows a great deal of its traditional written idiograms from Chinese (the written language) although modern Japanese has simplified the written language a great deal.

Since you did so well in your linguistics courses, maybe you wouldn't mind answering a few questions?

What are the common means of emphasis in East Asian languages? Which are used in Japanese? Which in Mandarin? Which in Cantonese?

What are the words for water, hello, and work in each of the above spoken languages? What commonality is there? Is that commonality significantly different than the commonality among other languages in the region?

How many tones are used in each of the spoken languages above? If it isn't the same number, how do you explain the difference?

By the way, I hold Masters degrees in History and Linguistics. Have a nice day.

That rubbish my friend, English is still listed as an official language of countries such as India, Pakistan and South Africa. Its not because of the "international" language...France doesnt list English as an official national language. Its because of history, and because of the Commonwealth...nothing else.

Its still taught. Thats why they still learn it. Granted, trade links are the reason why people learn and speak English now, but it all comes back down to history. Americans speak English because they are only five or six generations removed from the British and Irish homeland, no other reason. English is the global language because of Englands past. The reason why it still exists is undoubtedly trade however.

That's a very strange reply. You say that I am wrong and reason it with things that I have already said.
    I haven't said that any of these countries have abandoned English, just that their people are now free to pursue their own interests and speak their own languages.
    Americans do speak English because the country was settled by the English. However, it can't really be considered a true British colony, as those settlers where striving to create a home that was far removed from England's values and ideals at the time.

Basically, I can't see why you're objecting to what I've said. I agree that a lot of the world speaks English because of the British Empire and you agree that it is also due to America.