Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The commonwealth fecking games

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
GRRRRRRRRRRRR, teedious shit, brought to us by the BBC 24/7, I'm not sure my patience will last here, as from thursday I'm crawling under my bed with a drip and sleeping till mid-august.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: The commonwealth fecking games
    Originally posted by ebb
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR, teedious shit, brought to us by the BBC 24/7, I'm not sure my patience will last here, as from thursday I'm crawling under my bed with a drip and sleeping till mid-august.

Surely it's worth watching just for the chance to laugh at the Scots and Welsh?

*is in denial about crap English atheletes*
    Re: Re: The commonwealth fecking games
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Surely it's worth watching just for the chance to laugh at the Scots and Welsh?

So we don't compete as Briatin in this one, can they not be content with the sodding olympics :mad:
    Re: Re: Re: The commonwealth fecking games
    Originally posted by ebb
    So we don't compete as Briatin in this one, can they not be content with the sodding olympics :mad:

Nope, separate nations, like football.

The whole athletic competitions are getting a bit of a joke (getting?), we all know that the US will win most things at the Olympics, and the Aussies will win most at the commonwealth...

*yawns*

I've subscribed to MUTV for the next month, just so that I can watch some live football... Its usually crap, but its nice to get some pre-season live footy on the telly.
    hey, i know several swimmers that are competing in the games! they deserve their moments of fame.

ok. thats bullshit. i dont really care whether they get broadcast or not. i just think its really cool that my friends are competing. and i recently met several people on the new zealand team that will also be competing there. theyve got cool accents and swim in the other direction (im an easily entertained american).
    Just because it isn't football.......
    Originally posted by Alistair

I know, outrageous isn't it? I mean, how can they possibly hold a huge sporting even without any football? :rolleyes:
    Its just rubbish, its all so bloody repeatative, every 100m race I've ever watched has looked exactley the same, so has every javelin ever thrown, so has every swimming race.

I'm now sitting with my TV on, what are the BBC cancelling their usual schedule for ? Scotland v Australia, womens hockey, I mean what the fuck ? I'd rather watch the antiques roadshow, why are these air head bosses pretending its such a big event, its not, the majoirity couldn't care less, Big Brother is a million miles ahead of it in terms of public intrest and thats people sitting in a house doing nothing, god knows how much of the tax payers money its cost :mad:
    Oh I take it all back, my life is now enriched with a Jamaican playing squash, even the poor bloody queen is there, who says she doesn't earn her money, I'd want a statley home to sit through that utter shite.
    moan moan moan moan.... :p

How about taking advantage of the fact that nothing you like is on and go play some sport with your mates?

I worry I'm getting bitter and twisted before my time, still I shall entertain myself over the weekend by getting slaughtered :D mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer
    Does that mean no neighbours :eek: :(

How about taking advantage of the fact that nothing you like is on and go play some sport with your mates?

So why did I buy a TV and armchair then? :rolleyes: ;)
    Well so much for the Commonwealth "fucking" games, the last few days has actually been quite intresting, with lots of good TV, just because it isn't football doesn't mean it's crap.
    Well so much for the Commonwealth "fucking" games, the last few days has actually been quite intresting, with lots of good TV, just because it isn't football doesn't mean it's crap.

I actually have to agree although i have not really become all that interested with it is still think other sports have a chance this is two weeks of a year football is practically 90% of the year.

Which bit exactley has provided a good bit of entertainment ? As there is generally bugger all on I've been watching quite a bit and I have to say I'm still unimpressed, I sat through the jumpers yesterday, that boring bloke, now he jumped the tinest amount further than the first bloke, if not for computers and that measuring thing both jumps wopuld of looked identical, once you've seen one bloke jump you've seen them all, its all identical apart from the number (result) flashing on the screen which differs slightly. Whats so intresting about that ? the same with the hammer bloke who won, how shit, the just hurl a lump of metal into a field, its enough to send you to sleep.

The two best moments were when our runner fell over in the 100m and the fact the play 'Land of hope and Glory' instead of God save the queen.
    Originally posted by ebb
    The two best moments were when our runner fell over in the 100m and the fact the play 'Land of hope and Glory' instead of God save the queen.

Bah, shame on you...

I take it you didn't watch the squash then? Or the hockey? Or the Mountain Bike XC? Or the Boxing? Just because it's not what your used to doesn't mean it's crap. People could say football is boring, it's just 2 teams trying to put an inflated spherical bladder into a net at opposing sides of the field. It all consists of people "kicking" a ball.
    I love watching the gymnastics. The effort and skill which goes into that sport is incredible, and it constantly has to change with new routines/moves being displayed, and no one knows what the final score will be until the landing is made. :) (I'm my own slightly biased opinion ;))

I remember falling off the bars once and I said to my old coach the routine for me was too hard and she said, 'If gymnastics was easy they would have called it football!' ;):p

Brought to you by football365.com 10 reasons football should be included in the Commonwealth Games:

1) England would go into every tournament as favourites - having never quite got so far as Brazil on their empire-building expeditions.

2) Having cunningly lost the War of Independence, there would be absolutely no chance of the USA competing, sneakily doing well and then claiming it as a sign of impending world domination.

3) Imagine how many footballers would be keen to play when they realised that Anguilla were sending an athlete called Desiree Cocks.

4) It would give those countries not good enough to get to the World Cup (hello Montserrat, the Seychelles and Wales), something to do in those long summer months.

5) What better place to try out the F365 readers’ suggestions of two balls, three teams, rabid dogs, inflatable suits and celebrity goalkeepers than the Commonwealth Games?

6) Even Scotland v the Turks & Caicos Islands would have to be better than watching the Cook Islands take on Guernsey at Lawn Bowls. We won’t spoil it by telling you who won - you'll have to watch the highlights.

7) It would be the one sport in the whole Commonwealth Games that Australia would have absolutely no chance of dominating. Until they bring in darts and dominoes, of course.

8) The Scotland v Turks & Caicos Islands game would be your last chance of seeing a tight, enthralling 0-0 draw in Manchester City’s new stadium.

9) It would silence Chelsea fans who insist that Graeme le Saux is still good enough for international football - let's see how he fares up against Matt le Tissier in the Jersey v Guernsey grudge match.

10) It would be nice for David Beckham to win something in Manchester this year.

Just have to add that I've watched a fair bit of the games this week. Hmm they're alright. It's amazing to see athletes go out and run those times :eek: and jump that high, far, etc etc. Still want some football though after watching Villa the other day :D
    Originally posted by go_away
    I remember falling off the bars once and I said to my old coach the routine for me was too hard and she said, 'If gymnastics was easy they would have called it football!' ;):p

One of the best, and truest, things a football coach ever said to me was when I was about 7:

"Football is a very easy game. Pass, move into space, pass, move into space, pass, move into space. It's the individuals that make it hard"